Thursday, January 09, 2014

Freezin' Breezes

Photo by SnaggleTooth Winter 2013

What a way to begin a new year- Freezin' the blitzes out of our britches! "Polar Vortex" the new description of the US weather. I feel bad for the southern folks who don't have heat or heavy coats, n can't deal with the extreme conditions.

At least up North here we do this several times a winter, so are prepared for the drill of needing warm clothes, a shovel, n rock salt on hand.

I'd like to thank the LL.Bean Company of Portland Maine for opening a new branch nearby last year, where this fall I got returned boots on sale 50% off for $40 (usually $120), n the warmest gloves I've ever had for about $30. Also, the large, lined purple over-"Shirt" received as a gift years ago n was rated as good up to -50 F for hiking,  I've been using as a coat over a flannel shirt, hoodie, n another insulated over-shirt, has made walking in sub-zero temps possible.

With my usual 3 layers of shirts on, that makes 7 layers in all! Did I mention long underwear is on first, bottoms plus top, n 2-3 pairs of socks.

Then I add-on the head a fleece ear-band, a wide scarf twice, (around neck, then face)  n double thick knit hat under the hoodie hood. 
A great way to render your-self unrecognizable, n looking like your ready to rob a bank... I recently noticed a sign on the bank door requesting to remove head gear n sunglasses before entering. Can't blame them really, but it's been so Freezin'!

At home Mischief has 3 hot water filled jars around the sides of her new for Xmas kitty bed, n I've moved up to 5 kettle-water jars in the chair here with several throw blankets on top. I think keeping warm with moving around is easier, like doing the laundry. If you go outside, then back in- it tends to feel warmer in the house too. I'm so glad today's chores are finally done... Blanket here I come!

Photo by SnaggleTooth Winter 2013
It's still under 20 F out there now, but that's summer-
time compared to yesterday!

I'm cold just looking at these guys out in the winter cove water a few weeks ago. I haven't taken ice pics out there yet, it's pretty frozen- No one is out there this week! Hope to upload some of the deep snow pics from a few days ago sometime soon from a remote location, if I feel like another walk out there... or maybe next week!

Hope you all found good ways to deal with that Artic blast-

12 Comments:

At 5:49 AM, Blogger Tabor said...

You make me feel guilty about my weather complaints. 7 layers?? Egad.

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

I am never a bundler. I will run outside in my shirtsleeves regardless of the temperatures. Sometimes I will put on a sweater or light jacket. Not this year! Its jeans and boots and gloves and huge fur lined parka. The chickens don't know who the stranger is trudging through the snow and ice bringing them food. I am so happy to have all those bargains to keep you warm.

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

There have been a lot of jokes about our city virtually shutting down on Tuesday because of single digit temperature, but it was mostly that they closed the schools for fear of children not dressing warmly enough at the bus stops.

That's a lot of layering you did - I can't imagine that. I'm loving those bargains you got - awesome. So glad you have those boots and gloves to stay warm.

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

hello. my intrepid, Winter Girl.

nice deal on those boots indeed!

I can imagine about the banks wanting to see folks' faces. Crazy times, you can't be too careful about potential thieves.

We are actually having a warm-up after some cold temps. 65 high today with the next week all reaching about 70 for the high. No excuse for me not to get out walking!!

xooxo

 
At 12:21 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Tabor, more thin layers always works better keeping me warm. Hope today is warming up alot down south there foe you.

Gran Annie, I always am- even in summer. Tank top, with over shirt, n bring hoodie for bug hour... LL.Bean are high quality, life-time guaranteed Gear which has performed very well - Your chickens probably recognize your footstep sounds!

Lynn, I heard alot of water pipes broke n cars got stuck to roads in ice. Good thing for the kids they didn't have to wait out there. Yep, layers really work! Got the Bean gear together for the right year!

Jannie, You used to do winter up North once upon a childhood- So you know what I'm talkin' about- Hope your toes didn't get too frozen in Tex!
The bank sign made me laugh because everyone was covered up! Yikes! Mass robbery! Let's split the take 20 ways... Really tho, an old white guy called "The Beanie Bandit" with a brimmed knit hat has been hitting local banks recently!
70 sounds heavenly- I was pleased with 20's today! My big joke today was exclaiming "Summer!" to other folks on the street... n I got laughs-

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger TALON said...

Glad you and Mischief are safe 'n warm, Snaggle. The cold has been intense! I'm beginning to feel a bit like I've got cabin fever this year!

 
At 1:28 AM, Blogger Buddy T. Doxie said...

so happy you are staying worme I am under the blankets try to keep it that way,so when "Pal" get's in he is warm..... Love my human Lucy

 
At 3:31 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Talon, We have our drill down- Staying home all the time is never good- Field trips just add spice to the day, Even in the cold.

Lucy, So nice of you to warm up a spot for Pal.

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Erica B said...

When they were saying it was going to warm up to 20, I was shouting "beach day!" all over the internet- mainly facebook and twitter. lol

 
At 5:12 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

MB, That's funny we did the same sarcastic type of joke! See reply to Jannie above- :)

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger LL Cool Joe said...

I hope I wouldn't have to remove my headgear when I went into the bank. I suppose I would remove my shades but that's it!

 
At 11:49 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

LLcoolJ, It's a great way to totally show off screwed-up, hat-flat hair! I did totally think of you when I saw the sign!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home