Saturday, January 09, 2010

The Big Chiller

Photo by SnaggleTooth Jan 2010
.
.
.
Watching the USA's weather on the news is like having a contest to see who gets colder. When it's only 15F in Atlanta, n 12F in Dallas, we have to wonder what's knocked the artic air lower than it's been since I can remember. One news person this a.m. reported it was currently warmer in Antartica!
.
I'm not looking forward to the southern USA cold repercussions. The Navel oranges on sale this week went up ten cents per pound overnight. The fuel pump prices are climbing suddenly here too. How many businesses will be affected, wages lost, school hours lost, n accidents suffered? I heard mentions of zoo-critter hardship. Also of cold-stunned turtle rescues in Florida. The only ones profiting would be those selling space-heaters n blankies. No doubt crops, animal n plant species, n economics will suffer.
.
Few southern folks have the long-sleeved wardrobe as we of the temporate NorthEast culminate to make it through the seasons. Even tho I'm used to these weather conditions, I know long-range this wide-spread chilly weather will effect us up here regardless, in other ways mostly related to cost.
.
I wonder how many folks now wish they'd recieved a snuggie for the holiday...
Here's my stay warm tip I use to save money under cold conditions:
Heat up tea-kettle water on the stove. Pour it into a clean, glass, ex-jelly jar with a tight cover from the recycle bin. Leave about 1/2 inch space of air at the top. Use a potholder or rubber-grippy to put the lid on. Test for leakage. (don't get burned with hot water) Place it into a sock or small towel n carry it around as a personal warmer.
I put mine in my easy-chair corners to watch tv, n under my blankets to sleep, one near the top, one at my feet. The water will stay warm for hours before needing replacing.
.
Photo by SnaggleTooth Jan 2010
.
.
.
Ice anyone?

12 Comments:

At 8:47 AM, Blogger G. B. Miller said...

From which area, the lot or the machine?

I would think that the lot would be more healthier, with all of those yummy natural ingredients contained within and underneath.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Ahhhh, you made me remember I used to sleep with a mayonnaise jar filled with hot hot tap water, yes snuggled in a sock. Great foot warmer indeed. Did that as a teen.

It's cold in our house, had to lift the blanket divider to let warm air in the new but still unfinished addition, so the pipes to the half bath won't freeze. All this has resulted in bringing the colder air from said addition down to us, brrrr. Need a bigger heating unit since we added on.

But we'll survive, non- freezing temps will return tomorrow. Supposedlly. :)

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger ... Paige said...

Great photos and thanks for the timely warm tips.
We went home, stove delivered, and had no water; Beloved had already turned it off to the main house and another value to the studio, but we couldn't get the value to turn back on, hopping it only froze enough to make the value stick...maybe we will drive by there latter

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger TALON said...

Beautiful photo...looks so serene.

We used to use rocks when we were camping to warm us up - took them from the fire, wrapped them in socks and sometimes we used baked potatoes - they would stay warm for ages. It's neat to be inventive in chasing the cold.

Hope the temps climb quickly for friends in the southern states.

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

I've been wearing a hoodie and socks inside - unusual for me. I do not remember a stretch of below freezing temps like this ever.

 
At 3:02 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

G, we have a wide array of available styles in stock! the lot contains a bit more natural sea salt... n a bit more grit n fiber-

JanF, I'd never make it thru the arthritis aches without my hot-water jar!
Yep, folks down the hill have a blanket over the doorway to the warmer section. Then other folks have plastic curtains across sections to keep more heat in a smaller section. Warmth is a science. At least you're experienced!

Paige, Yikes- hope those pipes didn't freeze- you'll notice when they thaw out- I leave my water dripping a little so it won't. I hope youer hotel has a heater unit. Hope you are keeping warm, hope you get back home for good soon.

Talon, thanks, I was the only one out in the sub-z windchill. Just a cop car was also parked there- n he wasn't getting out! Rocks do work well. I like the refill-able jars better tho.
Yep, I'm worried about southerners.

Lynn, I actually wear 3 layered shirts, long john pants with jeans over, n 2 pairs of socks in here with the heat on 50F- so do depend on my bottle-warmers. I don't think I remember a freeze like that ever either! I'll have to research record temps-
Stay warm! remember the jars-

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Erica B said...

a trick I learned growing up was to breath while under the blanket to get some warm air under there. I also remember putting pieces of of jeans in the the window jam (in old pully style) to prevent the draft from coming in through the crack around the sash- it worked wonders and kept the room much warmer.

 
At 2:31 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

MB, Thanks for your additional tips, that room has a double-plastic curtain over the doorway now-
Yep, we jury-rig it around here alot! Have you had to do that stuff at your house now?

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger Erica B said...

thankfully no, as the previous home owner put in newer windows.. our floors get super cold though b/c of drafts from the basement because we have piece of crap windows down there and we never got around to putting the foam insulating board over them this year. I have a blanket on the floor under the couch by the front window where there always a draft- i don't think there is any insulation under it, and it's doing a decent job of hiding that draft. I also keep a blanket at the front door for the draft there, and we shrink wrap the door window which are single pane plexiglass.

 
At 1:43 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

MB, I do seem to have a memory of a large draft in the backroom there where I camped over night once. It's much easier to button-up the drafts when it's warm, n you have time.

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Blue Bunny said...

i like rostid corns!!

 
At 3:29 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

BB, mmm I had a warm corn muffin from work today. With I could still eat popcorn tho-
Do you mean Acorns?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home