Thursday, August 22, 2013

Trash Policy


To save budget money this year, our town changed the trash policy to end town garbage pick-up, n barrel placement on the beaches. You're now supposed to take home your own trash.

It's tough to teach folks who've left stuff for years about following brand new rules tho. Several folks I've spoken with at several beaches are spending much of their free beach-walking time cleaning areas, as they hate to see it spoiled with so much crap.

I have many more pics of messes at the beaches not shown today. The town has been made aware they do need to perform some upkeep, even if the old, each week cleaning schedule has been shelved.

You can always count on some folks to make a big mess n not care about its impact. Also we can count on a few devoted local folks, who dedicate themselves to picking up the places they appreciate.

Yay! n a big Thank You to the picker-uppers!

(This pic was of the beach across town in July)

8 Comments:

At 1:03 AM, Blogger TALON said...

Why can't people pick up after themselves? I always wonder what their houses must be like!

 
At 6:07 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

I agree with Talon - that's just a shame.

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

What would the world do without the volunteer picker-uppers? If they ever go on strike, we are all screwed.

 
At 2:22 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Talon, People on vaca can be very sloppy, I notice. Used to not having too, without a conscious! Except about where they live...

Lynn, You wouldn't believe what folks leave behind to let little kids stumble upon- I've yet to not have a beach walk result in a clean-up of something.

Gran Annie, TG the town decided to get the piles left after the 4th or we'd be looking pretty junky here n scare off the needed tourist trade... I didn't even mention there are zero lifeguards anymore... Some not swift, broke government moves this year.

 
At 3:01 AM, Blogger LL Cool Joe said...

I never ever understand how people can just drop their rubbish and leave it. It's like people here in the UK who just throw their rubbish out the car window. It really makes me mad, what would this world be like if everyone did that?

 
At 3:41 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

LLcoolJ, ... N no one picked it up? One ugly place this would be!
I spoke to a woman right there who'd just spent an entire morning cleaning one small section of that pretty beach. I really can't keep up with the woods this year. Just one festival leaves tons- Litter I have no patience for.

 
At 1:39 AM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Long live the picker-uppers and all their ilk!!!

I think they oughta charge the tourists trash tax, build it into their restaurant, hotel and gas bills.

I dunno.

Good idea tho to always pick up your own trash wherever you are.

Cigarette butts bother me. what the freak do the throwers think butts are made of?? Air? I don't freaking think so. The half-life of a cigarette butt is about 245,000 years (I'm guessing.)

And the half-life of my butt is about 50 years -- midway in this life now. :)

But just getting started!! :)

xooxo

 
At 5:40 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Jannie, Yep- folks are still depositing household bag-fulls at the barrel sites- We need to retrain all the tourists....
There are food wrappers, n germy junk of all types. My BBM found a syringe! (needle)- eeewww-

 

Post a Comment

<< Home