Friday, January 11, 2008

Duck Duck Geese

Swimming across from me in the smooth saltwater were six Canadian geese last Sunday afternoon. They were too loud not to notice. I was taking pics n they were too far away to capture well. They appear microscopically invisible in the reflection shots I took.
Small groups of geese stop to visit the saltmarsh here on their migration pathways. You can hear "gonking" echo up the hill to my house often, almost daily.
...Photo by SnaggleTooth 2008 (No zoom)
The geese sounded like they were argueing about something the whole time I was framing shots. The sun broke through for just a second, low on the horizon behind me, before hiding back under the multi-layered, broken clouds.
To my surprize, the large birds splashed n fluttered, suddenly moving straight at me, n then took off, flying just a few feet over my head! I've mentioned on ESR several times, most wild animals don't seem to be afraid of me.
...
I scrambled to try to get them in the viewfinder of my digicam, but they were much quicker than me. I'm not very used to the viewer on the new cam yet. They were too close to get in the overhead position, but I finally got one beside me in the viewer. Then only got one more shot off of them heading to the South of the bright spot in the clouds. They sure flew fast!
Photo by SnaggleTooth 2008...
They must have been debating what direction to head out in, n had been out there swimming in circles awhile. The second they saw the bright light, they knew where the sun was n took immediate action.
...
I sense a direct analogy to my personal philosophy...
...same pic cropped
Often finding the right direction to continue progress going forward where you seek to go in your life, you need to be sure of your direction. So relax while you find your bearings, because it'll be full speed ahead once the light points you the right way...
(Note: Of course, going the wrong way is all wasted energy)!

... ... ...
Subject: This is helpful?
...
Today's annoying network TV commercial:
* On the news at 11:
"How to make yourself happy"
(Note: I didn't watch it)
...
SnaggleTooth's wiseguy answer:
1. Lower your expectations
2. Lower them even more... expect nothing!
3. Then anything you get seems good!
4. Instead of working to get what I think I want, I tend to be happier avoiding what I know I don't want.

2 Comments:

At 12:27 PM, Blogger Shelley said...

Its not getting what you want, its wanting what you got.

Hey, great goose shots!

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Xray, I don't as a rule want what I've got, or even know what I want! But because it could be much worse, I'm greatful-
Thanks (I was really close to the birds).
That hole in their formation is where I was standing while they whooshed past me... It felt awesome!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home