Saturday, May 27, 2006

Invaded

Snaggle Tooth





The seagulls are swarming back in by the flock here,
n I'm not talkin birds...
...
After the foggy, damp a.m., the Sun came out n so did the people. Not a parkin spot by the ramp to be had, n about twenty small-craft launched in an orderly fashion on the new lot n ramp.
A Propane Truck rolled over, went off the highway, closed down n tied up Rt. 24 both directions in Brockton all morning (on the way here), so I guess lots more folks coulda arrived here quicker...
...
The next door "R" neighbor's summer house sleeps twelve, n they look full-up.
I count four vehicles for downstairs, not includin the 25-foot boat. There's at least six young-adult/older teens n six middle-aged parent-adults downstairs. In the last post I forgot to mention there's a tent just outside my kitchen window (look down) again full of young men. The girls are in the trailer on the other side of the place,
which explains that crowded n squeezed in feeling I get lately...
For here, this is normal!
This is why I so loudly bemoaned losing all the peace to be had in our off-season.
...
Another thing I can't stand, is every time I decide to wash my hair, no matter when it is, some one down there has to flush or run the faucett, stealing away all the water pressure from upstairs so I can't get the soap out. So After work, I waited last night until after 2 a.m., for all to be relatively calmer down there (maybe they're sleepin)
but NO! In the beginning of rinsing my hair, They did it again!
I had to shut off the water, n wait until the water-running stops down there before I can get enough to finish.
They know, n yet they still do it.
Yet, I'm still not mean enough to do the same thing to them. (It's my rule not to do things to others I don't want done to me). So I guess that kinda makes me a sucker for punishment. I sometimes think of what I could do, if I really tried to get them back, though.
Lucky for them, I'm not the vindictive sort.
...
Today there was a 6.3 earthquake, in Yogjakarta, Indonesia.
Lots of damage, deaths, n homelessness. It's the 3rd recent Quake there, n fears of another Tsunami are understandably causing lots of stress for the victims. They're barely over the December 26, 2004 tragedy, for heaven's sake!
N I thought I was stressed...

Here's info from my visit the earthquake link in my sidebar.
6.3 2006/05/26 22:54:03 -7.977 110.318 35.0 JAVA, INDONESIA
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Maps/10/110_-10.php
Earthquake Details
Magnitude 6.3 (Strong) Date-Time Friday, May 26, 2006 at 22:54:02 (UTC)
= Coordinated Universal Time
Saturday, May 27, 2006 at 5:54:02 AM
= local time at epicenter Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones
Location 7.977°S, 110.318°E
Depth 35 km (21.7 miles) set by location program
Region JAVA, INDONESIA
Distances 20 km (15 miles) SSW of Yogyakarta, Java, Indonesia
115 km (70 miles) S of Semarang, Java, Indonesia
140 km (90 miles) SSE of Pekalongan, Java, Indonesia
445 km (275 miles) ESE of JAKARTA, Java, Indonesia

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 9.8 km (6.1 miles); depth fixed by location program
Parameters Nst=126, Nph=126, Dmin=451.6 km, Rmss=1.62 sec, Gp= 43°,
M-type=moment magnitude (Mw), Version=8
Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usneb6
...
Now, I'm sure some of you will go absotootely buggy trying to read that, n will skip it! I'm the strange sort who likes to read it, n understands most of it. I have far too much patience!
I put up with alot...

Here's a pic of connect the dots I happened on by accident n said "Wow!" It represents the last 8 to 30 days of quakes.
Hmmm... interesting pattern going on... http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/qed/



I wonder what's next...

5 Comments:

At 9:36 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

Ah yes, Memorial Day is opening day for the cottage dwellers of the Cape.... how I remember it well! We would sleep 14 to our cottage: 6 adults and 8 children varying in ages from babies to pre-teens. Quite a tight fit, especially for one bathroom! However our parents were pretty strict about noise... and our yard was big enough to play in, when we weren't shuffled off to the beach to go wild. Those were the days!

I read about the earthquake on the news ticker this morning.... yikes, those poor people can't seem to catch a break, can they? It almost makes you wonder if the earth is ready to split in two due to the line of connected dots!

Here's hoping that the down-stairs neighbors learn to clean up their act, and act decent to your space and solitude... although I know that's a tall order to fill.

Take care, sweetie.... I've been thinking about you for the last week, knowing that Memorial Day brings on the "seagulls", and loss of quiet to your pretty part of the earth.

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Milk Brain said...

sorry to hear that all hell has broken loose. our "tourists" are leaving this weekend... the difference is that ours stay 9 months, and party all the time... aka.. college students. the valley is such a nice place during the sumemr b/c they all go home. hang in there!

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Ellen, thanks! So your family did the cottage crammed full also! ah-ha! Well, parents aren't as strict as they used to be! It's VERY LOUD here! Just went from 3 people on this section of road to 27!

EQ- It's amazing that the list (how many) was very long for that short amount of time! All the major faultlines around the seven main tectonic plates have been active, tho most low magnitude n low depth, there've been increasing numbers of 5+ mag size n lower Depth!
The two larger Mag dots are in the same place as that 6.2 occurrence (at least 8 days earlier), kinda predicting the larger one about to strike...

MB, Thanks, n it is! 3 nights with about 2-hrs of Z's! The yelling n fighting teens are just like the parents! I almost called cops while the elders were out in the boat because of punched walls.
Hope yours goes well!

 
At 2:41 AM, Blogger Lacey said...

The earthquake was pretty horific. Where did you find those maps? They were very interesting.

-Lacey

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Snaggle Tooth said...
Lacey, Thanks for leaving a comment. I've always had a keen interest in Earth Science, especially earthquakes.

The maps are always available at the link "Earthquakes" shown on my side bar.
Also, I put the exact pic link in the (cursor over pic) "hover-notes" in the code.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home