Thursday, May 01, 2008

MayDay

Photo by SnaggleTooth MayDay '08

("*Image to be added when the connection God allows." It just took no fewer than 20 tries over 3 days to add this visual...)

Today, I went back to my fav beach spot for one more time before the tourists crowd in, to witness the free sundown show. It was high-tide, n the gulls were at the water's edge awaiting their washed in dinner.
.
Alot of folks are eating carefully lately. I shop the bargain bin myself, n spend very little at the market. I don't ever buy full priced bread or canned goods. If I had children to feed these days, I suppose alot of pasta n rice would be on the menu, with thin helpings of meat n veggies spread thru it, instead of as separate items on the plates...
.
I remember the good old days when my girls lived off of Ramon noodles purchased six for a buck. I'm curious what those same groceries I'd bought then would cost today, as the prices continue to sky-rocket beyond reach.
.
A woman at the meat counter today exclaimed "No one can buy this stuff!" to which I added,
"Think I'll become a vegetarian..." I was kidding, tho have cut back drastically to a couple of small meat items per month.
.
Only rich folks can buy the steak these days. Who can possibly afford $25 on only one part of one meal? Only on rare, special occasions (at restaurants) has that been spent on one plate of food in my presence. I can't even remember the last time I could afford a roast anything. Never mind the preferred organics. Fresh produce has been outrageous also.
.
Walking through produce I actually found fresh "State Farm" bagged spinach for $1.50 - Of course the trade off- it was choppy, had some bug-holes, n a few foriegn objects to wash off of it. A little extra time n labor for that buck off. I'm cooking it right now.
I'm weird like that. I'll just eat a little spinach for dinner. (Makes me feel strong like Pop-eye). I'll save the leftover for a few random bites after work next week. I need iron, n Lutien helps my vision health. Even Mischief likes it, n begs for it.
.
Luckily I get to fill in some of my menu holes with quality cast-offs from work. That's good n bad, because I get tempted with all the sugar stuff. Thank goodness they stopped making the triple chocolate thing!
.
On the water's edge I found a few more empty whelk shells to bring home for my garden shell pile. n window collection. The birds must like to eat those.
.
Happy bargain shopping... (spinach is better than seaweed!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home