Wednesday, August 01, 2012

JulyLeftovers

Image by SnaggleTooth July 2012

All my grand plans for this Day Off came to a screeching halt when Little Truck's brake pedal lost hydraulic pressure yesterday- To the floor! What a way to end the month... But I made it home alive n with no problems, thanks to neutral gear, the emegency brake, n the complete lack of traffic or red lights in the dead of night- whew!.


No errands to run, just pouring rains all day n no ambition to walk to stores in the gushing deep puddles. (Otherwise known as "Swimmin'")




Photo by SnaggleTooth July 2012
 I called a guy about the cost of a tow for two miles down the road, n the price has gone way- up! They wanted $90 bux cash, n all I have is plastic. I wasted all kinds of time going thru the accumulated junk-mail pile, looking for an old Triple-A auto club ad that apparently is no longer sent out by snail mail. I wanted an idea of the price, n a number, or website url.

Image by SnaggleTooth July 2012
 There were tons of AARP paper ads tho... (The Old Folks Club) Another one I should sign up for one day soon. So the Google search got me to a sign-up page, n I still hadn't seen a price quote. It's been years since I was a member- Then they wouldn't let me sign-up online, cause I was "a duplicate account" in the records, n had to call on the phone. More wasted time... Have I mentioned I detest wasting my time?



Photo by SnaggleTooth July 2012
 Well yay, finally signed up over the phone via plastic card, n for only $52, but I have to wait a day for a tow, or there's a same-day fee of $35, n then I'm a mere $3 shy of that original $90 it would cost to get to the service station the easy way.
Maybe August won't begin by raining on me...? 


Image by SnaggleTooth July 2012
 Today's post pics are swim area Buoys-on-a-string by the bathhouse, my toes in the M-cove water, traps (lobster anyone?) near a neighbor's beach steps, n a pretty M-cove from the bridge on Weds evening (a day before my long drive north).

Photo by SnaggleTooth July 2012
 I feel pretty safe in our sheltered bay waters here, but any large fish would be easily seen, reported, n followed in a boat by the harbor master, as has been the case with a 6-foot Sturgeon in this cove, n a Dolpin in the past. Further down Cape out near the seals in Truro, a swimmer was finally victimized by a White shark on the last day of July. TG he's expected to live.

Photo by SnaggleTooth July 2012

The last line of this online news report states "Scientists confirmed it was a great white shark, the first in the area since 1936." For details about what is meant by that quoted year in the article, read my old ESR post "Shark Tail Soup" which has had tons of hits this year since the recent shark sightings here, btw-

Normally I like to swim like a seal over my head in the deeper water, but this year I'm not pushing my luck...

20 Comments:

At 8:47 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

Yikes - that is scary, what happened to your car!

I'm glad you got your toes in the cove. Lovely, that.

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Thanks Lynn, I was very fortunate that happened late n not earlier in traffic! Still waiting to get the Truck back tho- Glad you liked the pics. Been a slow blog day here so far!

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Okay, who took the baby cribs and made lobster pots out of them?> :) :)

Good thing you know how to work your truck. I remember once having to do that with the parking brake on a stick shift whos brakes had also failed. Leaky wheel cylinder?

Bring your guitar and serenade the mechanic to get a price reduction! :)

Yes, I agree with Lynn, love the toes shot.

And the buoys, lots of fish to eat sounds good.

xooxo

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

Frame that altered foot picture!

It is almost time for you to write the book on traumatic events.

 
At 2:03 AM, Blogger LL Cool Joe said...

One of my nightmares would involve my cars breaks failing me. You did so well to get home safely, that sounds very scary. Can your truck be repaired?

 
At 3:01 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

JanF, my neighbor the Portuguese Fisherman Has been known to build his own traps, I think it's his SIL running the boats out now tho. When you see the B-cove floating platforms in some pics between the ramp n the marina, it's thiers.
Glad you like the electric toes. Well I have to compensate for not using nail polish, I'm allergic. Fishies- swin for your lives1

Gran Annie, You think it's that good? The problem with the events is it's a large array of them. How do I focus in only a few? i can write an encyclopedia in it. Many volumes...

llcoolJ, Yep it felt like a nightmare! TG no one was there to hit! The brakeline broke clean off the calibers. That doesn't happen often. Perhaps an earlier pothole hit contributed to the failure- otherwise I have to blame Meineke who made those calibers several years back. Parts of the ride near home that were uphill really helped me slow down to stop. Living on a hill has perks-
It's getting fixed, but the cost may be high. 4 days of walking already

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger G. B. Miller said...

Sometimes, life just gets you coming and going.

At least on the bright side, your August can only go uphill now. :D

 
At 4:06 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

G, Mostly I'm going like hell, n not getting anywhere for it! thanks

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Neo said...

I heard you ev, give me a few days and check your email. I can't post what I'm doing in a public forum.

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Neo said...

sneak peak, JBI is getting a reboot. Just not where you think... *wink*

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Neo said...

oh, and *HUGS*


Been too long my friend. See you on the other side of the pen.

 
At 4:54 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo, Neo, n Neo, You're just not the type to ignore what you can do in this medium. Glad you're working something out to have some fun. See your new project soon I hope! Thanks for stopping in again

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Neo said...

13!

Thanks. Check your email. :>

 
At 4:49 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo, ok

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Erica B said...

holy crap, right off the calipers?? that's scary! o_O glad you made it safely!

Have you had a chance to fix the tire on the bike I gave you? I was wondering if you have been using it at all.

I need to get AAA too, we don't have it, and I wish we did. Are you having the new place uptown doing the work?

 
At 5:13 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

MB, Yep, I'm alive. I blew up the tire for a few short spins. Have the new tire tube, but got sidetracked on the tire removal- I need to undo the brakes to get the tire off, plus figure out how to get the chain gear-tension correct after- tricky! Still need a helmet too. Haven't been to the new guy yet. AAA- one tow paid for itself!

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

What kind of helmet do you need?

xoxo

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

JanF, my town actually has a bicycle helmet law.

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Snaggle - Sent you something in your email. Not sure if your spam filter ate it. I'll resend it just in case.

Peace,

 
At 5:58 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo, ok thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home