Saturday, April 29, 2006

Yard

Photo by Snaggle Tooth

Here's the very last pic composition left to show from when the construction was underway out my window. These are my fav toys, out on the deck after getting a majorly needed cleaning. Wish I had more time to spend with them. Repeditive motion from work this week is numbing out my hands. Hopefully I'll find some "can play' time before the week-end's over. I'll have to get some greener shotz for ya soon.
...
We had beautiful, sunny Saturday here on the Upper Cape, a bit on the chilly n windy side of nice. It's the first non-rainy, over 45 degrees (Farenhiet) week-end day to be had here in over a month! All the great weather days have been work-days so far...
...
I had a good, long, just putter-about day. Lotsa stuff was checked-off the 2-do list. Got out to recycling, n spent most of my daylight workin on the yard.
...
There was enough dead wood out there to build a raft, almost... I picked-up rubbish all over the place. After hand-mowing the patchy grass, BBM n Baby-J stopped by from their walk to play awhile. We had fun plucking dandelions n finding other flowers.
...
A couple of red Tulips are up several weeks early under the Ash tree and there's at least 4 more buds, up from the usual 3 blooms around Mother's day. The nieghbor's son, Alan, once picked them to give to his Mom n got in trouble. That's how I always remember when they bloom.
The blue Periwinkles on the R's side are beginning to open up also. They're one of my favs. Got some up on the deck in a container not ready to bloom yet there. Buds are coming up on the Lillies of the Valley, n Tiger Lillies are sprouting their green shoots.
...
Tree pollen season is just beginning, mostly Maple. The trees're all beginning to show leaf-buds finally. This week the bright yellow Forsynthias have been predominant on 2-work drives. I've been taking 24-hour allergy pills to help me deal with symptoms. My eyes still get very itchy, n I get head-aches. Can't wait until the whole trees-coming-out thing is over.
...
I love the yard this time of year, before the people downstairs come in for the summer n take it over. I hate it when they weed-whack all my favs here into oblivion, (Periwinkles in the lawn) as the man has a crash-n-burn (killing) gardening talent. It never occurs to him to move plants to more appropriate locations. He just kills them, until nothing is left. Ya may remember I mentioned last year I finally walked him throught the yard, pointing out where not to weed-whack, n saved some of the perrenials, like the bramble-roses that weren't being allowed to mature enough to blossom.
...
This time of year I spend awhile moving the spreader-species about to different areas, to fill bare spaces. That's how I ended up with alot of deck-container baby fir trees (from out of the lawn). Now I pick off the cones before they drop off the tree. In the house the cones open to drop seeds I can plant in other places. I also put some in the downstairs gardens.
...
I've got tons of seeds from last years annuals to plant this year. It's not safe to plant outside until the end of May here, usually. I try to do some early indoors, but don't have alot of space, then they tend to get knocked over by my kitties a bit, too.
...
I've definately got a green enough thumb to be a farmer, if I only had a farm... Ah, someday! I always wanted a greenhouse too. For now, I'll have to make do with getting banished upstairs all summer, with my containers on the deck. The deck is actually the best (n largest) room of my apartment!
But until Memorial Day, the yard is mine!

14 Comments:

At 1:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice strings, i think i have just as many wind instruments. :-)

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger X said...

Your toys look like fun to play with! :) That reminds me, I've always wanted to play the banjo! (LOL, no clue why!)

Our tulips are coming up too! I can't waitto start planting things. Gardening has always been a time for me to clear my head...June can't come soon enough :)

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Hello RayW, I left a few sets of maracas, tamborines, odd drums, n the harmonica collection outa the shot...
I have a daughter who does many winds, also. Clarinet, Bass Clarinet, Dbl E-Flat, Alto sax, flute, ect. My other daughter used to do lotsa percussion stuff like drums n bells, ect.
Always glad to meet other musicians! Thanx for the comment!

K, Maybe it's those latent "He-Haw" memories... the banjo's tougher than I thought, especially the finger-pickin styles, cause I'm too used to guitar n have to really think!
Into garden recreation also, eh? Any time we can get above freezing is an "A+" in my book... June's only a month away, but seems like forever waitin to plant, doesn't it?!

