Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Dandy

Image by SnaggleTooth May 2013











So much has suddenly burst out in the plant department this past week.



Photo by SnaggleTooth May 2013



Of course one of the most prolific of wild flower weeds has already claimed most of the available real estate...

Hopefully the local drought will soon be broken with some rain  the next few days.Today was supposed to have scattered showers, but they've dried up, so I managed to do a bunch more yard work n mowing I wasn't expecting to be able to.



Image by SnaggleTooth May 2013


But at least I won't have to wait for the lawn to get two feet high after the rain. That's a relief, n so much easier. There are spring flowers blooming all over the yard now- more pics in another post soon...

The allergy head-aches are being beaten down with benedryl,  n hopefully the worst tree pollen will soon get knocked down with rainwater.


Photo by SnaggleTooth May 2013

Apparently, these dandelions can even proliferate in a dry desert of a sand-covered sidewalk crack. Nope, the town has done zero street clean-up so far... It's pretty messy out there.


Image by SnaggleTooth May 2013


There, that's better. I mowed down a ton of their little friends already spread out in my yard, too...


8 Comments:

At 6:11 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

I kind of like it when pretty weeds spring up between cracks - lots of that around here. :)

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger TALON said...

Dandelions sure are tenacious! When I was driving around town yesterday, there were areas where it was like a sea of them. I love them when they're blooming, but they sure look messed up when they've gone to seed. Yeah, the pollen is thick here now as everything is pushing out leaves. It is lovely, though, to see the green, isn't it, Snaggle? :)

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger LL Cool Joe said...

I have to say I hate Dandelions. I spray everything with weedkillers and feed the grass. I think they look nice in a natural situation like a field but not on my front lawn or drive!

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Lynn, hard to believe they got so large with so little water. Plants are amazing!

Talon, Tenacity is the word for the Dandy ones! They are so widely spread already all over-Oak pollen is the bomb here today. Maple leaves are out already-Yay Green!

LLcoolJ, They are the scourge of the turf building, n just grow faster than all else, except maybe the Bittersweet vines n Bamboo here. It is tough to stop them by hand, but I can't use chemicals, so try to pick all the blooms before they seed.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

You are supposed to be able to make wine and other food stuffs with dandelions. I could start a roadside stand selling my mass quantities of the little yellow dudes.

 
At 5:33 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Gran Annie, I've heard the greens are edible too- but am paranoid of germs n parasites. I'd boil em awhile... Actually I like beet greens that way. A few have sprouted n will be a few weeks before I get to eat some.
I bet you're not out there trying to slow them down yet...

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

I think I had home-made dandelion wine once long long ago, and it tasted awful!!! :)

one year there was a bluebonnet growing in a crack at a major lighted big intersection, on an overpass. It was just so cute! That was when I worked with Jim at the car place. I got to see it every morning for about 2 weeks!

Glad your allergy symptoms are being repressed some.

And have a happ-ha-hap-y day.

Now... BB is going to help me put up a new header for my Mothers_Day post. Off to photoshop that!

xoxoxoxo

 
At 2:42 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

JanF, Interesting to imagine what the taste may be like- I've never tried to eat them, but used to make alot of necklaces from the flowers. Wish I had that kind of time again- My allergies are wiping me out because all the different trees are firing at the same time, pine n oak combo- achoo-
Work has me too busy n sore to think of posting. Yep, I'm working for Mother's Day! Boo-
You have fun tho

 

Post a Comment

<< Home