Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Water

Photo by SnaggleTooth Summer 2010 .
.
.
My area is finally getting some rain for my Days Off, after a very dry June n July so far. All the plants across the road, in the yard, n the lawn too are wilted, n growth has slowed from the initial spurt in June.
.
The air has been moist n humid along with the heat, so that work has almost drained me completely of energy. I've been so thirsty for cold beverages it seems I'm endlessly guzzeling in my free time. Even this pic is getting me thirsty...
.
During July I've actually taken very few new pics so far. I really like the qualities of this one, the light, the movement, the color. This water shot, along with the past two poem's pics, ( Hidden Light , Soothing ) were all different stages from that same sunset at fav beach back in June.
.
Image by SnaggleTooth Summer 2010Last week when I was at the boat ramp beach with the Little Ones, it would've been a good high tide week to go swimming at the better beach. Because of extended work hours, sores, n lack of funds tho- I was too out of it to make the trip at the best time.
.
Toe dipping has been taken advantage of on numerous occassions this season, but I still haven't dived in n submerged, which is my definition of swimming- I actually prefer treading water over my head, n try not to touch down my toes on the bottom when I'm not in deep water. Of course part of that is avoiding crab pinches. The other reason for that is: I can! I can tread salt water with ease. Also I can float, n even pretend to nap sometimes, with my feet crossed at the ankle, n hands clasped behind my head. (All you need to do to float is breath deeply, n relax)
.
Image by SnaggleTooth Summer 2010Fresh water treading n swimming usually requires more effort, due to less bouyancy without the salt. But it's better for diving n swimming under water longer distances. I used to pride myself going all the way from the diving board to the low end of the public pool with one breath. There was a large, three-section pool in walking distance of where I grew up, with three diving boards at one end.
.
When I was a teen I used to straight dive, swan dive, pike, n try somersaults, along with the occassional cannonballs of course. I even braved the high-dive on occassion. It used to give me head-aches after just a few landings tho... Back when I was ten, after about twenty backwards somersaults in the six-foot section, launched off of the cement pool edge, I finally missed- n ended up with a whopping head-ache plus ten stitches on my head, keeping me out of the pool for weeks that summer. I hate not swimming...
.
I was a swimming baby. I scared the bejebaz out of my mother at the tender age of eighteen months, learning to swim underwater. I was really good at distance even then. Stamina has always been one of my strong suits.

Image by SnaggleTooth Summer 2010Lately tho- I'm just exhausted. Too much lost sleep this year, too many high-movement marathons at work without enough breaks. Now I'm paraniod to go deep-sea swimming as I used to out in the bay. Well, there have been White Shark sightings off shore of the Cape in East Chatham again today- not in my village, but I suppose I do rather swim like a seal sometimes! (seals are sharks fave dinner).
.
Funny n ironic:
I ate chicken for dinner today!

18 Comments:

At 8:03 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

I love those water shots. Be careful and watch out for sharks - oh my, that would be terrible.

Hopefully you can catch up on sleep soon - is your business not as busy after the tourist season?

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Erica B said...

I have noticed over the years out west here, that no one is able to back float with ease as I can. lol.. no one. every chance I get I back float with my eyes closed, feet crossed and hand under the back of my head, All the while keeping my front side (and toes!) visible. What can I say I learned from a pro ;P I love to swim too, and if it weren't for the season pass to the swimming area down the street, I would be out of luck myself...

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger TALON said...

The water looks so inviting! We're taking shallow breaths here before the heat and humidity return full force again at the end of the week. It does wear you down for sure! I've only swam in salt water a few times, but loved every minute. It's lovely! I hope you get to submerge and then float to your heart's content soon, Snaggle!

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger desk49 said...

Wow all this summer and not one good over your head dip in the old bay. The great whites are looking for a few good (seal) swimmers. So you might just get out there and. Dog paddle. The only shark that will get me has to take a taxi to my front door. We have enough crabs around here now. I don't think the 7dust will kill the ones with the really big claws. Not a lot of heat either the rain gauge on the back porch floated off. I had sand bags around my truck but the neighbor stole them. But that is okay, she could not swim back home carrying two of them and we have not seen her since. Enough of this tall tale and I’ll just say I hope you get a sunny day off with a pocket full of money. Take the kids to the beach and have a lot of fun. It will be okay your job won’t miss it till Monday.

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger G. B. Miller said...

Yay for rain!

1, its great that the browning can be held off for a little while, but more importantly, is 2:

My boss is out there this week on vaca.

