Friday, September 09, 2022

McShivers


 Recently I read in the " ClanLands " book,  the actor guys ( Sam Heughan and Graham Mctavish )  went in a kayak to explore an island in Loch Leven used solely for burial, the Isle of Covenant or Ratification, (after the Battle of Glencoe in 1692). 

As the sunset pretty over the countless ancient gravestones from many slaughters, they notice one in particular which is quoted: 

" My glass has run.

Yours is running 

Be wise in time

Your hour is coming "


Shivers !

...........

This sparked a long ago memory from my teenage-hood, which Joan , Alison, and Jimmy may remember. ( Was Teresa on that ride ? My memory is not perfect after all those late teen parties...) 

We went on a 22 mile bike ride to Lexington and Concord MA from Newtonville. ( Nowadays my daughter, over 40 years old does that distance all the time, thinking nothing of it. ) 

But back then we didn't have the best bikes, and city traffic made it treacherous. We were kind of out of shape for all that exercise, even though we danced a lot, not something we often tried. 

Across from the town green where we stopped before heading back, we saw ancient headstones in a graveyard across the road near a church. 

We went over and looked at the markings from American Revolution times, remarking at names, young ages, and thoughtful inscriptions. 

One headstone was so buried by dirt and thick grass that it was unreadable. So we got down on knees and set to clear it up to be readable.

Once cleared,  we got the Heebee Geebees reading:

"As you peer over my grave to see, Remember you must follow me."

And ran away screeching ...


An inscription forever etched in my brain.

 And so far, we are all fortunate to have lasted this long...

2 Comments:

At 9:36 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

I have left my blog for a while but might return now that you are here again. I just got the audio-book CLANSLAND thanks to your recommendation.

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Gran Annie, I had noticed your 2 weeks were up. I have been MIA for years , due to eyes and lapsed technology. Then I lacked motivation. Been getting more rest and more time, and almost ready for guitar again, hopefully.

But on the bright side, all my old 9/11 posts are cued up for tomorrow...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home