Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Shell Garden

Photo by SnaggleTooth May 2010
.
.
On local beach walks I sometimes find some nifty sea critter shells n bring them home. One winter I found mounds piled up at fave beach, along with the plentiful seaweed (as previously reported on ESR).

Photo by SnaggleTooth May 2010
Some shells n rocks make it to my kitchen windowsill or table collection. I enjoy perusing their colors, shapes n textures on a regular basis. The wonders of invertebrate creation never gets old. Quartz in many shades is pretty. Worn shells n Mother of Pearl shines beautifully. These natural objects amuse n inspire me.
.
Photo by SnaggleTooth May 2010

A couple years ago I decided to deposit some of my plentiful specimens in a small corner of the front garden, which is a shady spot most of the day. Most plants haven't done well there.
.
I've transplated some Tiger Lillies, Lillies of the Valley, little hybrid evergreens, n Boston Ferns there.
.
Photo by SnaggleTooth May 2010
Whelk shells are a favorite, n I always cart them back. There's oysters, clams, scallops, razor clams, coggs, crabs, snails, lady Slippers, n some colorful rocks. I'm not too picky about their placement, as little ones like to pick some out n play sometimes, n critters like to steal the shells also. They seem to favor small crab shells, even tho empty of meat.
.
Photo by SnaggleTooth May 2010The leaves got raked off again not long ago, n I had to take a pic to play with Paintshop Pro color effects again... Just to see what would happen-
.
Hope there's more good shell specimens from beach walks all over to add in this year.
Why doesn't everyone have a shell garden?

6 Comments:

At 8:32 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

Such pretty shells - I'll bet it is fun to walk along the beach and pick them up.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger TALON said...

So neat! If I lived near the ocean, I'd definitely have a shell garden. Around our area, rock gardens are popular in areas where there's deep shade.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Well, by george!! I'm gonna start a shell garden too, lord knows we have enough of those kicking around.

Yours looks SWEET!!

xo

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Lynn, The best are upstairs, but I've plenty to spread around. It's tough finding good ones to bring back sometimes-

Talon, Do you ever collect colorful rocks? I always do- Well at least I finally found plants that do well there-

JanF, Good luck- They do wear n break after a few years- Then the best ones dissappear sometimes. I think it needs more shells again- I need more! Thanks

 
At 3:53 AM, Blogger Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

cute shells,
how precious!

 
At 5:53 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Jingle, I love my shells- thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home