Friday, July 19, 2013

Steaming

Photo by SnaggleTooth July 2013




 I wonder how many other folks got a pic with Tiger Lilies, a jet ski running in salt water, n Victorian homes all in the same shot today?




The theme today::
Privacy -
or lack thereof...

The middle of the normal week is actually my Off work week-end for all intents n purposes, n so I think...

Joeys Pad

Yes, SnaggleTooth has decided to join in a Week-End Wobbly! Of course the King n founder of the original Week-end Wobbly occasion is Blogland's very own, infamous, LLcoolJoe of Joey's Pad. Always a favorite read!

The Offender:
The neighbor from Jersey (or possibly Hell)

Image by SnaggleTooth July 2013
As previously mentioned years ago in ESR posts about tourist season on Cape Cod, in the summertime my village here fills up with part-time residents, most notably in the house out the side window less than fifteen feet away...

One of the owners descendants with a New Jersey plate on her car really got my ire up yesterday. Still don't know her name-

It's steaming hot in the 90's F here this week. I have no ac, just a few fans, n my windows are open.

Telling neighbors what you don't think they should do in their own yard, for example, is rude enough.

But I was making lunch for work at my kitchen table, near my window with a water view (n also the neighbors always out on their porch, unfortunately), n this woman yelled up to me from her porch,

"Hey you up there by the window-..." then proceeded to tell me I shouldn't feed the birds because I'm attracting skunks in the side yard in the evening. She'd tried knocking last night but I wasn't there- I was at work.

Photo by SnaggleTooth July 2013
I did not appreciate feeling watched, n being loudly complained at like that in my home about something that I enjoy doing every day. The curtains are now closed up for the duration of her hopefully brief occupation, n I feel uncomfortable reading in my favorite chair by the water view.

I thought up so many unkind comebacks to say, but stayed pleasant n un-confrontational to the young woman, stifling my feelings.

"I'd rather have skunks out my window than you-" quickly came to mind. (Should've but didn't )

* Then there's "Hello McFly, your keen powers of observation didn't register that this fruit tree beside my house has ripe Huckleberries all over it that animals come to eat."

Of course the folks are eating meals outside, n have a row of full trash cans on that side of their cottage also. Skunks actally live under their rear porch in the winter. I can see them come n go. It can't be those folks attracting skunks, eh?

There have been skunks thru my yard since the day I moved in. This village is loaded with them. Last summer, the town trapped a bunch of skunks n euthanized all of them. That made me angry too, killing critters instead of relocating them just seems wrong. Skunks are very misunderstood creatures.

I don't mind the skunks. They don't hurt anything, eat alot of bugs n leave my garden alone. I've seen them all over the yard plenty of times n have never been sprayed. I throw bread out early in the day n it's gone by evening. 

Image by SnaggleTooth July 2013
I'm not going to stop feeding birds n squirrels, n that lady has no right to tell me I can't. But now I'm being purposely sneaky about it, n putting it where the neighbors can't see it. What a hassle-

I really resent not getting to relax in my kitchen as usual. I hate my curtains blocking the windows, but do not want people yelling up at me in my free time like that again! Enough stress already-

It's dark in here without the daylight, n claustrophobic with these small rooms. But I think the closed curtains also tells them to leave me alone. They need to get the message without me screaming back at them, because I am so angry about this. I totally ignored them all by looking away while walking past their porch several times today. I will make an effort not to speak to them again. I may launch into what I really think once I start- n it won't be pretty...

Hopefully this heat wave is over soon...

11 Comments:

At 9:32 AM, Blogger TALON said...

I applaud you for holding your tongue, Snaggle, because I know I wouldn't have been able to. They have no right to tell you what you can do in your own home. And I hate that you have to change your routine (and lose your favorite spot to sit) to suit them. They sound incredibly ignorant. People are always looking for someone else to blame and never look at their own behavior. Annoying as all heck!

Love that shot - so cool! Yes, I doubt there are any shots with those three things in them! :)

We're in scorchy weather here...air so thick you could cut it with a knife. Everyone is cranky and air conditioning is everyone's best friend. Can't wait until this heatwave passes and we can all breathe again!

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Well, I'm glad you can tell US, Snaggle. Some people have no idea what they're talking about, no appreciation for animal behavior.

Why don't you put up a sign "Skunks Welcome Here! :)

Anyway, you're a saint.

I know I'm usually happier in the long run when I hold my tongue, but it ain't easy.

Summer people, eh? :)

Yes, Joey, Joey's a gem, like you. Vivent les amis de blogging!!

xooxoxox

Oh, SUPER pic!! You captured all summer in one shot.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger LL Cool Joe said...

Ha ha, thanks for joining in with a Weekend Wobbly, although it's a shame you are having one!!

Wow I would have found it hard not to say something back to that woman too. How rude to even involve herself in what you are doing in your own home. It's none of her business at all! Blimey it's hardly a crime to feed the animals! I would hate to feel someone was watching me too. I hope she leaves soon.

Thank you for the shout out! I hope you are having a wonderful weekend.

..oh and thanks Jannie!!!

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

That is a beautiful photo! And I'm proud that you took the high road with that unpleasant woman.

 
At 6:15 AM, Blogger G. B. Miller said...

Sounds like you have a real "winner" for a neighbor there. Hopefully they'll get a tast of their own medicine soon.

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Erica B said...

wtf... how aggravating for you! I'd be pissed off too. summer people think they rule the summer house. Never would I tell a neighbor (when I was the visit) to cut stuff out unless it was SERIOUSLY uncalled for.

Maybe you can tell them all about the neighbor skunks when you come home from work. That outta make them happy... "I heard you were looking for me?"

 
At 12:54 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Talon, I took into account that I have to keep dealing with these folks very close by, n do not want an escalating situation. Of course they prefer people to skunks, but the critters will be back nightly as per usual anyways! I answered differently before the connection died on me earlier in the week- Hope your garden is enjoying the warmth there. hanks

Jannie, I was immediately inspired to rant to the world about this absurd happening! They NEED to know this happens! N read about themselves so they don't do it again! I talk to the birds n "Skunky-Poos" all the time- n now they will get special treats! The shot is definitely missing the loud motor noise tho...

LLcoolJ, I immediately thought of what your reaction would be- What nosy folks! I'm sure they got the curtains on that peeping message- It bothered me so much for days! TG vacations for others don't last forever- theirs is finally over! You deserve shout outs- you're quite welcome!

Lynn, thanks for the pic compliment. It could so easily have become a shouting match- I had to diffuse the bomb n get to work on time, plus not over-react. N I found a way around them-

G, almost everyone I told suggested revenge for some reason... The skunks will always be back for them! That's how i think- I don't need to do anything, Karma will prevail. I know you can think of the choice verbage I stifled.

MB, That was only an appetizer for a blasting music teen-ager party out on the porch all week-end, so I got zero sleep n had to close windows in the heat! But I'm certain the fearless skunks will have the last laugh next store no matter what I do. btw- Jess J n fam just moved to Jersey too- so I shouldn't insult those residents- but it is a crowded place to live, n I only drove thru in daylight once!

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

I am so angry at the nosy woman who yelled at you.

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Gran Annie, It doesn't feel good to be intruded upon in your own kitchen trying to make lunch by someone you don't even know- having a tough summer here -Thanks

 
At 5:56 AM, Blogger Erica B said...

you could've called the cops for a noise violation. most towns have "quiet times" after 10pm or so

 
At 2:57 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

MB, I could start a war- but just want them to go away!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home