Saturday, November 19, 2005

Gamma Rays

Tropical storm Gamma is the 24th named depression on the boards, more than ever before in all recorded weather history. Currently Gamma has 45 mph winds down near the Yucatan penninsula, is turning north, and it may head to the Miami Florida area as a hurricane by Monday! That's 2 days away...In Honduras two people were reported killed by Gamma.
Only another 10 days to hurricane season left, but as ya know, the tornadoes have been acting outside their season this month... NOAA

I wonder what'll happen with the naming method if the Greek alphabet gets used up n next year we have this many storms to name again... How about Chinese?

The food industry's been using Gamma-radiation to irradiate the germs off the fresh produce we buy at the market the past year or so.

I saw a NightLine News show on ABC 11/19/05 about New Orleans after Katrina to date. Engineers have yet to do permanent repairs on the levees so they still can't currently withstand storms. The Mayor was asking for a disaster extention, because once it's up funding will fall on the state's back and possibly cost each citizen of LA $1000 bux each to pay for the repairs. It'll be many more moons before the place gets halfway back, maybe decades at this rate. Garbage disposal of debris was said to probably take three years at the current rate of action. That's a long recovery road to take! Personally, I'd never want go back until those levees are secure! Why build up just to lose it again?

On the Katrina theme I found an article at thebostonchannel.com that Katrina has led to some new conversational sayings in the area which already had a few unusual phrases. They used to say hi with "Where y'at?" Now it's, "How's ya' house?" From pics I saw on the news last pm, looks like most of the houses are still wrecks n junk-heaps!

Now in that emotionally heated partisan debate , Rep. John Murtha, D-Pa. who's a Vietnam vet and, proposed that troops return home at the soonest possible opportunity. Aka, let's plan an exit stategy...to which Republicans responded with a resolution for an immediate pullout of the 160,000 US troops now in Iraq. Defeated... no surprise! Does any of this make sense? Why would the house of Reps even think they should waste time debating this....

Meanwhile, tomorrow I'm lookin forward to some warmer over 45 degree sunshine to lure me outdoors, n a dinner out plan.

16 Comments:

At 8:07 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

Another storm... just what the poor state of Florida needed.
Who'd hve thought we get as far as Gamma on the name scale?
And those poor folks in the Gulf...
I look at those circumstances and thank God I am so fortunate to have a roof over my head and bed to sleep on every night.

As far as the debate.... I guess they feel they have to justify their existance, don't they....
only too sad we see nothing really coming out of it but bi-particism.
Our government doesn't look to "united" lately.

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Ellen,
Is is so weather strange this year, we're all lucky our areas have been spared the storms with so many that could've but didn't head our way!
I think the government's beginning to too closely resemble the ineffective senate (and Emperor= Prez-B) in "Star Wars" when they had to call a vote of "no confidence." I certainly have little faith they can do what the country needs them to! They've been pretty stupid lately!

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

Snaggle- I was thinking that GWB resembled the "emperor who wore no clothes".... but star wars is a good analogy.
It's too bad, as we are beginning to look like fools to the rest of the world... why would they want to fashion their countries like us if we can't even pull it together for ourselves?

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

I think we really have to start holding the executive adminstration responsible for letting the coutry n system out of wack...
How we'll get ourselves back in gear forward is anyone's guess!

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

Amen, sister!

How we will get it all back on track is anybody's guess. I was watching Rumsfield on Face the Nation this AM... and he's in Bush's pocket for sure... pretty scary stuff. I'm sure if more of the Senators, etc. had children in Iraq, things would be so different.

Sometimes I think it's more that they need to save face, even though they tell us they're trying to restore some type of government to Iraq. But then the terrorists there are looking no better when they suicide bomb their own people.
What a world, huh?

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Milk Brain said...

i agree... this country is getting way out of hand and something needs to be done.. soon.

but i would just like to add on teh track of star wars that the other day i saw a bumper sticker that said "palpatine/cheney '08" and there was something small written which i couldn't really read but it was somthing like for a safe and secure empire... or somthing

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Ellen,
Ya I saw Don Rumsfield on 2 sep networks shows this Sun am, (George Stephanoplis n Tim Russert MTN) n he said exactly the same thing twice in a row, (sic)"If ya put yourself in the place of---..." so rehearsed, no real answers to the diff questions, just the R-conservative Secretary of Defense PR puppet for sure!

MB, I think Palpatine would do a better job than Prez-B! But Cheney's gotta go too! He's makin money off the war n the hurricanes! It's more than a slight conflict of interest there...

I'm tryin to spend less time onLine today, in case people are tryin to call...

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag -I'm sorry I was a bit lazy over the weekend to look and post. Ya know how it is.

I saw the debate on cspan, I even posted about it. Murtha is a good guy. And I give him props for getting the ball rolling. Of course we can't pull out yet, but we need a plan to do so.

As for Gamma, I'm not too worried about it. When it hit some cold air it should get knocked down pretty quick.

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo,
I know why ya were out of it for a bit there... a wonder your not still wasted...!
Ya, I agree Murtha is bringing up what needs to be done about an exit plan. He was also on the Tim Russert show, and has very good motives n ideas. He did a good job defending his actions in the senate, which the republicans turned into a sideshow to mess it up...
The storm is fallin to pieces today. I'm just wonderin what we do about the name system if we pass 21 again...

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Oh ya, Neo, I did see your post about it, n saw much coverage. I also read about him days ago on JurassicPork's blog.

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag -He's a no nonsense guy. I loved seeing him speak on that debate the other day. Hardcore dude!

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger Neo said...

PS I'm guessing they'll start the alphabet over next time when it comes to naming.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo, it's a shame Murtha wasn't taken seriously. About storms, wonder if they'll be a Theta! Tues, n still 50 degrees here, very warm...

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

Wow! 50 degrees? We are colder than that... but mostly because Gamma dissipated her winds our way.
We had unbelievable gusty winds and cold temps all last night. I was losing limbs from trees all over the place.

Something did knock out my e-mail, as all my "replys" keep coming back from mail administrator as undeliverable. ???? No idea why...
Even when I tried to e-mail direct, that didn't work...
Guess it's back to the drawing board to see if I forgot to do something right.

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

Just to let you know... still having problems with e-mails to anything out of state... once again "mail delivery error" comes up. Yep- so frustrating!!!

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Ellen, I did get Tues re!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home