Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Hot

Photo by SnaggleTooth July 2010
.
.
Day Off from Hell Week at Work arrived to greet the record-breaking heat wave in the NorthEast USA, n also the hottest day on the Cape so far. High 90's even at the shore- Almost 3 am now n still reported to be 75F!
.
Mischief is still convinced I set the deck chair up for her, so I went n got another one so I could sit n read a bit. The house is stuffy to say the least. Even with six fans running, it hasn't cooled off yet. AC in Little Truck quit this week too...
.
Photo by SnaggleTooth July 2010.
.
The deck flowers are becoming more abundant, tho some pansies were wilting in the heat. I really like those bargain burgandy velvet n pink petunias out there now.
.
Photo by SnaggleTooth July 2010The late afternoon high tide was perfect for visiting the boat ramp beach several times. My limbs were all throbbing after my extended shift n it felt really good to have time to salt soak.
.
Photo by SnaggleTooth July 2010
Some of my fave Little Ones came to play. There was a crab adventure, minnow trapping, n net hunting along with the normal splashing about n tossing seaweed, sand, n rocks. Sometimes it's tough teaching three year olds to respect the ocean creatures, n the dangers of water play.
.
Photo by SnaggleTooth July 2010
.
Some friends found the hugest Hermit Crab any one of us has ever seen! Just like Sebastian in the little Mermaid with the big pole-eyes n antennae. The small ones are very abundant here, but this was the great grand-Daddy of them all, n had good size claws to pinch with.
.
He gave an impressive show once coaxed out of his shell. Some folks got too crabby also n had to go home.
.
Photo by SnaggleTooth July 2010
The insects started to infiltrate. Finally I got bit on the leg by a green-head Horsefly which I'm allergic too, so I had to go back up the hill for ice to put on the welt, n take some benedryl. But I'm ok, not like the time I spent the 4th of July at the ER because of a similar fav beach bite close to my eye which got painfully swollen up like a tennis ball.
Windy days are better to avoid that, but who could resist cooling off in the water in this heat....
(not me)!
Stay Cool!

13 Comments:

At 6:03 AM, Blogger desk49 said...

Snaggle Tooths day recapped
For fun

Let me see
She had a
Cat that sat
A flower bloom
Sea salt soak
Kids that swoon
Hermit Crab of
Grand-daddy size
And some bug
That bit her
On her thigh
Thank God not
Again by her eye
Craggy kids
That went home
And temperatures hot
All night long
Sorry I almost forget
I just didn’t think
Her trucks AC
That Is on the blink

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

That sounds like a lovely day except for the bug bite. I love those pics and you had your hands full with those wee ones.

There was one day last week when it was 80 degrees at 7am here. Yesterday when I got in my car it was 103 inside. Awful. Sounds as if you all are having a heat wave, too!

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Horse flies are the devil

Hey, is that YOUR silver ring? Probably not, as you'd have to be taking the snap with your left hand. But maybe!! Beautiful ring.

And that beach chair looks so pretty and inviting. Nice colors!

What a sweet gaggle of little boys -- must be tons of energy there.

Six fans, sounds like a plan in the heat.

Glad to hear you got a little Hell Week respite in the salt water. wish I were there with you.

xoxo

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Blue Bunny said...

i just came from lyn's and i stil dreeming about beets.

i kno a frogg hoo wil love to eet your horseflyes. his name is kermitt. he lives neer my jannies watter hose.

stay cool too.

wit loves.

BB

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger TALON said...

Mischief looks so content on the chair, Snaggle. How lovely to be able to spend some time at the beach and that crab is so cute! Sorry you got bit, but I'm so glad you had some quality down time.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger ... Paige said...

well i suppose it was mostly fun

and i enjoyed desk49's poem

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Ellis, the cat wouldn't move, actually- about 100 flowers are out there now, The kids are very hyper, that crab was awesome. Seems very cute in verse tho- thanks

Lynn, yes it was all good til I had to go attend to that n get groggy on the allergy pills. There were 5 adults n 4 boys, n we were all busy! Record heat here-

JanF, those bites aren't only painful, but will keep swelling until stopped with medication- Yes, our friend, Mom of the other 2 boys has excellent taste in bling! I don't wear any-
Those colors say summer to me- Boys are very fast runners!
Wish I had 10 bigger fans!

BB, I'm growing beets n turnips. The raddishes are missing...
Kermiie is welcome to eat all the nasty biting flies he wants here-

Talon, She deserves to feel "entitled" once in awhile. (wouldn't budge!) If the heat isin't an excuse to get wet what is?I was glad to have spme visit time.

Paige, Despite the heat it was all good til I got nailed! Me too-Aren't his poems great?

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger LL Cool Joe said...

Mischief cracks me up. Isn't that typical? I find that as soon as I set myself up a comfy seat somewhere outside, someone or something gets there before I do!

 
At 3:28 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

LLcoolJ, How did you know that's exactly what happened- n now it's everytime she beats me to it! Well I guess it's really her deck too!

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Erica B said...

holy cow! that is one big hermit crab!! Must've been that one that managed to survive being pulled out of its shell when we were kids, or perhaps someone's pet crab that got thrown in the ocean the last time the owner moved.... And I must say that we picked the ideal week to head to coastal ME where the weather was quite comfortable.

 
At 2:29 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

MB, Yes- a pet crab would explain it- or maybe he hiked across the ocean from Africa... I was gonna ask if it was hot up there too- We were roasting! Lucky you!
Not as bad today- whew

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Ah, she goes for the bling.

xo

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

JanF, ya- n thats one of those new "Shape" bracelets she's got too- they are all the rage with the kids around town.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home