Thursday, August 14, 2014

Lessons Learned

By SnaggleTooth Summer 2014

About four years now, I've had the same cell phone for use in emergencies, n have forgotten to bring it with me on several occasions. But I'd never actually lost it until this week-
So over-tired after work that early am, I didn't realize it was gone until I got to the "time to plug n recharge the phone" portion of my "get ready for tomorrow" routine. Then I re-traced n re-traced my tracks again since I'd last used the phone during my work break.

I surmised it must have fallen out of my pocket at some point, but where...? My brain was foggy during empty pockets time, n there's so much in those pockets all day, pens, markers, eye-drops, box-cutter, paper towels, vinyl food gloves, n snacks. It was on silent mode, but I tried calling it with the land-line anyway, figuring I might hear it buzz, or if someone found it, it would say the call was from "home" n there would be a better chance of return, as my name isin't on it anywhere.

I felt half-naked n vulnerable going to work n errands without it. Funny how secure you feel going out knowing you can call for help, n how quickly we are spoiled with it. Mostly the inconvenience of not having the option bothered me. I'd been using the clock often too. 

Mostly I found, I regretted losing the contact numbers no longer memorized as in the old days. Some of those I'd have no way to get again. Then there are some addresses quickly texted to me when bumping into old friends. Folks used to texting me questions would not be read, or get answers either...

Two full days of searching I put in, cleaning spots in the house where I'd unloaded stuff after work. At work I searched places I'd been n asked folks to keep an eye-out. 

By SnaggleTooth Summer 2014
Then today after I put a bright, clip lamp in the hallway to move some laundry, there it was, behind a pile! Yay it was at home! It must have fallen out of my pocket after I threw the work pants on top there, n I'd checked the pockets afterwards. Whew, what a relief!

Definitely it's not good to be so tired you can't remember what you- had done on auto-pilot. It would really stink to have to get a new phone n number, n waste already paid for minutes. 

The first thing I did besides plugging in the charger, was copy all the contact info by hand into a notebook- so at least I'd have those numbers accessible somewhere else. Lesson learned, problem solved. If there's a next time, won't lose the important stuff.
(Harbor water pics from beginning of Summer)

12 Comments:

At 12:52 AM, Blogger desk49 said...

One losses this
Then they loss that
Like the thing on my head
Wait that was my hat

The car keys I can’t find
I had left in the door
It was simple to me
But the wife let out a roar

Not sure what was funny
She had such a great time
Rolling around the floor
Sticking at things I can’t find

Someday she loss it
Revenge will be mine
On the floor I’ll be rolling
For quite a long time

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger LL Cool Joe said...

So glad there was a happy ending to this post and you found your phone! I don't have a mobile so do not have any attachment to one, but I'm sure I would if I did!!

 
At 4:49 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Ellis, Don't forget your hat,
or lose the keys-
Or pitch silly laughing fits,
At the others' mistakes please! Thanks

LLcoolJ, I spend so much time out, late at night in the a.m. alone. So many times it's helped me out- plus I can look up game scores, weather reports n text without disturbing sleeping folks, but still get through. Yep- you would, just like your ipad.

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Tabor said...

Yes, we all have been there and done that. We have too much stuff to keep track of and now that things are digital if you lose one item, you forget how important the stuff on that item is!! Glad you found it.

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger G. B. Miller said...

Uggh...reminds me once when I got home from work and started preparing for dinner and what not. Went to take my phone out of the holder and much to my annoyance I didn't have it on my person.

However, I did have it on my desk at work, so after a twenty minute drive into the city, I retrieved my cell phone and drove back home. Ultimately it took me about a hour to finally get home (3 trips of 20 minutes in length).

Father Nature's Corner

 
At 4:58 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Tabor, It was a first for me- I still have all the old numbers from my youth memorized, but not the modern ones. Never mind we want quick replies to inquiries now with the text thing! thanks.

GB, Lucky that you could go back to check- n knew where it was! My workplace is locked up after I leave. I had to wait a day to search there. Plus I was paranoid it could be outdoors or thrown out.

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

Oh - I'm so glad you found it! That would have been terrible.

Sorry I missed this post - I'm catching up. I've sort of been off of blogging a bit, but so glad I saw your beautiful photo and the bonus poem from Ellis. :)

 
At 1:32 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Lynn, really it's a big safety issue not to have it. I'll try to leave the sound on more too-
I've been alot slower posting n reading also- Thanks. I did feel like I was alone on an island without the phone! So posted the harbor pics. Ellis is always a fun comment!

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!! So glad you found it.

I know what you mean about feeling so vulnerable without a phone. Did I charge mine. Need to do that later.

Sadly, my old iPhone has been missing for a couple months now, I wouldn't really care but I have a lot of song in progress on it, in the vocal recording part. Had it on a Tuesday night in Kelly's bedroom when she was sewing, and realized it was missing that Thursday. boohoo, woe is moi. Hopefully it will show up.

xoxoxo

 
At 6:05 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Jannie, Always a big bummer to lose the tunes built in after so much time. So many iPods get stolen too. I hope it's still in the house- Remember to move n re-sort all the laundry piles!

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Yep, maybe I will find it in some clothes somewhere!

And if it never shows up, no biggie. There will be other songs come up. :)

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Jannie, I recently got a digital recorder to try not to lose myself-
Lost two pairs of reading glasses in two weeka too! Good luck to you to find that-

 

Post a Comment

<< Home