Friday, February 08, 2013

Snow Blowin'

 Image by SnaggleTooth Feb 2013


A blizzard is forecast. The airport announced early it will be closed.



The Governor went on the evening news n requested all schools close n all drivers to get off the road by noon. The MBTA will close down at 3:30, a rare event, only staying open to help hospital employee second-shifts get to work. Also he urged private employers to close, n he closed work for all non-essential state employees. Utilities are calling for a level 5 (highest) alert for repair crews.


Photo by SnaggleTooth Feb 2013

Of the hundreds of closings across the state, as seen all evening on the bottom of the tv screen, my town has opted for an early dismissal school day... n Work wants us there to begin by 1pm, which to me is a lost day of sleep.


Image by SnaggleTooth Feb 2013


Today I'm a bit apprehensive, trying to figure out how I'll get home (or be stuck at work) as we'll be done at the height of the storm, which is also expected to kick-up high winds on the Cape, n may cause coastal flooding. Granted it should be warmer here most of the  day, n not accumulate as much as inland.


 Image by SnaggleTooth Feb 2013



I'm sure most folks wouldn't even consider going in, but we are expected to. We will get no paid time off, n even may lose the job for not showing up. The eateries we sell too never close, n folks still go get coffee n grab a bite in any weather.

Wish me luck!




 Photo by SnaggleTooth Feb 2013

Here are pics (plus altered cousins) of my flowering house plants brightening up my winter, n also my doggie planter, like the ones recently seen on Good Things Happened. My sister bought it at a yard sale for my B-day present when we were kids.The planter section of it is a trunk. I wonder if there was a matching kitty one...


I've recently mentioned these things at my home in recent comments on other blogs. I do like seeing other folks stuff, so here's a bit of mine...
....................................................................

UPDATE: After working only a couple hours we are done for the day n I'm back home already! Luckily the Governor has declared a State of Emergency plus a Driving Ban beginning at 4 pm. 
I'm certain getting to work for Saturday night will be difficult too, if possible.

The roads aren't even bad out here yet- just a little slushy. Awaiting a temp drop of about 10 degrees F before the stronger winds kick in tonight.
So Far so good!

14 Comments:

At 4:03 AM, Blogger LL Cool Joe said...

Oh I hope you are safe in the blizzard. It seems sad that you have to work where everywhere else is closing! Be very careful out there today!

Nice house plants! Mine are all dead!

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Erica B said...

it's a load of bull-twinkies that your work is open. I'm sorry but people won't be buying your food items tomorrow. if they need them that bad they should pick them up today. I'm sorry that you have to go in and have such an asshole employer.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Hey, I see your St. Pat's bunny is out and ready for some green beer!!

But I'll have to return, sorry. Just a quick hello for this comment, as I must do some stuff before I pick Kelly up from school.

ooxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Yes, and PLEASE be careful driving. I'm sure you've got an emergency kit, but please take care.

xoxo

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Thankyou Everyone for your prayers n well wishes!

LLcoolJ, You'd think having muffins n bagels is more important than emergency brain surgery today... Still being cautious n careful, thanks. Keep dusting those fake ones!

MB, see beginning of Joey comment answer above... The Boss' bonus prob depends on it! They did make some stuff yesterday for today, so didn't take long to do. home safe now, could be worse!

JanF, n JanF2, Yep the Green Bunny- Can always use a little extra luck for Blizzards! I got way too much stuff in my ER kit! Was a Girl Scout for a decade, so don't worry, I know how to camp! Just hope the power holds out- Will do!

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Neo said...

I heard Boston was already a ghost town. We're waiting to see which way it turns when your front meets up with ours coming out of Ontario over the cape. At the least we'll get a foot and a few inches, and at worst we'll get 2 foot.

I have a few last minute things to pickup but I'm all set for the weekend so let it snow! Be safe!

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

Oh - I was getting worried about you being stuck at work. So glad you are safe at home, Snaggle.

And as I was scrolling, I thought, "hey that dog planter looks similar to mind!" and saw that you gave me a shout out.

Take care and be careful!

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger TALON said...

I'm glad you got home early. If it's anything like we got here (over a foot of snow and still counting), it's best to be home safe 'n sound. Schools closed today and by mid-afternoon most businesses did, too.

I love that puppy planter, Snaggle! So sweet!

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

"Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger" and you seem to know that more than most of us. Stay safe and warm if you can. You are in my prayers.

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Ah, so glad to hear you are home safe, and early. Hopefully you relaxed some at home during those hours.

I love how the trunk is turned on its side. Is puppy bidding adieu to someone leaving on a train?

I really enjoy that you share your stuff -- thanks!! Always fun to get more glimpses into our friends.

Have you has your African violets long? They look so happy. If I ever got any again they'ed probably end up getting dusted, like Joey's. :)

xoox

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger G. B. Miller said...

Thanks for the update as I was about to say that the owner was a pallet shy of a full load when he wanted you to come into work that night.

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Mountain Mama said...

Thank you for more fascinating designs. I love the colors too.
I hope you didn't get a lot of snow as did some other areas in the east. It's trying to look like Spring here and my tulip's are poking through the ground and the snowdrop's are ready to bloom. Still only around 40 degrees though.
I love your flowers. I tried African Violets but they got some kind of little white bugs I couldn't get rid if. I do have a few Christmas Cactus and love them too.
Take care and keep warm and safe.

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Mountain Mama said...

Thank you for more fascinating designs. I love the colors too.
I hope you didn't get a lot of snow as did some other areas in the east. It's trying to look like Spring here and my tulip's are poking through the ground and the snowdrop's are ready to bloom. Still only around 40 degrees though.
I love your flowers. I tried African Violets but they got some kind of little white bugs I couldn't get rid if. I do have a few Christmas Cactus and love them too.
Take care and keep warm and safe.

 
At 4:00 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Thankyou everyone for checking in. First chance in days to check online here, about to post about that... Maybe several posts...

Neo, I am alive! thanks

Lynn, I was worried about me too. Your blog is always one of the highlightes of my day, you know! You deserve alotta shout outs! I've been vigilantly careful-

Talon, The storm was one of the ten worst here in recorded history. there's still no school here. Walmart may finally open tomorrow... Knew you'd like the doggie- just has a great expression.

Gran Annie, I'm getting so strong, I may pick up a mountain n toss it to the moon- Finally warm again. will elaborate later. Thanks I needed those prayers!

JanF, I always thought the doggie arrived in the trunk- (before they had carriers) n is pleading with a new human to keep him. I have 3 African violets, blue, red, n white all blooming. They are all between 7 n 3 years old, n were all on sale under $3 because blooming was declining. They have cycles, n must keep them moist. That's the trick.

G, I would add to your apt metaphor, but must refrain... TG I didn't get stuck there! yhanks

Mountain Mama, It sure did snow, n I shoveled many hours, even today 3 days later. The previously shoveled drain was re-plow-clogged again, n the rain of today's storm flooded my road, so I had to before it turns back to ice. Glad you liked the blooms- the best part of winter in here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home