Friday, January 17, 2014

Harbor Ice

Image by SnaggleTooth Jan 2014


There was alot of ice on the main Front Beach water, on the right side of the pier. It's not all smooth like freshwater, n not good for skating. It's grainy, n breaks up with the constant water motion.



Photo by SnaggleTooth Jan 2014

The thing about sea ice is, the tide goes in n out, so at low tide you can stand on the ice resting on sand n still be fairly safe. (which I did, but these pics were all taken from the pier).

Image by SnaggleTooth Jan 2014
Much easier to look at the ice now that we've had several days above freezing on a very long January thaw. A few more days, n we'll get back to icy times here again according to the weather predictors. We've been doing damp, foggy, n in the 40's, not good for arthritis aches. Or seeing the halo around the Full Moon.

Today I actually took off n put away the Little Tree deck lights n power cord, usually impossible under normal icy conditions.


Photo by SnaggleTooth Jan 2014So many businesses have scaled back for slow season now- I recently learned the village Laundry-mat has closed for three days per week, including both of my Days Off. Looks like I'll only be able to get there if I take  time off work or skip a workday's sleep! 

Image by SnaggleTooth Jan 2014

I predict alot more bucket washing n missed sleep in my near future until May... Hopefully with less ice.


Photo by SnaggleTooth Jan 2014

All of the altered images in this post came from this original photo. I like the texture changes.

6 Comments:

At 9:30 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

Oh my - so beautiful! I can only imagine it though and am sure you ready to say goodbye to that soon.

 
At 5:47 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Lynn, Sometimes the sea ice is awesome to behold. It needs prolonged under 30F weather to form. I hear this week will be round 2 of sub-z days.

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

The varied texture in that ice is unbelievable. Can you walk on that ice?

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

yeah, cool ice, nature ever varying her palette and patterns. i used to find it hard skating on the bumpy stuff. do they ever skate or drive cars when it freezes over thick and hard? xxxooo

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger TALON said...

The ice on the ocean has a whole different life to it. You captured that perfectly, Snaggle. Sorry the laundromat had to closed on your days off - that's annoying!

 
At 12:47 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Gran Annie, It's a risky thing to try that, so I'm careful not to go out the over water sections- but I suppose you could on the lighter color section. Sea ice breaks up into flows usually- not like a lake.

Jannie, It's sea water- not as safe as the Arctic, , tides make it break up. No cars on the beach here- I like the frozen wrinkles on the left-

Talon, I try to relate the difference in saline ice with tidal movement, but everyone thinks of how lakes are- I hear the Great ones are totally icing up this year! Laundrymat is very tiring already!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home