Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Museum Pieces

~Yawn*... It's been warm n rainy all day. Stayin up all night doesn't help either, need more zz's... Hope I can stay awake for LOST! Really should just keep reading, but the eyes are red, already!

I don't usually dwell on memories, but ok, I'm bored, so here goes a strange tale from days long gone...

I've been making artfull, creative projects my whole life. What I really hate is getting back the things I did after the person's passed beyond life. I have a crateful from my parents house, n can't bring myself to sell any of it...
...
One of my more original early home-made gifts was crafted on a visit to Winooski Vermont, to my maternal Nanny's house, when I was about seven years old. The only toys in the place were plain, wooden blocks, which got boring after all towers were wrecked by the siblings everytime you made one. The only other activity besides walking through the parking lot was two-channel TV which my Dad took over. I did watch a ton of old "Star Trek" shows there over the years...
I was often beyond bored....

Nanny had a few sewing scraps hanging around, n I learned how to hand-sew early, mending n hemming. I took a scrap of pretty, metalic-peach fabric, n embroidered "NANNY" on it. It was kinda scrunchy, so needed to be stretched. Supplies were extemely limited... I looked around for awhile, then had a bright idea! I liked it!
I stretched it fitting perfectly on a piece of cardboard and attached the edges with a edging stitch. I wrapped it in a piece of paper, n presented my (no occasion) gift to Nanny, whose wide, amused smile I can still see today!
She made a big fuss over it, n really, it was just a little thing....

My Grampa passed onward one Thanksgiving Day when I was twelve. Ten weeks to the day later my Nanny went to join him. Several weeks later, their house was all cleaned out.
Jump ahead to fourteen years ago, my Dad left the living, n then five years ago (yesterday), my Mom went to join Dad. When me n Big Sis were cleaning out my Mom's old dresser, we ran into the gift I'd made my Nanny all those years ago!

Saved as a special, priceless artpiece which still makes me giggle today, now safely stored in my dresser... for prosterity: an apolstered, embroidered with "NANNY" metalic-peach
empty toilet paper roll!

For the person who has everything...!

15 Comments:

At 10:11 PM, Blogger cityman05 said...

Hey, I'd love to see some of your artwork.
I really wish I could do some paintings, but I am a writer. My brother is a very good artist, but he doesn't take it seriously. He usually draws something wonderful on a napkin or envelope and I'm like, "What the heck? Why didn't you put that down on canvas?"

Awsome blog. I'll be checking back reguraly.

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Hi Cityman,
I'm an all-around artist n a writer too. I also draw and do sculpture.
I'm not puttin alot of artwork up online here cause I'm paraniod it'll get stolen. I'm also tryin to conceal my real ID somewhat, gotta be careful.
Never enough time to do all I want!
I did put up some autumn leave experimental scan pics in recent archive, normally I wouldn't put it up.

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

How sweet an idea for your Grandmother... I can almost see her smile myself!
What a delightful story! It makes me think of the things I inherited from my Mom when she passed... all to be treasured because it is now a part of my life... even if she isn't physically around.

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger Jinsane said...

I am very crafty also. It's one of my favorite hobbies, although since I've been blogging, my crafts have gone to the wayside.

P.S. Did you see Lost? I could scream...they always leave me hanging and wanting more. I guess that's the point, right?

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger cityman05 said...

How would a person go about seeing some of your work? I am very interested.

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Ellen, ya I love the things I have from my dear ones lives. I'm glad you liked my story.

Jen, Crafty is a good thing. Hafta be to do wall-paper!
I saw LOST! n feel like I want the rest of the season like now! I'm just greatful they left Sawyer alive, n I want the horse more in the plot...ect What a complete tease that show is.

CityMan, I went n found your email, will send a note soon.

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger cityman05 said...

Usually when I get crafty and creative, I get into trouble.

I once got an entire group of people at work yelled at for drawing faces on all the styrofoam coffee cups with a bottle of mustard.

The boss was like, "Who ever did this was childish and wasteful!"

I was the only one who knew who did it and I was like, "You're so right. I agree. Who would do such a hiddious thing." heehee. They were some cool faces, though.

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Ya CM, most bosses don't appreciate the cleverness or amuzement factor of finding new media to use. Mustard's pretty cheap by the ounce, but ya know he was thinking dollar signs... or maybe he thought one face was supposed to be his...!

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger David Edward said...

yo- snaggle, I love this stuff
you almost made em choke up a bit.
Tanks for dropping by, did you catch the show at Jayleigh's? dancing girls or something like that.....

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Hi David, glad you enjoyed the story, don't tell 'em that often. I haven't been to Jayla's yet recently... will make sure to get around to it soon... actually tryin to get some work done occasionally. Thanks for stoppin in again!

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag -Man, where've I been since Weds.

That's cool that you were able to make her smile like that. I'm sure it meant the world to her.

You and Morgs have something in common when it comes to Thanksgiving. I'm sure you've read her entry on her day.

You really should post some photo's of your stuff someday. I'd love to see it.

Peace!

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger Milk Brain said...

very cute story... i remember doing things all the time with toilet paper rolls... they were great for warpping small odd size presents.

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Hiya Neo, do know about the lotta catch-up on Morgs, did read it earlier. Ellen knows the feelin too. Someday I'll give a a bitty peek into my planet...

MB remember when we used to help paper-wrap hard candy in 'em after thanx dinner for that charity - hundreds! that's alotta non-wasted tubes...

 
At 3:19 AM, Blogger Using up the words.... said...

Snag ~ That's such a gorgeous story! I've got a few things like that from when my grandparents both died.... that my mum has now. Was actually thinking I should get my first serious embroidery effort framed, which was given to me by my granny, and then I gave back to her when it was all finished. One of these days. They are certainly treasures... and part of the heart.

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Hiya Using Up the Words, Ya do treasure the early efforts in adult-hood. It's amazing how clear the item brings the memory back clear as yesterday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home