Friday, September 22, 2017

Wet Behind the Dunes



After writing my post n playing with pics to put on, I got up just in time to make it to the Library. But when I arrived there, it was closed due to a power outage. I don't want to wait another week, so I am again attempting the slow way to blog post on my little tablet... Here it it:

I hope to get to comment on your blogs next library visit, tho I am reading it! 

The  Jose rains we are enduring on the Cape this week pale in comparison to what the other storm folks have dealt with recently.

There was a huge puddle in the supermarket parking lot when I was there. Plenty more rain to deal with the rest of the week, n then the Maria storm is a crap shoot up the Eastern seaboard of the USA after that.

Nantucket Island plus the outer Cape are losing eroding dunes into the sea today.

The powers of Nature are taking over the news n ruining lives. The only comfort about the overwhelming losses are the many stories of folks helping others out.

Still, since 9/11 I watch all the news in an effort not to feel clueless. I plug along to continue working when so many have lost it all already.  
So many were cheated out of income between Texas n Florida storm damages , flooding, n long-term power outages from Harvey n Irma.

This week the Mexico City Earthquake shook me up too. It was heart-breaking  watching the school rescue attempt there, knowing so many children didn't make it.

Hurricane Maria cruelly took whatever was ok after the last Irma hurricane path- away from those in Puerto Rico. I work with friends who moved here from there. They have no way to check on families n friends. Cell batteries there have no way to be recharged, n aren't near working cell towers anymore.  

My worries seem petty n my dangers insignificant. I have a roof over my head, water, food, n stuff in my room to do. I can see my family on FB, or call. These are luxuries.
I pray all these survivors find a way to recover from this stormy season, n reconnect with loved ones. May we all find ways to help n not take what we do have for granted.




Nothing is placed exactly where I wanted it today, but at least I got a text doc to copy n paste in here for the first time. Way better than no post too!... Way better than being disconnected. I feel lucky ...


4 Comments:

At 1:04 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

My niece Carla is living in Mexico City with her husband and my 8-year-old great niece now. Carla said the earthquake was scary. Fortunately my great niece goes to another school that was fine - they took them to the soccer fields until they could be put on buses home. Their house is a little damaged, but OK. They are dismayed and upset at the devastation around them.

When I read of the news of that collapsed school - I just wept. It's heartbreaking.

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Lynn, wow it must have been worrisome for you before hearing they were OK. So glad they were alright! Makes you think twice about how precious the children are n how you send them off to school n have to trust disaster will evade them, because. We really never know!

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Guess kayaking is definitely off the list of to-do's.

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo, I always wanted a canoe... but not the flooding!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home