Saturday, January 30, 2010

Cold Beach Changes

Image by SnaggleTooth 2010 .
.
.
How to make a washed-out beach shot alot more colorful- I like this one!
.
It's getting pretty cold, down to teens, singles, n -20F windchills. We're definately freezing our pattootees off this week! I'm hoping I may soon be able to find icebergs at the beach. Precipitation helps them form better tho, due to the fresh water on top of the saline brine.
.
All we had were some brief, but wild squalls with the cold front blast Thursday pm, which all blew away in the strong winds. Actually there were little 'bergs in the B-cove I didn't get out there for a few weeks back, when time was an issue. Now it's simply too cold to wander around out there... Even the squirrels were nowhere to be seen today! Wish I could afford to hibernate myself...
.
I hope you've enjoyed the previous mini-vaca oasis of ESR January thaw '10 beach pics. It's definately not as pleasant there at -50F in the wind! I've done it a few times, before tho.

Photo by SnaggleTooth 2007Like in February 2007 when I took this one of fav beach on film. (That's the same jette in the foreground, sideways.) That's alot of built up ice! Kind of resembled the artic tundra- That was extreme cold to brave... (plenty of sea ice to see in that month's posts)
As stated somewhere on ESR previously, this beach is notoriously very windy.

Photo by SnaggleTooth 2009I've been waiting a very long time now to try some digi-cam shots of similar conditions like that, but so far, each trip has proven vastly different from it. Such as when I went last January '09, n it was all groovy-waved n purpley-pink at that sundown. (Jan '09 post) It was a little bit warmer n slushier on that outing. These two views weren't previously posted on ESR, btw.
.
Not only do you have to be well-prepared not to freeze, you have to be careful where you step. It's ice after all. Sometimes it's difficult to tell where the water underneath begins. It's always safer at low tide walking on ice sitting on top of the sand. I know that sea ice has different properties than fresh-water ice, n isin't as smooth or solid, often in odd, disconnected, grainy, hunks. Trying to walk on it over water isin't safe at all. Nevermind that in the extreme cold, no one is there to help. I'm fairly paranoid, respectful, n cautious on my icy excursions, so don't worry about me- (but inexperienced folks, don't try pics like these on your own!)


Photo by SnaggleTooth 2010
In this balmy- appearing scene, the windchill factor was only about 10F. Cold beach colors always seem different...
.
.
(original "washed out" pic from altered Jan '10 pic above)

8 Comments:

At 7:48 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

Even in such cold and precarious weather - the ocean is so beautiful.

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger TALON said...

It's like Mother Nature is doing amazing sculptures. I'm glad you're brave enough to venture out and capture such beauty and share it, Snaggle!

 
At 11:58 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Lynn, I agree- n always a moving experience. I never get tired of it.

Talon, the ice deposit build-up from the tides are indeed a wonder to behold. I'm glad I get there with a cam every now n then for you all- Thanks

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

I dunno. I like ALL your pix, "washed out " beach is lovely.

Yes, you do need to plan for survival, that's for sure. I imagine you keep an emergecy kit in L'il Truck, knowing you and the level head on your shoulders.

Take good care of that pattootee!!

xo

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger David Edward said...

i, too, love your favorite beach, and yet I have never been there.

 
At 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's cool post.

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger ... Paige said...

brrr. did you hear me...BRRRR
drink hot tea, eat hot soup and put some more layers on

 
At 3:25 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

JanF, "washed out" was in the Don't use pile until I colorized it. In many shots, the haze over the water makes the blue sky look white in pics- n cam misses all the tone changes actually defined by changing the color pallete. Little Truck is almost ready for Nuclear disaster! But my pattootee keeps freezing up!

David, Most town visitors never see this beach, n don't know about it. Strange so many folks can visit it here!

JingleYQ, Very, very, cold! Thanks

Paige, I'm going thru so much tea! I'm actaully wearing long-johns everyday to work, under reg clothes, n 2 pairs socks. Then gloves, n I put ear-band, scarf, n 2 hoods on my head (2 coats) to go out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home