Thursday, July 21, 2016

SunFlower

Image by SnaggleTooth July 2016

Last week I didn't get to water the garden twice, but I managed to this week. The hot sun n lack of rain in Eastern MA is making it difficult to keep the crops going. Most noticeably my container bush tomato is wilted every time I get back there. At least it hasn't lost any green tomatoes yet.

Image by SnaggleTooth July 2016

I ate a beautiful Zucchini for dinner last night, the first container one I ever had success with. Yep, in a Smart Pot n behind chicken wire. Last week I finally got to eat some green beans n peas too. Probably I'll pick the first cuke when I get home. It has a weird, gourd shape.

Image by SnaggleTooth July 2016

The garden has been so much work this year, with parts disappearing overnight. This week the row of onions are suddenly missing! Plus Many weeds are taking over n I'm out of time to keep getting them out.

Image by SnaggleTooth July 2016

I rescued a large Bumble Bee doing the breast stroke in my water bucket pouring it gently on the late, ground-planted tomatoes, n he did seem very grateful. Bees always have a tough time in droughts.

Image by SnaggleTooth July 2016

I'm having a tough time keeping up with everything. No time for much besides chores n  garden. I'm away from the house most of the time, going earlier to work now, n relaxing so little. Work is crazy almost every day, but somehow I still do all that moving of food stuff. It will take me some time to recover from this very busy season, n this past year of different living conditions.

Image by SnaggleTooth July 2016

Been watching the "Divergent" movie series this week. I had the first dvd here, then found the second."Insurgent" at the library last week. I found the last, "Allegiant," at the store this week- Yay!


Image by SnaggleTooth July 2016


Image by SnaggleTooth July 2016


Image by SnaggleTooth July 2016

Image by SnaggleTooth July 2016

Image by SnaggleTooth July 2016

I got a little, potted Sunflower for the windowsill for $2 last week. Already the heat n room conditions are withering it, but it would get eaten fast by critters for certain if put outside here. I wonder if the secondary flower buds would bloom if I cut the main one off, or if it would just die  anyways- This room has been tough to live in for most of the plants, (n me too).

Photo by SnaggleTooth July 2016


Now back to blog browsing, then getting outside for a walk...

4 Comments:

At 4:07 PM, Blogger Tabor said...

If possible you should plant that lovely sunflower in a larger pot. I may go buy some tomorrow. I LOVE sunflowers and most of my plants get eaten when I plant by seed.

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

I love sunflowers, too. I wonder if deer or rabbits could be eating your plants?

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger LL Cool Joe said...

Sunflowers are beautiful.
So who would have eaten the onions?? That must be frustrating.

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Tabor, All my planted ones get dried up or eaten too- but there's a volunteer under the bird-feeder out front.

Lynn, I'm pretty sure it's rabbits or rodents, as I haven't seen any hoof-prints near the fence. Then there are grass-hoppers, caterpillars, n slugs. I put out ant traps.

LLcoolJ, Yep, they are cool. Wish I had time to paint a few for my niece who loves them. Probably the skunk, I think! Yep, I miss the easy deck garden... Thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home