Friday, December 09, 2005

ThunderSnow

I was scared outa my mind twice today.
...
Right now I'm feeling extremely grateful to be typing on my machine finally! I just spent most of my afternoon n evening contemplating how I was going to get done what I'd planned to do before Xmas without a monitor. No bux to replace it for a long time..., no presents produced, no art programs, no pix, no card printing, no E-bay plan, no research, no reading, no e-mail, n so very alone!

How long would it take for ya folkz to realize I was involuntarily ex-communicated? What would I post from my friend's or the Library's 'puter to explain my ongoing lack of blog-participation?
What chores would my boredom drive me to get done in the emptiness?
....
Right in the middle of typing a version of these words below into a post during the storm today, my monitor died!
...
ThunderSnow
Weather Alert! This is one of the strangest weather days here in awhile......We've had snow, then rain, then all the week's snow so far melted completely! Then bright sunshine shone through my window for almost two whole minutes! Then suddenly, the clouds moved back the other direction, wind shift from North to Westerly and a visable swirl of dense cloud-cover darkened daylight again. The windows have now suddenly all fogged up, n heavy snow just began spitting sideways past the door...

The wind is howlin through the trees over hurricane force out there right now! It's so loud I can't concentrate. The gusts are long duration, and constant.NECN is reporting Gusts up to 60 mph in Nantucket, n 50 mph here. It's amazing the power's still up...

Bombogenosis
In the middle of the state, a bank of high Cumulo-Nimbus are thundering through like a summer - - - - -
........
Blank LED screen... No Power! Online, box still on, no way to hit the draft or publish button, no way to shut down. I tried tab, enter, n alt, enter, couldn't hear anthing happen, jiggled mouse in the dark clicking everywhere, no luck. Then said never-mind n performed the improper shut-down. Checked wires, plugs, Surge bars, no luck. Still no power to monitor!
...
Right after that I was very distracted with some loud thuds.
...
Winds were later reported up past 70 n 80mph out there today, n I believe it! It seemed like a Micro-burst experience must feel. I wondered if this is how the-end-of my-world-storm feels... The house was shaking n felt so fragile, like during hurricane Bob...

In the Kitchen through a small, unfogged spot I could see out the front window that my little deck tree's lights were still lit. How ever, both trees were knocked over sideways n thrashing wildly against the railing in the howling wind n snow that was plastering n instantly freezing itself everywhere !
- Now ya need to understand that when I transplanted the six-foot-spruce to the large barrel, I put eighty pounds of additional soil in there... That's a pretty heavy base to knock over!
Thank goodness the railing held-up, I'd tied enough slack to the power cords, n I'd covered the electric plugs with water-proof plastic...

As I watched the wildness out there I saw a trash can lid from the sheltered spot under the stairs fly up n out into the woods! I waited next to the frig for a long time waiting for the winds to die down, I made a cell call, then finally about 4 pm, just before dark it was safe enough to go out n pick up the trees. There's another 4 or 5 inches of drifted n crusty snow to shovel now.
...
After bemoaning my holiday fate without my machine's further assistance for hours, realizing I hadn't printed needed pix or enough cards yet, I pretty much gave up to life without it. I'd pretty much need a whole new plan, n new manual designs, back to square one... I went to disconnect n pack up the monitor.
One last time I put the power adaptor plug back into the interface n I was so surprized to see it light up n save me from despair! Maybe it just needed to be reset, as my daughter suggested to try. Whew, I'm SOooo relieved! Praise the Creator, my plan is still executable!

So I made it through this very scary storm, n so did my machine, n my blog-life continues on this week... but before I go online to post this, I swore I'm going to print out everything I need to get the holiday projects going out first!

12 Comments:

At 9:43 AM, Blogger Milk Brain said...

weather like this only happens in hollywood! and for everyone out ther i'd just like to add that we live in northern western mass, and we got 12" of snow..!!! one neighboring town got 20".. holy crap..

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

Wow, you've had an incredible day with all the storms. I'm sure it must have felt like the hurricane season had finaly caught up to NE.
When I read your story, I only wished we lived closer, as I have several monitors that I would be glad to give to you (anything to get them out of my house and permit me more room).
I'm well familiar with the "excommunication" as you recall from my crash back last month... makes you feel cut off from the world. Only glad to see you survived and are back amongst us!

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

milkbrain- wow! a foot of snow?
Holy crap is right! I'll bet your son is loving that, though. I also bet the driving is treacherous and no fun at all. Hope you are dug out... and can enjoy the "white" Christmas only a few weeks away.

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Hi MB,
20 inches..., very glad I only had to shovel 4! Guess the pahty crowd 'll have fun getting there tonite!
still couldn't get the ice off the side wood steps, so plastered on. Tons of huge branches on the R's roof, amazing the windows are ok, only see 3 small trees leaning sideways near the path. Some lower cape people got bashed pretty good. A parked plane in Barnstable got flipped over!
Wind rarely goes that direction with gale force here. Usaully from the East. Last time there was a thundersnow was that '93 Apr. 1st storm when we made the huge snowman (24").

Hi Ellen,
ya,I knew you'd be the first to notice if I was missin!
I also remembered your recent excommunication exile, n how terrible it feels when you're so used to being in touch. Well, now ya know if it happens you can give a message to MB n she can call me, ok? I am so very relieved!

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag -Yo go girl! Just bring it! *hugs*

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Hi Neo, I'd bring it more if had more time, bux, n things to relay. A better machine would help too. I'm glad it's workin, but it still has speed, memory, n wierd probs. Never mind addin on my probs here...
Glad ya made it back over...

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag -Sounds like the terminal I use at the job. Crunch Crunch Crunch! Hard drive sounds like you're eating Rice Krispies. ;)

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo, ya, it's munchin somethin... now this week it won't restart or shut down, n won't go all the way through scan dish after power-up again... better not be vbs-ill... I really don't have all day every day to boot up...

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

Snaggle- I heard on the news this AM about the beached pilot whales and dolphins in Cape Cod Bay...
how awful!

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

ya Ellen, yuc! I guess the count is 9 pilot whales n 24 Common dolphins.
I knew what'd happened was strange, just wonder what it was like in CC Bay when the cloud swirl I saw out the window suddenly churned counter-clockwise right about in that area, n saw in the TV radar showed the same.
Also high tide was about 2:30 n a sudden surge was reported in Wareham, so maybe they got carried high up on the beach, then then water went back down too quickly. The tests on tissue samples 'll take at least a week.
It does upset me when stuff like this happens.

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

Do you know how many cottages are almost directly on the beach in Wareham? I'll bet they took a beating. Luckily the ones that were carried away due to hurricane Bob had to be rebuilt on stilts, so they may have been deemed safe.
I wonder about the others, and how far the surge went in.

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

I know alot about Wareham... it's got over 25 miles of shoreline, n only a small percent of the land is +5 feet above sea level. Can't wait til the paper comes out Thurs to see who was affected. I heard a live CH5 report over phone, the person mentioned a "cove", don't know which one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home