Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Too Toasty

I had an exciting day with little sleep.
It was finally above freezing weather.
...
Again, I'm very happy to be alive n safe in my home right now. Have I ever mentioned I love having my stuff, especially my artworks n musical instruments?
...
I had a bizarre dream some one traded in my fav accoustic guitar for a cheap folk guitar while I wasn't looking... then awoke to a nightmare in real life, my neighbor's, not mine, TG they're OK.
...
To get out of my driveway to work today, I had to ask an ambulance to move, Four gawkers, who were leaning on my bumper, to Please excuse me, n then maneuver carefully around the cop car poorly parked in my driveway. Cots, water bottles, fire fighters, n all kinds of folks were camped out around the blocked-off corner right outside my upstairs door.
...
I'd heard doors banging, then kids screaming. I jumped up from my half-sleep, n observed two neighborhood kids right across on the corner running out of the driveway. Directly behind them, Bright orange flames licked outside the door they'd just been banging on, the noise which had woken me up.
...
I felt like a jerk going to grab my cam, openning the door n clicking away outdoors on the deck in my jammies as within a very short time, maybe less than two minutes, the entire house went up! The fire trucks, firefighters, cops, other curious folks all came trooping up to the scene. Then the helicopters n gawkers ad-nauseum.
...
The house on the Hill (Patty's old house- MB), was bought by a nice family who was always working on it the past year or so. It had new walls, siding, windows, n had been gutted n updated. Now it's been gutted again... Not a happy school vaca for these folks.
...
Cudos to the volunteer fire-fighting force for not allowing damage to the two other homes only a few feet away, n for getting it under control n mostly put out before I had to leave for work- Their intense period went from 1 to almost 4 in the afternoon.
...
I kid you not, my heart was pounding, n my guts hurt watching that fire monster take over. I'm so reminded of the twins n their mom I watched burn to death back in the '90's. I was riveted to my excellent view of the disaster, n had a heckova time getting ready for work. Then I had trouble thinking coherently all night, after all- this stupid work stuff suddenly has no importance at all after witnessing stuff like that! I did a bit of praying for these poor folks who're no longer my neighbors.
...
Now I'm home from work in the early am, next to that place. Still standing a lonely, hollow hulk of charred pieces with shiney police tape around it. A pungent burned odor hangs in the air. An alarm in there is going off- the noise will bother me all night. I wonder if its a detector or clock, n how the item could've survived the heat, hose water, n bashing in endured by the structure with the flame which hadn't wanted to go out.
...
You'll have to wait a bit for pics, it's film, n there's still exposures left. Also I'm broke until the March rent is paid, but I'm very tempted to hurry n develope it. Maybe I can sell them to the local paper. Maybe I'll choose not to-
...
Money n things aren't every thing, they're but luxuries!
Life alone is essential.

6 Comments:

At 4:23 AM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - Man, people just can't get a break! Lose everything you love like that, I hope to God they had insurance!

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

 
At 5:00 AM, Blogger Skye said...

OOOO, makes you thank the powers that are in charge and put your priorities into perspective. Love ya take care. :)

 
At 3:27 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo, they worked so hard on it. It was wrenching to watch the woman start crying when she first saw it... Time will tell what they rebuild.

SkyBL2U, It sure does! btw- TG means Thank God. He was lookin out for those kids.

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

Witnessing the woman crying would have started the floodbanks in me. I hate to see any sadness... in any way, shape, or form. I only hope they were well insured, and will be able to recoop some of their losses. As for the personal items... how sad that most of those are irreplaceable.

Hopefully the smell will subside in the next few days or so... and hopefully the battery in the alarm will shut down, silencing the whole devestating mess once and for all.

 
At 3:33 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Ellen, The entire experience was very emotional for me, n I do have a renewed appreciation for having my things...

Note: I've posted the pics in a PhotoEssay blog on the top of the sidebar links.

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

I keep returning to your blog. I find it a place to reflect and to allow myself to feel. I have been told not to cry for the loss, look at the house you have, you have no reason to be sad. I guess I feel the old house was an accomplishment for me, one that will never be completed. I keep waiting for some mysterious home owner to come home and kick me out of thier home. My kids have been so wonderful. They have truly learned what is really valuable in life. Just after the fire one of the girls said to me, "Don't worry mom, this is just another adventure". What an awesome perspective to take into life with you. Thank you for the spot to come and to heal, a little at a time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home