Thursday, May 25, 2017

RE Member

Photo by SnaggleTooth 2017



Can you remember why we fight?






Have you had to stand up for it?



Image by SnaggleTooth May 2017

Defending our rights and the freedom of democracy it stands for?

Image by SnaggleTooth May 2017

 At work I this week had to stand up to a tall, young, immigrant, bully from another country, to explain that every one had a right to speak, had a right to their own opinion, n could state their opinion, whether or not others wished to hear it.


Image by SnaggleTooth May 2017

That we did not need her permission to speak. (She was not a supervisor). I was angry at how she'd just screamed at a co-worker who was part of a group of folks there at that time. All he did was make a comment in an attempt to be friendly to those around him, and to her, but she screamed at him to "shut up!" and then to me also as I defended our right to speak.

Image by SnaggleTooth May 2017

I then loudly explained to all, that when I see an injustice taking place, I had a duty to speak up! Welcome to democracy!

Photo by SnaggleTooth 2017

Then several folks in the next over work-zones answered with echoing shouts of
"God Bless America!"

It was enough to make you salute the flag...


Image by SnaggleTooth May 2017

You see, where I work there are many more immigrants (most non-English-speaking,) than citizens.  This particular person never stops talking loudly all night long. There is no way anyone can say anything without her feeling interrupted. Seriously, do you ask permission to speak outside of a meeting or courthouse?

Image by SnaggleTooth May 2017

Now each time she speaks I ask her if she has permission... just to be a wise guy.


Image by SnaggleTooth May 2017

Image by SnaggleTooth May 2017

Image by SnaggleTooth May 2017


I only stood up in a small way for freedom of speech.

Image by SnaggleTooth May 2017



I wonder what it would feel like to die for Democracy to survive...?

Image by SnaggleTooth May 2017


Happy Memorial Day Week-end,

and remember!

7 Comments:

At 5:50 PM, Blogger Tabor said...

The person who remains calm and stalwart is the winner in those angry discussion. Sorry for such a run-in. I hope that she mellows a little and has learned her lesson.

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

You say you only spoke up in a small way. I say to speak up at all is huge. Good for you. Bravo! And God Bless America:-)

 
At 4:51 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Tabor, I have had a few recent run-ins with this "power freak". Social Customs in Cape Verde are a mile away from what we learn is acceptable here! The other night she screamed at 2 supervisors yet didn't lose her job as others have. She is very difficult to work with.

Gran Annie, a bit too brave sometimes folks say. I find myself unwilling to be tolerant to bullying by young folks. After awhile it really riles me up, n I have to defend basic rights n argue for fairness. Some folks never heard of these basic concepts, yet they want to be citizens here, n don't learn about the constitution or laws. Some folks I work with haven't learned any English after being here for many years because they aren't made to.

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger G. B. Miller said...

I hate obnoxious co-workers like that. At least in the private sector, you don't have to worry about retribution. More power to you.

I Are Writer!

 
At 6:16 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

G.B., well she yelled at her section super again today, not learning from the last time! Wonder if she will get canned this time. She doesn't like how the guy asks her to do things but it is his job... TG I am not in charge!

 
At 1:44 AM, Blogger desk49 said...

The Red White and Blue
is touching the sky

Who got to live
who fight and die

For our flag to be
where it now fly's

 
At 3:44 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Ellis, so few young these days are respectful of what that sacrifice means or don't honor the stars & stripes as we older folks who learned our values. They don't realize the lives given for it, n for them also. I aim to teach them! Thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home