Saturday, June 10, 2006

Flying Worms

The caterpillar invasion I earlier posted about made the local paper this week, due to it's unusual severity. It's the worst I've seen here. Wish I had pics developed already (or a digi-cam) to show you just how thick they are. (That chore has to wait a bit).
...
It's continued to rain all week since the last post, with few breaks of non-precip inbetween, n zero sunshine. I finally went out on the deck for about a half-hour, n ended up picking off another hundred or more from the higher n drier spots with long-nose pliers.
Talk about skin-crawlin... They're in bunches, now larger n more bloated than last week. I think they're the tent variety out there today, cause most have the spiky-hairs, which can sting n cause allergic reactions. The gross "frass" poop - black, tiny pellets are everywhere. When they're done for the season I'll need to bleach the deck-boards.
...
When I put the trash can out last week, the entire handle was covered with them, n I sqwished a few picking it up before finding something to remove them with - yuc!
I was irked, n usually, I'm not bothered by them besides the plant-eating down-side. I'm not afraid of spiders, or mice, or frogs, or garden snakes n will usually pick them up n put them off in the woods to give them a fighting chance. But these swarming crawlers got a jar-full of hot, soapy water to say bye-bye in.
...
There are zero oak leaves showing across the road here in the second week of June. According to the paper, it's the new species arrival of Winter Moth (tiny green-looper caterpillars) which have eaten all the newly budded leaves off of all the Oak trees. They're stripped bare! Luckily, some Maples n Beech trees have been spared a few leaves. The Oaks, Crab-apple, n Cherry trees afflicted may yet be able to sprout another round of leaf-buds, but if not, looks like the rakin will be much lighter this fall! It still looks like the winter-woods out there...
...
Black wooley moth, Gypsy Moth, Eastern Tent, n Forest Tent species are what we're reported to be dealing with locally (in a bumper crop not seen since the early 80's). Now with all this dampness, we may be saved from another severe year if they catch fungus diseases which is what slowed them down the last time when the Gypsy variety went out of control.
...
I may be missin my triangle of woods, the shade, the birds, n the natural privacy screen from the other houses all summer... Ugh!
At least most of my deck plants, n my little evergreen tree collection are not getting chomped badly yet. The annual seedlings are just beginning to sprout up. If it stops drizzlin I'll run out there n powder them all, which is usually done sooner. The rain has really knocked us all off schedule this spring.
...
Still waitin on most of the green tho!

12 Comments:

At 9:45 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

Uggggg! I remember the gypsy moth invasion of the early 80's. It looked like winter in the middle of the summer because all the trees were stripped bare in NH. And all those webby looking condos they built were freaky looking as well. They do a lot of damage, and I'm almost surprised the sprayers haven't come out to hold them at bay.... although I know that's bad for the environment also.
I got a kick on how you handled them with your hot soapy bath!

 
At 12:54 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Ellen, The first jar last week had no soap n was VERY ripe when I tried to add in more- so figured the soap would cut down on the smell somewhat, and works faster. Maybe I'll soap the plants...

They won't be spraying here, someone already decided it only would've worked two weeks ago when the caterpillars are at the smaller stage.

 
At 2:06 AM, Blogger David Edward said...

peace and love to you!

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Thanks David, I hope your neck of the woods fares better, same back-

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger X said...

I am not a bug fan at all!!!! (As we have seen by my recent bought with black fly issues!) I hope they all go away and come back in a normal manner so the circle of life goes on...tra la la! (That sounded so tree-hugger! LOL)

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Hi K, I hope the trees get to live too, cause I really AM a tree-hugger, n like some privacy from summer crowds too...
Heck, without the trees, I may as well go back to the city! Joy, looks like a bumper crop of Sceeters, too!

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Milk Brain said...

one of my clients told me yesterday about that time in the 80's. he said people were putting grease/vasaline on the trees to help keep the trees healthy... maybe you need to grease up the deck!

 
At 12:33 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

MB, I put shoo-fly spray to repel the bees n Seven bug-dust all over the deck (n trees in yard) today. There's so much Frass (poop pellets). They really show up in the white powder on the deck- it's gotta be full of bacteria!
I will need to bleach it when they are gone to use the deck-

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger Milk Brain said...

thankfully i think most of ours are gone.. i see the occasional caterpillars around here, but our downtown got hit real bad this year.

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

MB, There are so many of these crawly-critters, all hungry, that they are resorting to eating the dead ones, n eating the not-so-tasty plants now! Of course they've left the Bittersweet vines n pesky Bamboo alone... eaten the lilacs, the Holly vines, the bramble roses, n begun to decimate the Maple leaves, too!

It will definately be very hot n bare here this summer!
I noticed Riverside still looks okay, at least! (On the other side of the Dummy Bridge)
Hope Your downtown comes back next time!

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - Wow, that sucks! When I was a kid I used to collect the little pillars in a jar and poke holes in the top of the jar. I'd wait for them to turn into butterflies then let them go. Ah, memories!

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Wow Neo, it's 6/28 n I just had time to find your comment! Sorry took so long. I like butterflies! Mobs of moths, though, I can do without. Being allergic to these caterpillars has really kept me in the past month, normally I'd be outside alot!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home