Sunday, May 21, 2006

More WaterViews

Ipswitch River cresting K. Monroe

Today I finally had time to peruse all 384 of the slideshow photos sent
in by the local folkz for a few choice picks...

The slideshow pics as a collection also give ya a good idea of the locations n areas affected. There are many cities n towns on the that list: Gloucester, Salem, Amesbury, Tewksbury, Wilmington, Lowell, Peabody, Saugus, Lynn, Danvers, Middleton, Lawrence, n I may've missed a few here...

The link where These were found is in the post below. Locations n Photographers are listed in the file names n the hover-notes.
...
Here are the main River characters who were over-flowed, a bit on the class-5 Rapids category side-
 Text n pic by Andrew Powell Text on the above pic explains it.
...


... Merrimack River from Falls Bridge Lawrence, Shari
...
There was this one Real Estate sign stating "Waterfront Property" on the top, that about 20 different people seem to 've taken a pic of n uploaded (not posted here...). Eventually it was shown mostly under water. Also a restaurant's outdoor deck in Amesbury had a crowd taking it's pic from the nearby bridge.
A few folkz took the op to get the kiddies on the web next to flood waters (a bit too risky for my taste, according to that RE sign, where one child was posed before the water came up...) , or playing in the kayak out in the watery backyard,
(They didn't read about the sewage overflow, I guess- yuc!).
...
These are the areas MB commented about under my "Lotsa
Water" post below, n posted on her blog this week. Her job took her by these places.

...

Falls Bridge Lawrence, G. Percy
Rt114 & Rt495 on Lawence n Andover line, Shaundra C.
May your travels n rainfalls be much friendlier !

7 Comments:

At 10:58 AM, Blogger Michael K. Althouse said...

Wow, that's a lot of water! I hope you're doing OK. It's amazing to me that there has not been more on the news about this. Are we Katrina-ed out. Does this destruction not warrant national news coverage. I just don't get it.

~Mike

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Mike, I'm doing alright on the waterfront here.
I like being able to update blogland n the net about life conditions in my section of the planet. The flood damage n organized efforts to help victims are still on our local news broadcasts.
Maybe because the immediate crisis n weather-action that's more fun to video with remote crews is over, for the rest of the country it's on to the more exciting to watch stories? I dunno why it wouldn't get a minute.

There's been people who's yard slid away, people without power for days, another missing person's body just was found today in the Ipswich River.
Today we have another round of gusty thunderstorms coming thru, but at least it's moving fast.

It'll certainly be remembered in this state as one of the worst floods.

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

I knew all the places you mentioned, and had a warm spot in my stomach for the Friendly's... it made me think of the great ice cream and food they have (and how much I do miss that!)
What a mess the area is! Coverage did make it on the GMA last week, and they even did an interview with Mitt Romney, but that's about all I've been able to see of TV in the last few days.

I'm glad to hear that everyone you know is well and out of real harms way... but this is frightening nonetheless. I wonder how Manchester, NH is faring, because the Merrimack River runs right through that city, and I have heard that it was another river that they were keeping an eye on.

Geez.... wouldn't you just know it, this past week and weekend I am up to my eyeballs in work and I don't even have time to call any of my folks to see how they are doing.

I still can't get to comment over at MB's as the field doesn't open far enough for me to do so.... but please let her know that I have been coming over to read anyway.
Seems like she has her hands full between the weather and Evan being sick.

Hope you are ok still... especially being one week away from the mass invasion known as Memorial Day in your part of the woods.

 
At 1:04 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Ellen, I don't know if the rain was near Manchester, but heard places near Hudson n Nashua had probs (school there was cancelled).

I knew you were goin full steam ahead with all the weddings n grads. Soundz exhausting, hope you're taking care of yourself!

If you use the Mozilla (free) browser MB's site should open, (IE or) Internet Explorer isin't working there on mine either, so I open Mozilla just for that!


I'm trying my best to enjoy the week before my rest is interrupted for the remainder of the warm season... thanks.

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Jinsane said...

Wow - those are some crazy pictures! We had a terrible flood like that back in 1996! I'll never forget it! I sure hope the towns bounce back quickly. Mother Nature can be one fierce mama!!

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - Damn! Nasty! Invest in a boat quick!!!

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

 
At 1:14 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Jen, the pics I chose for this post show the hieght of the water at it's worst point. According to MB n other news, it did subside by the end of the week. Clean-up will be ongoing, though. There's no way to stop a wall of water...

Neo, I used to work on boats n outboards years ago. I helped some one build a wooden sailboat once. I'm darn good at canoeing n row-boats also. Had some rubber-boats awhile back, n don't have one now. (How do you put a cat in a rubber raft?... Very carefully!)
I'm an excellent swimmer, n can tread water for hours. I'd borrow a dingy at the ramp if I had to. Besides, I live on a hill!
Someday I might have bux for a boat... not now tho- (Don't worry)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home