Need I say more?

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Firstly, I love the mystery of that first photo. Feels like I'm in a movie and will soon be gliding in low helicopter along the top of that water into some cool scene.

Secondly - OUCH on the head-bang and the stitches. I cringed reading that.

Thirdly, glad you're drinking lots.

Fourthly, great about the rain.

Fifthly,I had forgotten about salt water buoyancy. It's a cool light frothy feeling. Oh Ocean, wherefore art thou today? :)

Sixthly, "Crazy Jerry" -- Aqua Man we called him, would go down, back, down, back a fairly large pool on one breath. But only after 6 beers. CRAZY Jerry for sure.

Seventhly... xoxo

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger Blue Bunny said...

deerist snagil,

pleze, pleze be careful wit sharkes. they is not nise.

butt yoo is nise.

ox
me
BB

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Lynn, That is all the same pic in this post, btw- but I do long to jump off a boat! It won't slow down until September here.

MB, I can picture all the swimming folks in awe of your awesome floatatude! Luckyyou have a good spot nearby. I want the energy n safety for a deep water jaunt before the heat is done-

Talon, Breathe while you can- this whole time since the "Hot" post has been hot n sticky with no rain every day- n I work over cooking food next to a huge dishwasher full of steam. I'm fried! I heard a neighbor state they were ready to move to Alaska... me too- but not in today's low tide n lightning! thanks

Ellis, Hmmm, don't think I've ever Doggy-paddled. That's for non-swimmers for us fish folks. The heat seems to proliferate the crabs here too! Better some paddling rain than none, I think. How many days in a row would you lug many water jugs for the flowers before you quit? I'm on over 25 now... Ya know I believe in tieing a dinghy to the front porch whenever possible!
We are treated very badly if we call in for work. Our hours will be cut by days the following week, even if we were really ill!
I've never once called in for four years! I can't afford it. I'm also required to work every single week-end until the summer is over- making it difficult to have fun until then. But thanks for the sentiments- Normal folks would've taken a mental health day a long time ago-

G, ya, finally just now a few drops have begun- about time! My lawn is so crispy I haven't cut it all month yet! i see you are very fond of your boss!I'd love to get the paid vaca my bosses get- even in the rain!

JanF, ... as long as it isin't Jurassic Park, that is! You can make out the Jette you've oftn seen in the top right corner on close inspction. That water seemed magical!
I remember that day like yesterday- All the pool folks cringing n gasping at me in horror, being rushed into the life guard room, the blood, the lollipop the cops fed me on the way to the ER, my Mom rushing in looking so worried- Me NOT FAZED!
So far the rain is light- come on downpours! More, more! -Down, to the right! Alright Jerry! thanks

BB, I'll be karesfulls wit Sharkels if yous karefulls wit coyotes, ok?

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger ... Paige said...

I love the shimmery colors and light playing on the waters. I can float but my beloved can not and our oldest dauger Erin can't either, she can swimm just not float.

between me and you I think they both have lead in their a...well you know

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger Cloudia said...

I love your shots today!






Aloha from Waikiki

Comfort Spiral

 
At 2:01 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Paige, aren't the colors nifty? It's strange who's good in the ater n who isin't. My dad couldn't swim at all. Not floating I think is just not trusting you won't sink (fear).

Cloudia, Thankyou- Your pics are always great too- Aloha!

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger Brian Miller said...

thanks for popping in over at oneshot...love swimming myself and found myself desiring it more the further i got into the post...think i could play all day in the water..mostly the lake around here but...

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger LL Cool Joe said...

You work far too hard mate!

I love the water shots too.

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Brian M, OneStop was worth the looky see- Welcome to ESR comments. Thanks, hope you get to take a refreshing dip soon!

llcoolJ, I do like keeping busy- until I'm exhausted that is! Do you swim in the AZ pool alot? (ya know I would)! Thanks

 
At 12:30 AM, Blogger David Edward said...

coolness of water amazes me

 
At 1:37 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

David, yes, me too- I never tire of it.

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Thomma Lyn said...

What beautiful pictures! I love water, and like you, my definition of swimming involves being submerged.

Sounds like your weather has been similar to ours. We went through a very dry period, nearly three weeks without rain. Thank goodness for the garden sprinkler!

 
At 3:45 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

ThommaLyn, I'm amazed at your garden progress despite the parched conditions- TG the hose got turned back on for me last week- nothing but a real swim can cool you off in the heat- except the cold squirt from a hose!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home