Thursday, February 25, 2010

Storm Tide

Photo by SnaggleTooth HT 5:20PM Feb 25 2010
.
.
Looks like we're on the right side of the current storm. The news reported NYC n Philly are getting nailed with alot of snow again. Maine will get some more towards the week-end according to the forecast.
.
When I left for errands about 5:20 PM it was high tide. This pic was the tide level down at the boat ramp beach on B-cove. The storm surge is fairly high. The four-foot corner of the little seawall guarding the bluff is almost submerged, n there was less than ten-feet of beach sand left uncovered. I had to keep wiping rain off Digi-Cam, but it wasn't too bad then.
.
Down the hill the M-cove water was very nearly in the Boulevarde. It was getting too dark for more pics, n down-pouring again, so I didn't stop. Shopping had torrential parking lots. I felt bad for the cart collector, but coveted her rubber yellow coat...
.
When I returned back about an hour later, the sea water was still way up there, as tho it were still high tide... but at least it didn't flood into the roads. Further north-east facing coastline may not be so lucky. Now the winds n rain are adding up again.
.
Finally after several chores I'm sitting here with Mischief with Olympics on tv, n doing some online tasks. I noticed an unusual sound from across the small room, which I could hear n not see just after Mischief turned her head that way. Upon closer flashlight inspection, I had to hurry n move a bunch of stuff like my Accoustic-electric guitar n some paper art work, n covered the bookcase with plastic due to the attic vent leaking n going thru the ceiling, which just cracked there... (another paper artwork Previously posted)
.
Well, at least I have a bucket to use, n got things out of the waters way before they were ruined- whew! Good thing I wasn't at work all night, n had Mischief to help me notice soon after it began. That could've been a disaster going unchecked too long in all this precipitation.
May your Storm Tide go well!
I am so lucky...

11 Comments:

At 6:41 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

Lovely photo - and are those homes or businesses in the distance?

Lucky you to have vigilant Mischief and that you were home before any water damage.

I hope the Storm Tide passes quickly and that you have a good weekend!

 
At 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

loved the water in the picture,
how elegant!
I always enjoy my visit to beaches..
best!

 
At 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://jingleyanqiu.wordpress.com/2010/02/26/more-happy-award-among-friendship-circle/

sorry,
the previous link is wrong,
this is the one to my blog.
Best!

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger TALON said...

I think we're definitely on the wrong side of this storm :(

I'm so glad that Mischief alerted you in time to avert what would have been a real disaster! I hope the weather eases up for you soon.

Love the photo - has such a serene quality about it.

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Meredith said...

So glad Mischief was on guard and you were at home to avert disaster. The paper art is intriguing; I thought esp. the reference to Detroit Shuffle was clever and well-done. :) I'd hate for more of your artwork to have been inundated.

You mentioned loving Robert Frost in your visit to my place, and I answered that yes, he was a good one, but that among New England poets I actually preferred Emily Dickinson, Amy Lowell, and Anne Sexton - realizing after I wrote it that they were all Massachusetts ladies. Good to have met you, yet another female Massachusetts-based artist, and I do appreciate the visit!

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger Cloudia said...

Appreciate your closing wish...here on my boat. Yes, when it rains in things get primitive fast.

Aloha, soggy Friend!


Comfort Spiral

 
At 4:11 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Lynn, Those are homes. the large Blue Victorian is home to a retired Portugese fisherman, n the others are small cottages. I'm greatful she alerted me so fast! Thanks

JingleYQ, I'm used to the water being much lower there. It does look rough for that little cove. Thanks,

JingleYQ, Thanks for the link

Talon, You got the snow too, but at least not alot of it- Precip is suposed to meander around again all week-end, too. I am so relieved to get the drip right away- thank the kitty! (treats!) Folks driving by thought I was nuts standing in the rain for that pic, I bet!

Meredith, Mischief does good work! James Montgomery is an inspiration to me with his Detriot Shuffle. That Shuffle letters image is percieved as vibrating when read on paper. Thanks. Most of your MA poets, Emily for certain, stayed at the Manse on Walden Pond where Thoreau stayed a bit also, which I toured several times.
I enjoy Frosts abrupt, short-syllable words, seeming so simple, except for the context of meter n rhyme he placed them in. Thankyou for the return visit.

Cloudia, Storms n Rain on n near the sea are a force to behold. Good luck always on your houseboat!
You're welcome

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger LL Cool Joe said...

Glad the water didn't damage anything. We live on the top of a hill and get some very strong weather conditions here. Water damage is common in our house unfortunately.

 
At 2:42 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

LLcoolJ, I'm on a hill too, near the water, so it's pretty windy here. Luckily the trees help a bit. Good luck with your roof! Thanks-

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

How the heck did I miss this post?? :) Sorry. Too much bra flinging late, I guess.

What is Mischief's favorite Olympic sport?

A couple of years ago we had major leaks in our roof -- 12-quart pots were filling in like, 10 minutes, yikes -- not good!!

Glad your stuff was caught in the nick of time. I swear -- cats are the smartest creatures on earth! Mine warns me often too of impending mini-disasters.


xoxoxo

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger David Edward said...

a pox on drippy roof leaks !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home