Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Icy

Photo by SnaggleTooth 2009

.
.

Today's only the 14th, but for some reason, it feels like the new month of the year has flown past me already. I want more done by now, I guess. Time drags when you're over-tired! The deep freeze stretching all the way from Chicago is settling in here on the Cape.
.
I went out to get errands done figuring it'll only be more dangerously sub-z in the next few days. I snapped a few out on the pier before diving back into Little Truck real quick to get the feeling back in my hands. Wind-chill out there in the wind is intolerable. The ice on the pier is treacherous. I stayed well away from the edges.
.
My current tooth-ache is even less tolerable in this cold tho- My sinuses have been bleeding a bit with the dryness. At least the sore lungs n throat have finally cleared up. I can talk n sing again, now I just need the ambition to clean the dust off the instruments before I run out of free time to take advantage of it.
.
This is the first Wedsnesday I've had off in four months. The store was really crowded. I don't know if that's normal for this day of the week, or if everyone else was trying to beat the weather too. Flurries are forecast for the morning again. The road in front n driveway are all ice, so the bucket of sand is getting used alot already.
.
Forgive my rant ad-nauseum about the young folks staying downstairs n their noise, which is affecting my mood n rest at home. I need peace n quiet, n there isin't any! The birds I like to watch are all frightened away. I got very little satisfaction today by playing some U2 to answer their steady "boom, boom, da boom," of non-stop music.
Really, I'm fighting an urge to get the hammer n start pounding immaginary nails at odd moments, like they did to me the other day. Alas, that wouldn't be right, even if deserved.
Luckily for them, I treat everyone as I wish to be treated, altho I find it impossible to ignore their presence which intrudes into my limited free time's quality. I keep praying for more patience.
.
Photo by SnaggleTooth 2009The only good side effect of neighbors, that the heat is on downstairs n heat rises, will definately come in handy for the Big Chill this week. It's the only silver lining in the thunderclouds of sound rolling in here.
.
If only I could get some rest to feel good enough accomplish some tasks too long delayed. Still, I'm not quite good enough to deal with items beyond immediate needs. I wonder how I'll feel about the new year's progress at the end of January. At this rate, I may not get to my list until June, but at least it's warm in here, if not quiet...




7 Comments:

At 1:37 AM, Blogger David Edward said...

umm noise canceling headphones? I know they are expensive, but...

 
At 6:56 AM, Blogger Milk Brain said...

These super cold temps is really one of the only things I don't like about the winters. Thankfully we don't live in an area where temps are like this ALL winter! I don't think I could handle it.

When you said neighbors I thought you meant next door. That sucks that they are down stairs. Do you have any idea how long they'll be staying? and there are decencey laws with regards to quiet hours. If it continues, I would call the police and have them order your neighbors to turn it down. They may not realize how thin the ceiling is. You don't have to tolerate it. If it were me, and yes I've done this while living in an apartment, I would go knock on the door and ask them to turn it down or the cops will be called. Even if they are related to the landlord they still have to follow rules, or God forbid atleast be considerate.

I didn't forget about the meme, I jut haven't gotten there, like you i have to to figure out things to write down.

on the 28th, I looks like I'll be down in the area for work. I've got gifts for you and Christine I will need to drop off or perhaps can meet with christine before she goes into work. unfortunatly I can't hang out because I will have to go to cohasset after.

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

David, good idea, but the vibrations would prob still wake me anyhow. The bouse shakes alot!

MB, I don't know how folks make it thru those Canadian winters-
First 4 days, 3 parties! Today they're quiet(prob hungover). Prob their first Apt- June ha-ha. They're brats from CT.
So far the Meme is 0 for 7- but I'll keep checking. Everyone's blogging has slowed down alot!
Been wondering about your prez, wow, you're later than my card project! Now I don't feel too bad- Darn, I prob won't see you then.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger TALON said...

Aww, that's too horrible about the noise. Hopefully, if it is their first time on their own and they're going crazy with the whole idea, they'll burn themselves out. Not getting your rest is the worst...maybe you could try the polite, "Do you mind keeping it quiet from _ to _ as I have to sleep in order to get up for work?" (though I get you on the hammer thing - lol!)

Yeah, this deep freeze is nasty. Here in Ontario we get at least a week of it every winter. Thermal underwear is our best friend...and praying for low wind speeds. I feel sorry for the prairie provinces who are experiencing wind chills in the 44 below zero range (ours is about 28 below). It's not even a case of "grin and bear it" because you could freeze your face off!

Love the pics. That water looks freezing! You were brave to venture out - looks very icy!

 
At 4:07 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Talon, I talked to them about my work n sleep hours the first day, n it didn't sink in. They're too young to understand I can't burn the candle on both ends like they can-
The pier was prob -20F or less with the high winds there. I always got multi-layers on when it's below freezing. It hasn't been this cold here since '95 the news said. The piece of equiptmnet I want now is goggles for my eyes-
Thanks, sometimes I'm too brave! I try not to be foolish tho-

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Without rest, all else is pretty hard to handle.

I tried those noise-canceling headphones, bought a pair. They did not work, maybe it was the brand I bought.

Tell them to get night jobs too!

xo

 
At 3:41 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

JanF, I'm doing marathon sleep deprivation this week- So the headphones didn't work? Bummer! Maybe the ones used to muffle sound on the gun-range would help...
If they had jobs, they might not be around so I could sleep!
There's no work around here-

 

Post a Comment

<< Home