Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Lake

 Photo by SnaggleTooth July 2012

This is a pretty n familiar sight seen after reaching my destination on my recent road trip. I've visited this place since I was a little girl with my family on yearly summer vacations to visit my paternal grandfather, aunts, uncles, n cousins. 


The old camp which began as a one room log shack without amenities evolved into a pretty A-frame with running water n electricity. My Gramps lived there every summer but had to winter in town, n then eventually at my parents house near Boston. 


 Photo by SnaggleTooth July 2012
 I didn't visit the old camp, this trip. Just stopped at a nearby rest area here to think, eat lunch, n relax a bit before I had to be somewhere back in town. 

That peak seen in the distance over the little lake marina is Mount Katadin in Baxter State Park. My recently deceased uncle n his wife, who died several years ago at this lake, once led my two girls n me on a wild hike toward the mountain in search of moose sightings.


The park trails we went up were unspoiled, beautiful, n green. We stepped over stones thru the water, went around several lake shores, n saw some moose in the distance. In those days I carried a manual SLR with a 200mm lens  camera around my neck. I remember being afraid of breaking the cam on the rough terrain at some points of the hike. 

Image by SnaggleTooth July 2012
 That day I didn't take alot of pics, but the one of my aunt n uncle I took at the park's large, mural painted, rock sign made it to the memorial pic collage, n brought back that wonderful day's memory. I'd gotten double prints when developed by mail, n sent them out with Xmas cards. Tho my face didn't make it into the memorial pic collection, I was represented by several that I remembered taking n giving out later. Another was the one of my Gramps n his four sons taken at the camp when they were still all alive n well. Some pics can really make my day, especially when shared n appreciated as they were lovingly gazed at by all those attending. 

Image by SnaggleTooth July 2012

There's no way I could drive all the way up there n not be compelled to go see that lake, even tho it added more distance to the long ride, n was unnessisary. I also can't resist taking some pics, even if I have taken similar ones so long ago. Things change, n also I want to chronicle how it made me feel to see that sight...

9 Comments:

At 5:40 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

What a lovely place! I'm glad you got to stop there. And that's a great pic of your gramps and his sons. I like how one of them is toasting the photographer!

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

No wonder you have such a creative mind after growing up in such great day-dreaming wonder.

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Erica B said...

I remember that walk.. it seemed like we walked forever before we turned around, and I remember when we crossed a brook you were really scared to cross- because you didn't want to to drop your camera in the water! We never did see any moose though. And just the other day I was thinking of Aunt H's cucumber salad which was so dang tasty with paper thin slices of cukes... i searched online and found an awesome recipe for it.. I damn near ate 6 (pickling) cucumbers in 1 sitting. Funny, I don't remember that marina off in the distance... I did have a dream about the camp semi-recently (a couple months ago) I would love to visit again someday with the kids, I'm sure they would wake up throw on their suits andgo for a swim for breakfast, the way we did. I would teach them spades and cribbage and let them oogle therotary phone (which is probably gone) and let them sleep in the loft. They would love it. I think.. especially if the boat was still there, and then I could water ski!

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Lynn, I'm really glad I got there with time to see it again. That's Roger, one of two still alive along with the other white shirt, My dad far right, "Wally" (nickname) far left who the service was for. There's a pic of his wife in the archive under "moldy Oldies" I'm going to edit the link in- forgot about that scanned pic-

Gran Annie, N I'm a nature lover too, would rather visit the middle of nowhere than the big city anytime! That mountain is a sight for dreams, isin't it?
N It's really boring there so you need to day dream!

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Tabor said...

Very interesting to visit places of our youth and try to put our adult selves into the scenery. Looks so peaceful. Love that area of the world.

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger LL Cool Joe said...

I always feel I wouldn't really want to go back to some of my childhood haunts, but that's because I don't have great memories of my childhood.

It looks like a really beautiful place.

One of your photos looks like stained glass windows. :)

 
At 4:05 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

MB, how did you sneak in there! I was really paraniod about breaking that glass n wrecking the film too! I do rememnber seeing a moose but it was halfway around a lake. I recently thought of that cucumber salad too! I want some. The marina has been built up, it used to be a small, one story shack with a small pier that I remember stopping at a few times. I was kinda bummed out it was in the way of the mountain view from the rest area.

Tabor, I have a gazillion memories of that place. I'm most fond of the ones with my Gramps, Dad, n Auntie still alive. I have adult memories there also. Usually quiet, but the bugs were buzzy, someone's music was blasting, about 10 cars stopped there for the facilities in an hour, n a motor boat was looping around with a skier. Also a couple girls were chatting away out on that island in listening distance...

LLcoolJ, My parents were really good about spending summer vacas taking turns with both branches of the family in Vermont n Maine. Most of my bad memories were at home n school- vaca was alot more fun with the added folks, n we had card playing tounaments, when we'd get along better.
I guess your Mother wasn't big on traveling anywhere- Mine loved to drive up there even with a car full of 5 kids for an entire day.
Sorry you didn't get enough of those better times memories-
Yes it does- I like how my bottle of iced tea turmed into an obscure knob thing...

 
At 1:17 AM, Blogger David Edward said...

i'm loving those views

 
At 2:48 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Hey David, good to see you here again. I can't get sick of that view either. Thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home