Sunday, September 11, 2022

911 21 Years Later


On the NECN news yesterday a guy did a piece on how most asked millennials now don't even remember what we are supposed to never forget. Sad...

My generation, part of the Boomers, never forgets about JFK, Elvis, John Lennon, or the Challenger events... Somehow, living through experiencing that news trauma engrains indelibly on our soul a gut-wrenching loss feeling easy to conjure back upon hearing the subject again. 

911 was the biggest one day loss of life between 4 crash sites and impacting 5 locations (including Boston , where the planes took off), ever before in the USA due to a co-ordinated attack by terrorists. 

Agencies and US citizens had become very complacent in freely flying about the country. If something needed to be stopped, no one realized the extent of the damage that could possibly be inflicted with how things were done then.

Certain places and groups will forever be dedicated to remembering the lost souls. 

I will always pay tribute to them, lives blotted out early, disrupting family and friends of the 2,996 people who paid for that complacency. 

I fear many of the young here have again become complacent about being careful with so many lives. 

They worry more about an unbalanced person attacking with a gun at school, or public places, shootings that now are almost daily happenings all around the country. Someone has a bad day and takes it out on those around them, then suicides them self.

The young brush it off, it didn't happen to them. If they didn't know someone affected, why get worried or upset about it? Don't get your knickers in a twist.

We seem to be living in a culture of beautiful funerals, where it is now normal for this to be expected.

Living through the 911 tragedy in 2001 affected every single witness, whether there or on TV. Some more than others. 

I heard how my old classmate, who was a NY police officer, attended HUNDREDS of funerals for the fallen first responders. Some people I know lost friends they grew up with. My sister's bbf lost a son to cancer he got from volunteering to clean up ground zero. Losses were not contained just to immediate victims.

 Many lives were changed forever, physically and internally. It affected me. I had not been paying attention to news at all. After the event, I spent 3 days straight watching news reports to ingest what happened while I was at work that day. It woke me up. Pay attention!

Always think of how things can be safer. Question actions of authorities. Improve what can be. Somehow... Remain free.

5 Comments:

At 12:34 PM, Blogger Tabor said...

WE have become numb to mass deaths. Maybe it is a survival technique?

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger G. B. Miller said...

I agree we've become more complacent about things, and yes, numb to the amount of senseless deaths as well. Personally, I think we've come full circle in the way that now certain types of people/culture have now become verboten to speak ill of less we "offend" them. Very very sad.

 
At 2:10 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Tabor, denial is definitely a defensive technique we need to continue functioning sometimes. That is how ptsd happens, the brain has to be reminded to recall and react to the trauma . Vigilance can be tough to maintain a long time, too. The young just seem clueless why we care.

G.B., that's correct, no one is allowed to offend anymore, or will get attacked for it, or making a stand on a belief too!
Freedom as it was no longer exists.

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

It is easy to see that the media searches the world for the words mass killings and makes those stories headlines. I am so happy to see you back and as hard as I try, I cannot add you to my roller blog sidebar.

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Gran Annie, they have really made the new fangled interfaces difficult for old- timers!

I am considering making an ESR 2 on the "secure " heading. but yes, would give up the html control like sidebar links I have now.
If this is so insecure, why has it never been messed with since 2005, apart from a few spam comments? I don't like any of the new crap, including my phone and laptop. going nuts here.
It won't even let me upload pics, my photos from old ESR here! ugh.
New isn't always better...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home