Thursday, September 22, 2016

Talking Turkey

Image by SnaggleTooth Sept 2016


Photo by SnaggleTooth Sept 2016
 A couple weeks ago I looked out the front window here n saw a small flock of wild turkeys across the road in the neighbors yard. Once hunted by Pilgrims, they are a large, protected, game bird, once on the edge of extinction. There are alot of wild Turkeys now locally roaming beaches, n foraging thru populated neighborhoods.

Image by SnaggleTooth Sept 2016


I ran across to get a few pics n was carefull to stay behind some trees n shrubs to not appear threatening. It's not wise to get in their face close, or the leader may attack. I heard about one going crazy in a parking lot some time ago, who kept trying to attack his reflection, running into it-  n wouldn't let the owner in their car! I've seen some really huge ones outside work a few years back, almost as tall as me at the head.

Image by SnaggleTooth Sept 2016

These were smaller, about 2.5 feet. The severe drought must be affecting them too.
This guy was watching guard for the others as they picked at the scrawny lawn. Luckily, they weren't afraid of my presence, n didn't shy away.


Image by SnaggleTooth Sept 2016

I was surprised to see one on point check for traffic, n led the rest across the road. I crossed parallel with them about 15 feet away, n they continued down a row of grass toward the woods in back. Most of my pics were blurry, due to their constant motion or mine.

Image by SnaggleTooth Sept 2016

Image by SnaggleTooth Sept 2016

 The past week we had two entire days of showers finally! Lawns n woods are looking alot greener today. One of the tomato plants in the ground shriveled up, dying of shock in the water, n left behind a small 1 inch red fruit. I picked only 1 green bean today... In this case now the potted plants are doing better.

Image by SnaggleTooth Sept 2016

Photo by SnaggleTooth Sept 2016Image by SnaggleTooth Sept 2016


I actually cooked n am eating some turkey legs from the market this week.


Photo by SnaggleTooth Sept 2016


Maybe I'll get more Zucchini in the garden next week if it doesn't get freezing overnight too soon. September is the best time in this area, so much less crowded too.

Blink n summer is over- 
First day of Fall already!
Photo by SnaggleTooth Sept 2016


Note: good contrast / resolution helps on the subtle tones in this post, monitor adjustment may help. At home these look great, at the library the monitor is too dark...

4 Comments:

At 9:26 PM, Blogger Tabor said...

I had to buy a monitor/monitor. It was something I hung over my monitor and then ran some software so that my monitor showed true colors in my photos so that if I printed something or sent something out, I knew was the actual color the software was providing! Wild turkeys are something we had here only briefly before they met their maker. I really do miss them!!

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Tabor, we have so many in town now, just saw a large flock of 15 or so nearby. Yep, need a good monitor to paint here- Thanks

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger LL Cool Joe said...

Wow, I've never seen wild turkeys before! I've only seen dead ones in the supermarket around Christmas. Ha. So do people attempt to kill and eat them or do they just walk around safely?

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

LLcoolJ, They are pretty much safe because they are a protected endangered species. They've been around since the pilgrim founders, but were hunted way down until someone noticed they were getting scarce. Now they are always around- I heard they taste very gamey compared to the store models.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home