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Milk Brain said...

a nice post showing how relaxing it can be down there until all teh tourists come along and mess everything up. enjoy while you can, even if it means your doing yard. but alteast you can take pride in how nice the yard will look when the flowers are in bloom! the lilly of the valelys you gave me didn't come back :( atleast not yet. they are in a place that gets very little sun at the moment. i had just put them there to get them out of the bucket. my garden by the lilacs is coming back beautifully and i can't wait to see it when all the little green bushes sprouting up will be the flowers.

we expanded the veggie garden out back some, and planted 3 dwarf blueberry bushes, asparagus, and strawberry plants. maybe by the time we come down in late june to go to edaville something will be ready and we can bring some down for you!

edaville is having a thomas the train thing on the weekend school gets out so we're taking evan. hopefully he won't be scared of the train! (even though he loves them... from a distance!)

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Jinsane said...

Very nice pic!!! I would love to hear them all played at once!!

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

My deepest apologies for not getting here sooner to say hello!
Wedding and party season is upon us, and I can't keep up with all that it entails!

That aside.... Yay for the tulips!
(we had ours, but they have all gone to rest for next spring). Everything else is coming up nicely, though. Almost too soon as the winter weather was a wee bit mild this year, and everything got tricked into coming out too early. Then our weather sunk back into the low 60's yesterday (not so great for an outdoor wedding that we did).

Love all the instuments you had displayed.... and I can't wait to hear you play them sometime!

mb~ I remember Edaville!

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Milk Brain said...

i just wanted to add you can often catch me playing air drums on the highway as i'm rocking out to the radio. lol. i just love listening to great guitarists (i wonder why) and drummers on the radio on the highway with the windows down in my state truck. (an 01 suburban with state seal on the side)

 
At 1:34 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

MB, The Lillies of the Valley are big root-spreaders n Those roots are prob still alive. They take longer with less sun, need at least a partial-day. The ones I put in the front garden last fall are only sprouting about a half-inch so far, so give 'em time. Can always give ya more, if needed.

Jen, thanks, glad ya like it.
Wish I had that many arms sometimes! If I work hard at the 4-track recorder I could seem to play most at once... haven't had that much goof-off time in a long while... never mind deciding which song could use them all...

Ellen, no apology needed for the weary-hard-workers! Between weddings n Grads ya must be gettin dizzy-
This week (Mon) here is stormy n rough seas, very strong winds, rain, 40's, n danger of high tide flooding again.

MB is the percussionist! I like to drive n sing, myself...
Hey, what is that in Evan's mouth?

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Milk Brain said...

the easter bunny brought evan a bunny potatohead for easter, and those are it's teeth.. it was a cute easter picture. best easter gift this year... the little $2 bottle of no-spill bubbles. i should reccomend it to christine for james... it's great and can fit in the little hands of small kids with no mess!

 
At 1:31 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

MB, Oh... Bunny teeth! Thankx for answering!
Hmmm, I wonder if I'm allergic to those bubbles too... probably...

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - Wow, you play banjo too?

We'll have to jam sometime if I can get up in your neck of the woods.

Hope the hands are doing better. You and me both need time to jam. I have to restring my guitars soon. The music store is so far away from where I live. :(

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

 
At 1:22 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo, I'm actually whining about a sore arm today. Thanks for the well wishes!
Well, all mine could use new strings too, n got 2 bows that need re-horse-hairing (one is still useable) been puttin off lotsa extras lately.
BTW the little blue one is a mandolin. "The stick" in the steel case is an electric violin. The banjo's my newest toy, lots more to learn on it.

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Wow, beautiful collection of instruments! The baby bongoes are so cute. And all displayed with your artist eye! Well done.

xo

 
At 2:19 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

JanF, I knew you'd like the subject of my musicness... Thanks.
I don't like the BG washout due to the deck in the shade n the sunlight back there too bright. Oh well...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home