Saturday, October 27, 2007

Rocky Mountain High

Photo by Snaggletooth 2007
...
...
...
Let's see what the mile-high altitude does to the Sox's winning attitude.
...
A miracle seems to have occurred, allowing me the second Saturday I've had off of work since a year ago last June! I even get to watch game three of the series between Boston n the Rockies. (Of course the trade-off is I get to work on Halloween evening instead).
...
Every time I hear "Rocky Mountains" I automatically remember a favorite songwriter of my youth, John Denver. I'll always love his music, n the pleasant attitude most of his music conveyed. He wrote songs of love n joy like "Annie's Song" n "Country Roads Take Me Home." His song "Lady" was played on guitar at my wedding in the 70's (note: the marriage didn't last, but the song did).
...
I can still play many of his tunes after learning them in my teens. His "folk tunes" inspired me to write on many occassions n motovated me to keep up finger-picking practice. I'll never forget seeing his TV guest appearances over the years, especially "The Muppet Show" episodes I watched with my kids in the 80's. His consistant work earned my respect.
...
Back when I traveled about every Saturday night with my musician friends, I often hung out with a groupie woman named Annie, ironically, who was asked to a large dinner once where Mr. John Denver would be in attendance. After mulling it over for a few weeks, she decided she wasn't interested in attending, because he wasn't that big of a deal she should give up a free night for. She'd rather go do something else that night.
...
Mark, the keyboard/mandolinist, n I expressed dismay that she spoke of him in those terms. We both cringed at her words. Both of us would've cut-off a leg for that opportunity she'd poo-poo'd so easily. Part of us as musicians wouldn't exist without John Denver's influence. I certainly would've enjoyed meeting him in person, n hoped to get to share some original harmony music with him.
...
Just a few weeks after this dinner Annie blew off, John tragically lost his life in an airplane accident October 13, 1997. I'd never get my chance to get to know him in person. I still bemoan this lost opportunty. I quit spending time with that stuck-up girl.
...
It goes to show you never know what fate will deal out. You should never dismiss people or chances, because life isin't guaranteed n can be unpredictably too short.
...
Almost as unpredictable as a Red Sox Game in Colorado with National League rules, with no DH, No Kevin Youkilis, n the pitcher Diasuke in the batting line-up. I couldn't have predicted before yesterday I'd even get to see the game. But I won't blow off the chance, either!
...
So here it goes, it's anyone's game!
(I won't be answering calls)

5 Comments:

At 8:58 AM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - I had a similar thing happen when Nirvana came by philly quite a few years before Kurt's death. They were playing a show at the Armory but the tickets were a bit too much at the time. I had one of those "If only," moments now in hindsight of wondering what it would have been like to experience that music first hand in person. I guess we'll never know right?

As for the sox, I bet the people out in Boston are already planning that parade route. And I thought the Rockies were going to actually make a series out of it. You know at least go down with a bit of pride eh?

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger Shelley said...

Go sox

 
At 11:49 PM, Blogger Kim VanDerHoek said...

As soon as I saw the title of your post John Denver's song popped into my head. His songs bring back a lot of childhood memories. I would have enjoyed meeting him as well.

 
At 2:40 AM, Blogger David Edward said...

congrats to you, and to your Sox.
made mince meat out of the Rockies.
NO more baseball til spring. boo hoo

 
At 3:41 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo, sometimes my "what if's" get me steamed, this is one of those.
Apparently we Sox fans are riding pretty high in Mile-high!
Can't believe the sweep-factor!

Xray, thanks, it worked! I didn't even pray for it this time!

VanArt, Thanks for stopping in, good to see there are still some who remember and give him credit.

David, I'm so glad they did it, but so depressed I didn't get to watch the final game, as you know! Thanks

...
Hey did everyone notice my shadow waving "Hi" on the rock to the right in my pic?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home