Thursday, May 30, 2013

Lilacs

Photo by SnaggleTooth May 2013

Last week's Lilacs are almost spent for another year already- n Spring pollen is winding down. So glad rain is again washing away the pollen  tonight, as I recover from a busy holiday work-week. Another Sci-Fi book down, a pile to decide which next-


Image by SnaggleTooth May 2013


We're expecting hot temps the next few days, n I'll be washing all the old, electric fans. I hope they still work- some are decades old...No AC in here, have never had it. Would just be another thing for  me to wash the dust n mold off of. Never mind I loath closed windows.Usually the Cape is ten degrees cooler than the city anyways- n breezy.

Photo by SnaggleTooth May 2013

I tried bringing some smelly lilacs in the house, but they made my asthma go crazy really fast, so I had to put it outside anyways. May have had other tree pollen in it, but I tried. Having better luck on the table with the new deck plantings, some Petunias n Impatiens. Now I just have to keep the bugs n critters from eating them.

Image by SnaggleTooth May 2013

Still have tons to plant n re-pot waiting on less soggy conditions, more soil, n time. Hopefully I'll get some free food from my efforts too, along with a pleasant deck garden to read in.Much spring house cleaning to get to as well, So many projects, only one me...

Summertime, June, traffic, tourists, crowds, n long store lines here we go-

9 Comments:

At 6:05 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

Beautiful lilacs! I know just how that smells now, thanks to my lilac candle.

You would get along great with my older sister - she has always hated air conditioning and likes windows open so the breeze floats through.

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger TALON said...

The lilac are at their peak here...and there is one area of our street that is like a lilac air freshener zone. You can't walk or drive down the hill without being smacked in the face with their fragrance. I love them, too, but I didn't bring any indoors this year. Daughter's allergies go whack if I do . :)

We finally got some warmth back, but crazy storms came with it and we've had torrential rains. I hope the garden gets to dry out a bit and recover now. I hope you get some time to get the chores done so you can put your feet up and relax, Snaggle!

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger LL Cool Joe said...

We never have a/c in the UK either. We rarely need it. The weather this week has been awful. Cold and wet. Plus our boilers went wrong again. It should improve by the weekend.

What a shame you can't keep the flowers inside. Allergies can be miserable at times.

I have a batch of plants that need planting in pots and a bed but it's too wet to do them.

 
At 1:52 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Lynn, My Lilacs were pretty this year- n there's been so few bees around them! I even open a window in the winter, just like fresh air, n get claustrophobic too-

Talon, I've brought some in before, but this year I couldn't tolerate it. I used to fight with my kids alot about bringing allergen inside, which they snuck in alot, but I could sure tell!
I hope your garden gets going now, n I hope to relax at some point too- The list is still daunting tho- Thanks

LLcoolJ, Nothing worse than no heat or hot water in the cold,wet, rainy weather- We had a crazy lightning storm for hours last night but at least the power stayed on. I have the same problem, some plants have been waiting weeks now. Good luck with the yard-work this week-

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Erica B said...

My gardens have been negleted too. When I had time over Mem day weekend, it rained, and on the nice day I had a bbq... I need to weed, turn over the soil and thin out my cilantro and dill volunteers that are in full swing.

I have one garden that I want to relocate, and flower bulbs I have had for a MONTH still in their little baggies *sigh*

and now we are full swing into a heat wave. oy

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

Let the battle begin. I love AC and want the house freezing. My precious and beloved spouse doesn't even like a fan and believes our body temperature can be regulated by our minds....YeeGads!!! It is good that our house is a split level and both areas can be regulated to our own taste except at bed time then he piles on the covers and I sleep under a fan:)

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

MB, I've begun to dig up weedy-sod off a new bed in the yard near the Bramble Roses- the strawberries said to plant a foot apart- got a ton left over from pots. Will put the Bleeding Heart down there too. Now it has to wait half done again- I'd like more Off Time too! Yep, Toasty out there...

Gran Annie, I grew up without ac, so I'm used to breezy fans- So far we've only had 2 hot days this year- After a few weeks of heat it's tougher to cope. Must be difficult to live with an opposite! Would dtive me crazy...

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger Mountain Mama said...

Your Lilac looks like the heirloom one like I have.When it was in bloom and I was working in my garden the fragrance was lovely out there. Sorry the asthsma gets worse when you have them inside. I didn't bring any in this year. Just not enough time to do everything. I'm woncering what kind of critters eat your plants? We have slugs and tent caterpillars here. They are horrid this year.

 
At 4:15 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Mountain Mama, All of the critters think I run a restaurant on the deck for them, even tho I feed them stale bread out in the sideyard. Caterpillars, squirrels, n opossums have been known to level my plants. Good luck with yours-

 

Post a Comment

<< Home