Sunday, September 18, 2022

Super Duper

Image manipulated by SnaggleTooth 2022

First, I was exposed to Superman stories through the old DC comic books my brothers left in the attic, and the old black & white TV show starring George Reeves. 
Christopher Reeves flew over for 4 films which I watched on VHS before released to TV. My parents loved those movies with Margo Kidder as Lois.

The next Super guy, Henry Cavill, was brought to my attention by a co-worker who was getting Blockbuster bluerays on subscription and giving me the regular dvds. Henry did a bang up job as the Man of Steel in these more modern films, all seen on dvd and now playing on TNT as I am writing. Crossover films with Batman and Wonder Woman are faves too (Batman vs Superman, Justice League).

 I never did see Superman Returns, much of Smallville, and zero of Superman and Lois. 

The past few weeks I rented the SYFY dvds for a prequel series, Krypton. It takes place 200 years before Superman is born on the planet he was sent from.
I had never heard of it, but saw it at the library and knew I was interested.
It aired in 2018 and '19, only 2 seasons, and I lament, left the story continuation incomplete. 

The plot was very twisty, and included characters Adam Strange and General Zod going back in time to Krypton, Adam wanting to be sure Superman was sent to Earth, and Zod to prevent Krypton's impending doom. Without giving too much away here...

Other villains are mixed in to confuse the story of Kal El's grandfather, Seg El and Great-grandfather, Val El, making lovely plot chaos in the works.  Leaders are overthrown, Law keepers, Sagitari,  turned into rebels, and multible war conflicts arise.
Other alien races come after the characters and planet too. Most notably, "Brainiac," the collector of worlds, posing as a religious leader, then becoming a parasite, who proves indestructible. 
There is so much killing and gorey stuff  going on in this story, it is amazing there are any Kryptonians left!

I would really like to see the part about how Krypton got to its breaking point, and if that happens or not as affected by the time tampering. Also, Cor El, (later Jor-El), the infant is taken off-world by Brainiac, and the story stops right where the Mother character is tracking him down.

FireFly finished its series story up with the movie "Serenity", when producers were finally convinced it would be a hit due to the huge, loyal audience base. 

I haven't heard about any fans rallying to get back to the Krypton Series. What a shame. Maybe there is a way to find relevant comic book continuation to figure out where the story goes, but much was invented for the series. 

You would think with generations of Superman theme media fans, there would be more interest in the story they were doing. But the plot was too complex perhaps for fans  to follow. 
Meanwhile, I'll just have to guess on the possibilities, until the rest can be visualized, maybe someday... Or be lost forever in the planet of Cancelled without Conclusion Stories.

2 Comments:

At 7:04 AM, Blogger LL Cool Joe said...

Hey great to see you blogging again and I'm so pleased you got your eyesight sorted out, that must feel wonderful. Thanks for visiting my blog, I was so pleased to see you again.

 
At 3:04 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Hi Joe, it is great to see and read again, and have working devices . If only I could catch up on all I missed . Good to see you still here as well. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home