Saturday, October 07, 2006

Odd Day Off

Hello blog-rant fans...
....
My arms, wrists, n fingers are incredibly sore as the cooler air of lower 40's near dawn has blown in on a easterly sea-beeze this week. Arthritis takes it's toll, adding on top of the job-lifting-use-abuse.
....
This week's work schedule (for today) came out about 10 last night, just after I was asked to leave early to avoid another 4 hours of over-time pay. Frankly, I'm so aggrivated, sore, n exhausted I couldn't wait to leave... I unexpectedly got today off, which meant my days off are split apart, n having to get the mail at the post-office before noon (it closes), meaning skipping my sleep-hours again. If I miss it, then pick-up would have to wait until the end of the week, putting things past-due.
....
Chances are my digits will be in even worse shape by the next one day off, due to the punishment I'll endure on the job-machine-unit this week until my co-worker gets back from vaca #2. (It must be nice). Two other people have learned the position, but refuse to do it since I've been there. Actually, I don't want to do it either! I'm way too old for this stuff...
...
But I'm not a person who says "I can't because I don't want to." I'm not a quitter... I'm a trooper. 10, 12, n 14 hour shifts in a constant hurry to keep up with an easily messed-up product on a contraption of high volume.
Not many folks can handle the pressure.
It's pure insanity!
...
At the spit-out end of this production line, not one new person learns the pick-it-up part without mentioning Lucy n Ethel at the chocolate factory...
(n this is worse)!
...
I won't say which national chain it is, but it's widely well-known. I'm not worried about the company ever going down, but prob I'll go down first...
Jobs in the Cape area are very scarse in the off-season.
(Answer to Question: "Why don't you just get a different job?")
N I do like to stay busy.
...
... ... ... ... ... ...
Except for the swamp down the Village Ave by the peeper pond, Autumn colors are still sparse here. I'm familiar with this yearly split-color-changing-zones on the same road effect, due to lower elevation.
Only two small Holly vines are red out in the woods right here, n one little Beech that got trimmed to death by the wood-chipper dudes last summer is pink. The rest are still holding green. It's been cold, so I expect peak in about ten days from now. Even if I get in some photo-op time, the film processing will have to wait a bit, already got the last roll on back-log, too. Maybe I'll do leaf scans again when they finally get flamboyant.
...
I got out to the deck garden n switched containers around a bit, to give baby ever-green trees more growing room, until I ran out of soil again. So much for thinking I'd get it all done. It's nice to get outside in the daylight once in awhile. I usually only see it on the drive into work... or as Dawn is breaking after a very long shift.
...
A few days ago I picked the numerous little cones off the Blue Spruce, then threw them around different places in the woods. At least I won't have to pick them out of the lawn next spring before the mower kills them. Maybe someday in my old-age I'll get to drive past the woods n see some of the trees I planted growing there. These woods used to be all Blue Spruce n Elm, like the rest of the Cape until they were clear-cut for lumber in the 1800's. I haven't seen an Elm Tree Since I moved from Metro-West (or I'd plant some seeds here). I guess Dutch-Elm Disease did the local Elms in a few decades back.
...
I actually think it's sad that the Ecclesiastical, White Ash, n Huckle-berry trees in my yard (brought here from a merchant Marine 100 years ago) have no matching species pollen with which to produce seeds.
...
Guess I'm a bit obsessed with living trees... They cheer me up, n depress me when they're chopped down. That's what I like best about this location, along with the ocean water-views, of course.
...
The Autumn leaves feel almost like doing a master-piece without having to paint anything.
Bring-on that canvas...

7 Comments:

At 6:27 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

I agree, the canvas of Autumn is one of the most beautiful paintings Mother Nature unfolds for us. It's one of the reasons I choose October to be married in.

So glad to see you had an odd day off... and I'll bet you spent the day working around the house and doing errands more than took some time off to just goof off or read. Hope you took a few moments for a nice cup of hot tea and reflection.

Your reference of Lucy and Ethel reminded me of the picture Mike posted over at 25-year Plan. I personally think that one skit is the funniest I've ever seen, and can't help but laugh out loud whenever I see it.... no matter how many times.

Hope you get some more good days in before the snow falls. Hard to believe a whole year has gone by already, isn't it?

 
At 1:38 AM, Blogger Michael K. Althouse said...

I like this time of year too. I don't get the colors so much here, but they're up the hill a little way if we look for them. What I do get is my oak tree shedding every leaf it has en masse starting... today, apparently.

And... it snowed hard enough in the mountains today to bring out the chain requirments...
It's gonna be a good winter.

mike

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Milk Brain said...

our leaves out "west" will most likely peak this weekend.. they're looking good now, but not quite fully there yet. you wouldn't know it though by all the traffic and leaf peepers on the roads.. last friday was just miserable if you wanted to go anywhere. not only did we have loads and loads of out of towners but there were accidents everywhere holdign up traffic, and you couldn't avoid it... well i did, i got off the highway early, and then went out of my way about 10 minutes to take the road that travels up close to the rivers... locals know about it, but not the peepers! aha! i win. the main cause for traffic on friday was due to a crane that rolled over into a culvert on 5&10. it decided to swerve and not squish teh little prius that stopped short in front of the crane for no reason. it took over 10 hours to get the crane out of there, so the short cut that everyone takes to avoid the congestion on 91 was also severly congested, and teh highway traffic was backed up for a minimum of 10 south of the gfield rotary exit b/c of the bridge construction. it's never that bad... it's bad, but not that bad. good thing i know my way around! ther's nothing like waiting in traffic for an hour, for a section of the drive you know only takes 10 minutes. suckers.

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Ellen, There do seem to be many nupyuals in the fall. You must have your hands full in the party business now.
I have very little "leisure time." I'm so behind on "to-do's"-
I really love that skit too- n really, every single (English-speaking) new person mentions it!
Ya, time is flying ...

Mike, I finally broke-down n put down the storm windows. I really dislike that closed in feeling of the winter, n will re-open them a couple inches at every oportunity.
I'm not lookin forward to shovelin... but sledding, ok!

I wonder if the leaves grow right back as they do in Florida? Only one Oak tree isin't bad. I have a forest of them right across the street, n I usually have to rake at least twenty times because of the windy conditions here by the cove.
Maybe a story or two will send you up to the color-zone. Enjoy what you can- play in those leaves!

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

MB, I actually heard about those jams on the news, n wondered if you were in that mess... Ya, I've had trips like that on the one exit ride to work lately on rt25- The sea-gulls from Columbus Day were bumper to bumper again!

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger X said...

Trees cheer me up too :)

Hope your fingers start feeling better soon...but rock on to leaving early and having an unexpected day off!

 
At 2:44 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

OilF, Trees are nifty (but messy).
I need a better job to rest my hands a bit, n hand-warmers. Gloves here we come again...
Ya, n here I just got more time off due to long hours again!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home