Thursday, October 26, 2006

Local Color

Scan of actual leaves by SnaggleTooth




Although I'm still patiently awaiting the trees around my place to all turn other shades besides green, I found some good leaves to scan near my job today.

Scan of actual leaves by SnaggleTooth
The leaves here took such a beating from the moth caterpillars this year, it may have adversely affected the normal color routine. One red Oak n the maple out front have turned brownish shades n shedded, but the rest of the foliage still remains green, maybe trying to make up storage time lost because the second round of lScan of actual leaves by SnaggleTootheaves came out so late in the summer.Scan of actual leaves by SnaggleTooth











...
...
Things around here can get pretty wierd around Halloween. The local diving Center right up the street held an underwater Pumpkin Carving Contest- BBbrrhhh! Blub, blub, blub!

7 Comments:

At 2:49 PM, Blogger Milk Brain said...

i saw the little peak map on the news last night.. i think you guys are approaching if not in peak time now. it's weird how it's so different and we're in the same state.

why would anyone want to carve a pumpkin under water? not me that's for sure.. it's awkward enough on the ktichen table!

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

Your color is so much better than mine right now, not surprising. I did notice yesterday on my rounds around the city that the leaves are finally beginning to turn some beautiful colors on certain trees.... Maples and Oaks mostly.
But not all Maples. I have a big Sugar Maple in my front yard, and it is the last to lose leaves in the whole neighborhood. You'd think with the number of times I've been out to sweep off the driveway, they'd have already all come down, but no... this sucker likes to hold out and be the last to hold on. What's really cool about it though, is that it has a Creeping Virgina vine that winds around the base, and all through the tree. All the leaves on that are red and golden with the autumn colors, but the leaves on the tree itself are still very green.

Your pictures are beautiful and laid out well. It reminds me of a picture I framed of autumn leaves many years ago.... and still hangs in my kitchen.

As for pumpkin carving.... MB is right, and I use knives everyday.

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

MB, The hill here seems to be immune to the changing except those two trees! Also, I still have flowers I moved against the house still blooming- Marigolds, Susans, Buttons, n one mini-Poppy, so the elevation seems to be key.
When I saw pics in the paper of little kids in wet-suits with the (good) pumpkins I was floored- what a weird idea for publicity!

Ellen, We seem to be having quite a species time-delay difference here this year, also. Sugar Maples are the prettiest, usually! The Maple-Beard just did brown this time! In the past we've had gorgeous family shots done against it's brilliant colors...
We've got lots of green left on this hill!

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

A great array of colour.

 
At 4:30 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Jean-Luc, Merci Boucoup, I'm glad you enjoyed the selections. I hope there's more before the wind takes them all away for another year...

We've had quite a windy couple of days here on the NorthEast US coast-

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger X said...

Fall has such purty colours! My fave season for sure!

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

OilF, I like alot about it, but not the raking... thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home