Thursday, December 22, 2005

The Holiday Blues

It finally got up above 30 degrees today. Nice n warm compared to yesterday! I went out while the gettin was good to get errands done.

Everywhere I went incredibly exhausted employees were encountered. Little businesses were deserted. Items were marked way down. The ten restaurants I drove by were empty. Townee's just aren't making enough profits to cover the jump in energy n heating costs. Everyone knows it's going to be a challenge getting through the winter this year. It's going to hit the temporate economy accross the board.

I talked to a dear friend from the old baby-raising days who lives up North yesterday. She sent me an adorable reindeer in the mail this year. Her advice for my depressed timbre was to get to sleep early n resolve to start singing as soon as I wake up in the morning.

She used to be one of my best audiences, n I used to do guitar n voice, kitchen-gigs for her n the kids when her electricity'd been shut-off due to non-payment. Ah, the good ole daze...
I used to love it when I could get all the kids to sing along, it was great entertainment. They all developed their fav "Snaggle tunes" for requests. They'd always tear-up for "Puff the Magic Dragon" n "Laura n Tommy."

Usually though, I have zero morning voice these days.
Arthritis makes it difficult to play strings in the cold. Basically, I wish I could wake up that way...

I did have a pretty good dream last night, about hangin out with Paul McCartney again. I really like those ones. It's the first opimistic dream story-line I've had in about a year!

Nothin like the Holiday Blues settlin in...
I was invited somewhere for Xmas day, n I'm convinced I won't be able to tolerate being in a room full of happy people this year. I blame my inability to deal with my intense stress to quitting all the things I used to do to deal with it n chill-out.
I just don't chill anymore. It's cold enough already!
Today's the shortest daylight day of the year. Hopefully my Holiday-Seasonal Affective Disorder starts clearing up as the days lengthen.

6 Comments:

At 10:04 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag -Hey there you. I answered your question in the comment section.

Try drinking some tea in the morning. Don't use milk. ;)

Thanks for the support you've given this year. It means the world to me.

Maybe someday we'll get to jam together.

*super hugs*

You're the best Snaggle!

*huggerz*

- Neo

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Thankz Neo, I appreciate you're correspondence respondence too. You're special! *hugz back*

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

Where, oh where would we be without our Snaggle? You are the voice of consciousness and multi-talents on our comment sections.
We are all blessed to know you through that, and your wonderful posts.

I hope you find a way to stay warm in the frigid weather, and that your Christmas spirit finds it's way back home to you. There is a custom in the south that if you eat collard greens, black eyed peas and cornbread on New Years Eve, you will have good luck in the following year... it's always worked for us. (I know collards are a little hard to get up there, but I swear by the meal that it does do it's magic.)

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger Milk Brain said...

son't forget the too often request of "smoking in the boys room" lol everytime i hear it on the radio it prompts me to make the call to see how ypu're doing... funny i know, but hey.. it does...

i hope you stay warm down there... wether guy said 40 degrees out here for the big day! what a gift! very happy that we won't have another snow storm on christmas... atleast we're not driving this year. we found out that week from j's gram that aunt peggy assumed that christmas was at our house b/c it would be easier for evan... lol... it's totally fine, and IS easier.. but just funny how no one told us. and yes the house is a disaster... teh dishes pile up no matter how many paper products we use and there's toys all over the floor and crushed crackers in a few places... our vaccuum is a hassle so we only drag it out when we need to (usually 1x a week or so), and until that day we run around with the carpet sweeper. god bless the carpet sweeper.

hope the socks are deterring the cold tootsies over there!

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Thankz Ellen for your friendship n for all the complimentz to help my Holly-Jollies along.
I've actually never eaten Black-eyed peas, have only tried mustard greens once, n usually pass on the cornbread... No wonder I've been so unlucky this year...!

MB, I'd thought about listing that tune in the post, n predictably ya mentioned it... it was the "wise guy" fav... Too bad I'm not visiting to pick some up for ya this week, I'm certainly nervous enough to putter all day...
N ya the sox are the best, warmer than any I've ever had. Thankz

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

Snaggle- I'm not a fan of the black-eyed peas and collards myself, and usually have to choke them down. My husband holds the custom, as he is a native southerner and grew up on those foods. I just take my customary small bites, and hope it's enough to sustain me through the year. As for cornbread... I love it! and will eat plenty of that. Has to be the jiffy mix though, as that is what I grew up on. (There's that sweet-tooth I have to cow-tow to, you know.)

Hope you are able to visit your folks for the holidays... nothing better than being around the ones you love to help that spirit along.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home