Thursday, June 08, 2006

Local Flood

I hope everyone made it through the evil-number-Damien-day unscathed. I almost was tempted to post on it, but the media already seemed saturated with the movie promo. I saw the original movie way back, not the new one. It's Just another day after all...
...
Thought I'd drop in a quick one to report that even though we just got another 5-8 inches of rain (n a rare spring Nor'Easter) today in Eastern MA - in my town (second big rain-storm this week) ,
I haven't floated away yet, n the way to work wasn't badly washed out (darn, I made it to work). n I had to close the windows again cause the temps are back down into the low 50's (F).
...
When I left for work I noticed the road next to the boat ramp was baricaded n police were parked across the road. I couldn't tell what was up, though, n didn't have time to check it out.
Had to wait til I saw the late news at 2:30 am to find out the trailer park over there (about 1000 feet away from my house) got 3 feet of flooding in the low spots after getting approx. 8 inches of rain. It's a bowl-shaped topography in there. At least the homes are up on blocks, without basements.
They used a fire truck to pump the area out, saving about 10 of the homes. Saw a few neighbors who're always walking the doggies by on the news, too!
...
That park hasn't had that much water in it since '91 after Hurricane Bob...
...
But I am fine, n really glad I didn't move over there when it was cheap n I was tempted...
...
Maybe I really should get a boat... !

9 Comments:

At 9:04 AM, Blogger X said...

Glad you didn't get flooded! :)

And yeah, the media went a little nuts on thw 06.06.06 thing. I guess I'm not superstitious enough to thing a date will curse you. LOL, I believe it's more that people will be the bane of your existance :)

 
At 3:51 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

OilF, me too... but it's still raining, those poor people!
I just keep remembering that people, who ARE sometimes the problem with my world, invented the Gregorian calender system the evil numbers are based on!

Plus the date was really:
06-06-2006, which helped me feel better...

 
At 4:30 AM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - Wow, you guys just can't catch a break up there. A nor'easter this time of year is just plain weird. I'm starting to get a little worried about this Hurricane season. I'm hearing news about tropical storms already. Geez, Mother Nature is just plain pissed.

I think you're right boat sales should be doing a killing up there about now.

Have a great weekend.

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

Well, I need to call the Weather Channel and tell them to pay a little more attention to your part of the US. They said that you were expecting 80 degree weather!

Believe it or not, these were the same people who ordered catering through me one year, and wanted to know what the back-out time was if it rained. I told them at least 3 days, and they said, "Well what if rains at the last minute?" (They were planning an outdoor picnic). I said, "Well, YOU ARE The Weather Channel, wouldn't you know that better than me?" Silly gooses!

So glad that Divine Providence stepped in on your decision to not move into the trailer park. You truly have more pull with all your good karma!

As for the 6/6/6 thing.... I didn't even think about it until the end of the day.... completely forgetting the significance. Just think, next year will be the "lucky 7's"... but I'll probably space that out as well...

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Caught ya all off guard with a mid-week post, didn't I?

Neo, The locals are goin nuts with lost sales due to bad weather, n some marinas n out-door eating spots are just getting back to workable! The boater's aren't gettin much safe small-craft weather in, either! rain-gear all the way-
"Normal has ceased to exist until further notice!" That's a T-shirt design I made...

Ellen, My window thermometer reads 59 degrees F (right now at about 6 pm). What tropical air? It was very humid yesterday, (fog) but cool enough for the hoodie outside in the pouring rain.
Mem-day was the only 70-80 day we've had here so far! Maybe someone did inland, but not Eastern MA-

Ya know ya can never trust the NE weather Reports... here they've revised back to the bleak n 50's every day last week, because they try to be optimistic til they have to say it'll be worse...

That was funny, the weather Channel should know! lol!

If you were workin this stretch of the woods, all the outside plans since Mem-day would've been scraped! Been wet the whole time!

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Milk Brain said...

done' you still have that marlboro canoe soemwhere, or did it get ruined in the shed?

glad to hear you made it through okay... we woke up to sun today! (sunday).. but it has clouded over.. can't complain atleast it's not raining. al roker said on friday that boston has had a record breaking 18+ inches of rain in the past 39 days (as of that friday) i am not surprised... and it was down right cold last night.. had to break out our jackets to go outside to play with evan!

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

I didn't get that send-away kayak (Bruce did), I just have little, plastic oars that used to go to the rubber rafts, which died long ago. I have nothing in the shed anymore, (it's too moldy in there) it's all in storage or in the backroom now.
I do have the blow-up mattresses for camping tho...(note I'd have to put the cats in the kitty-carrier for blow-up anything)!

Ya it's an all-time rain record in many places in MA for May-June (n only the second week)!
We had Sunshine until about noon (but I was tryin to snooze)...
Was cool out today too. Low 60's I think-

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - Cool slogan! Hopefully that new storm doesn't decide to head up to the Northeast. You really don't need anymore rain right now.

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

 
At 1:55 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo, thanks, that's only half of it- you should see the type map pic design of how it's written...
type illustrating the theme-

 

Post a Comment

<< Home