Friday, October 24, 2014

Captive Audience

Image by SnaggleTooth Oct 2014
The past few weeks for two days per week I've been listening to a radio with ear-buds at work. I had a $10 coupon for Radio Shack located nearby so got a small, digital very inexpensively. It's been about a decade since I've heard public radio on a regular basis.

There were portable, "Boom Box" radios blasting when I took the current job. Funny how I used to resent listening to other folks preferred choices before I recently started to miss having any music in my day.

At work there's been no music allowed for several years now. when a certain manager is in charge, so on his Days Off for the longest time I'd been watching everyone else with music sets without joining in. I think the monotonous stuff I do is about 20 times easier with tunes to move with. 

Photo by SnaggleTooth
I've made a few observations. There is only one station  that comes in at my workstation. 102 FM. "Classic hits all the Time." Almost all the same tunes used from the oldies were the same ones I heard on WROR growing up as current hits. 

Elton John seems to have cornered a market in Radio-Land. I wonder if he signed away his royalty rights to "Tiny Dancer," because it plays everyday, several times. I'm also getting pretty tired of hearing the Eagles constantly. I seem to have purchased cassettes or CDs of most of these hits in my distant past too. 

Some one I know working at a Cape Hospital said 102 FM is the only station they get to hear at work there. So I'm not the only captive audience. 

Image by SnaggleTooth Oct 2014
Altho I dislike not having music to work with most of my week, at least I don't get utterly sick of it, as I tend too when you're stuck with easy-listening piped in stuff. I recall one very long elevator ride in Boston awhile back to the 32 nd floor, stuck with orchestrated Beatles- without vocals! For me, that's the worst thing ever...

Are you captive to radio music sometimes, or do you get to choose with an ipod / mp3 player?

...............
(Too much lightening to go online at all last night, had alot of NorEaster rain here, n flooded roads today. TG it was my Day Off, without pressing errands.)

11 Comments:

At 8:44 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

I listen to NPR through my computer and its speakers in my cubicle at work and keep it turned down low enough so it doesn't bother anyone else. They play classical from 9am to 3pm, which is nice.

It's true - everything is better with music. I love listening to music at home when I cook anything that takes longer than 10 minutes. :)

And those "classic hits" stations do seem to focus on Elton John and The Eagles. I agree! But I like the thought of you having some entertainment while you work.

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger Tabor said...

I am a big NPR fan and also like a limited amount of actual classic music. I also like silence sometimes.

 
At 5:16 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

When the music is turned on, so am I:) My own choice of music and certainly NOT elevator music. Glad you got the ear-buds.

 
At 5:30 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

I just read CUBE's post and she is on the same subject. Here is a link she provided: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/11179017/This-is-the-kind-of-music-you-should-listen-to-at-work.html#

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger G. B. Miller said...

When I have to do seriously monotonous stuff, I would listen to the radio. Because of the weird reception I get in my cube, I keep it locked on one college station.

When I want to change up, I listen to c.d.'s, although the ones I have in my cube have gotten long in the tooth. I really need to bring a few of my c.d.'s back to work.


Father Nature's Corner

 
At 5:53 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Lynn, I'll have to look for that station. Music really helps waiting, n my mood in general. I seem to know 99% of the Classics. All the words, tunes, n some guitar chords too... Music at work day coming up today- Yay

Tabor, I've just done years of silence, except for loud machine n engine noises at work. It helps my ears stop ringing too!

Gran Annie, Now I hate when I can't listen at work, because it spoils me!

Gran Annie, How strange she picked the subject now! I've only had the radio since Labor Day.

GB, I can't believe I went so long without broadcast tunes! During errands I can get in better stations like BRU with some programs From Boston College. Sometimes Oldies do get old tho-

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger TALON said...

I always have a radio on in the background (thankfully there are plenty to choose from) and when I'm really working, I put on my headphones and turn on my ipod (a gift from my kids and the most fun with music I've had since the day of purchasing 45's as a pre-teen). I love when I can hear music that suits my mood and the radio, unfortunately, doesn't often hit the right note. The worst music is that piped-in, syrupy stuff you mention. It's just bizarre!

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Talon, I have times music interferes with my concentration when doing projects, or accounting. But at work I'm bored easily with out it. Choosing preferred, familiar music is a good mood enhancement. But I like learning new songs never heard too. Sometimes I feel I know every oldie out there!

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

I listen to the rain when it's raining, and the sun when it's sunning, to the background of parakeet song, and that's about it. :) No, but seriously, I had no radio in my car for 2 years, no CD player in their either. And now I have a newer old car with a radio but I can't be bothered. Usually if I listen to anything at all it will be my song ideas, on Kelly's old iPhone via earbuds, mostly as I fall asleep.

I know what you mean on that piped in instrumental music. usially annoying!! And sometimes just so cheesy you have to laugh.

AWESOME on your earbuds!!

xooxoxox

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Erica B said...

I tend to listen to podcasts and audiobooks these days. radio listening when the kids are in the car only. Podcasts through my phone, and audiobooks through my mp3 player. I listen mostly when I drive or am working at my computer at work. Although I have been listening to some music at work recently. One of my favorite indie band/duos The Doublclicks, Unwoman who is just phenomonal. I discovered her as she opened at the Doubleclicks concert I recently went to. And also I have been listening to Taylor Davis who I discovered on the internet a few years back. Shes a phenomenal violinist who plays covers of songs from Video games and movies. She scores them herself and sometimes has others play with her. She has a whole album that is music from the LEgend of Zelda Ocarina of Time and I just love it. All of these folks's music can be streamed free trhough spotify if you use that.

Also I listen to comedy. Some of my favorites right now: Chris Hardwick & Jackie Kashian. I have others too, but you may not have heard of these too. Nerdy AND funny. also available on spotify.

(spotify might be really hard on dial up though :( )

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Jannie, I went thru a very long no radio music time, but really it does help not getting very bored sometimes.
Music actually keeps me from sleeping, as I always pay attention to it.
Mostly I feel tortured when Rock n Roll is mutilated...
Earbuds are also keeping my ears warm!

MB, It can be an adventure learning what your kids are into. it'll happen to you too. Thanks for all the tips of who n where to check out.
I haven't done any music on this machine yet, just have had zero fun time. Hope to at some point soon tho-

Just got up, need to head to work again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home