Friday, January 03, 2014

More Recent Thoughts

Image by SnaggleTooth Winter 2013

The past year I've been visiting with some old, paperback books, courtesy of the free exchange shelf at the Post Office. I'm currently right in the middle of Tropic of Capricorn by Henry Miller, published way back in 1961, about his life in New York City when he lived there, quite a wild existence read about so far. Some could be put off by the described amorality found in there, btw- n from the pre- '60s era!

Written in a stream of thought form, some parts are tough to absorb, since it contains so much description of where his brain was at the time. There is much flashing back to his past from what he's getting at.  I was stopped in my reading tracks about a week ago, after reading a section which rang so true, I've not been able to quit thinking about his point. I even tried to describe the concept to a few folks, that bread never tastes better than when you are ten years old... as related to how children think of Christmas time.

Image by SnaggleTooth Winter 2013

Here's the defining paragraph which held my attention so long:

"... What I am thinking of, with a certain amount of regret and longing, is that this thoroughly restricted life of early boyhood seems like a limitless universe and the life which followed upon it, the life of the adult, a constantly diminishing realm. From the moment one is put to school one is lost; one has the feeling of having a halter put around his neck. Getting the bread becomes more important than eating it. Everything is calculated and everything has a price upon it. ..."
- (quote from page 129, P-2)

Photo by SnaggleTooth Winter 2013
As the current blizzard rages outside, with winds pulling the heat out, n while playing the movie Avitar again in the BG, I'm writing this. I've always known that conformity limits potential n creativity, even if it's necessary for being part of a civilization.

I think we all remember how good the bread of infinite possibility tasted when we were young...

12 Comments:

At 8:56 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

Age should not limit the taste of infinite possibility.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Neo said...

Henry has a point. When you're told not to draw outside the lines anymore it limits you. School has a soul killing aspect to it that you don't realize until years later after the damage has been done.

The good news is when you realize this you can reverse it over time.

I was fortunate, I had teachers that pushed me to be creative, to write stories, and draw pictures. I think that went a long way into helping the creativity flourish.

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

I'm impressed you are reading Henry Miller - I think that literary crowd back in the day was hard living, hard drinking.

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...


Gran Annie, I agree, if only someone else would pay the rent...


Neo, I hated school so much when I was stifled- Mind you I was in Parochial school which was crazy strict- I knew the damage right away- n fought all the way thru to do artwork even tho they took it out of the curriculum. You were lucky to have such support.

Lynn, when I saw the title I'd remembered hearing about "Tropic of Cancer" way back in my memory somewhere, n decided to take it. Amazing how a 50 year old work can ring so relevant to today's experience. NYC doesn't seem to have changed all that much! Except now there is no need of the messenger service he was in charge of hiring for!

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Neo said...

I know, they spotted my creativity young. Most aren't as lucky these days...

 
At 5:30 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo, Henry also described the good taste of bread given with love, n stolen bread , which always tasted better than all the rest! Without creativity, life gets so boring- It's so important to innovate.

 
At 3:11 AM, Blogger Buddy T. Doxie said...

Wow wish I could read better no understand I read ok. Hay lady how cold is over there ? Well it so cold over hear I didn't even go out in the truck,but still had to go out to pee. .(It was sooo fast out & in...lol) Well have to get back under the blankets.... Love ya good lookin.....
LUCY

 
At 5:43 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Lucy, I knew we shoulda moved to Alaska, it was 38F there today, n only 12F here! Yay it isin't -40F windchill like Chicago was! Atlanta was 6F, but our windchill was -2F. I still had to go out to work- wore 7 layers n was ok. I love my wide scarf!

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger LL Cool Joe said...

I agree about school. It's rare to find a teacher that will allow creativity to flow if it doesn't fit into their syllabus!

 
At 12:58 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

LLcoolJ, I had to deal with cut art n Music in High school budget cuts. The rebel in me found a way to do it there anyhow- on alot of book-covers, Painted stage-play sets, taught guitar, acted, danced, n choreographed productions in my free time. The whole school new I was an artist, even without a class.

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

I am about to bake some new loaves with a fresh recipe! :)

True, tho, I think age 10 IS the limitless possibility age of all ages. You think it, you are it. After that, you have to work to get back to that mind time.

Interesting to think of NYNY in 1961 -- I'd like to time travel there.

xoxo

 
At 12:39 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Jannie, we get free over-ripe bananas at work now, so I made some of my blogger friend Ellen's Banana Bread with choc. chips today. Will be breakfast all week now- Yep, Ten was the best time! Apparently, NYC was very wild even then! I feel like I was there- so different without the current paranoia. Reading is the easiest time machine...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home