Saturday, January 05, 2008

Blues Loss

A video clip of a solemn James Montgomery caught my eye from the background TV I had on. Sound up to adible, I was saddened to learn Weeping Willie Robinson, a Boston Blues music icon, had his funeral today. (Page 2 of the Globe article gives more current details.)
...
After moving to Beantown back in '59, Willie had fallen on hard times in recent years. He'd been homeless for awhile before getting into that assistance house where smoking a ciggarrette in bed did him in- on the night of December 30th.
...
James n some other friends like BB King had played music with him, n given him help n encouragement on many occassions. A benefit concert was given to help him out a few years back. He played at the summer Blues Fest in my village, n recently at the blues club a few blocks away from me. I still have flyers with his name on them.
...
I'm sad for those he inspired, befriended, n made fans. He was a good person who deserved better in life than what this economy is dishing out this decade. Bless you, Willie! Your name n music will live on in our souls.
...
I'm sad that he couldn't quit his nasty smoking habit, n that it took him so suddenly. Leaving us with that bitter taste of tough life in our mouths.
...
...
I'm glad though, that on New Years Day 2003, I was able to bring myself the determination needed to banish the smoking habit from the remainder of my life. I guess that's a five-year milestone I would never have brought up, had I not heard the news about Willie tonight, by way of noticing James familar face in my background scenery.
...
Darn, I miss those guys... Where are those old cassettes n Cds? ... but I don't miss the smoke at all anymore!
...
...

Here's the best photo I have of my now dusty Toy-friends, previously published on ESR in '06. I wish it was warm enough now for an outdoor clean-up.
I need to watch out for those deadly dust-mites...
...
Willie, here's to you-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home