Saturday, October 31, 2009

Hallo Weenie Spidey

Photo n Altered by SnaggleTooth 2009
The original pic of my missing Autumn friend, the huge brown bulby-spider isin't as pretty as her altered disguises...
.
Prepare thyself for a true, old tale... circa early '70's
.
Back in The Day, when folks weren't afraid to go around the neighborhood pounding on doors in disguise, there was this one house which succeeded in creeping us out every time.
.
Photo n Altered by SnaggleTooth 2009
None of us actually saw the owner outside during the year, probably on the graveyard shift... Adding to the fun, there was always a very tall, large, aggressively barking, german shepard ("Baron" as informed by another neighbor) in a ten foot cage on one side of the little house.
.
Every Halloween for years, me n my little sister steeled ourselves n yet again knocked on that door. After what seemed like a long time waiting, with the dog growling n barking, the doorknob would slowly start turning. The door would open just a crack. Then painstakingly, it would creak ever so slowly to finally open several inches. Then suddenly, a large, red, real, lobster claw shot out the openning snapping n pinching!
Photo n Altered by SnaggleTooth 2009 Shiek! Jump! After a few minutes of air-snapping the claw would finally offer a candy bowl to pick out something- a person's face was never seen... just a red-cloaked arm with the lobster claw on it. One year Little Sis just turned n ran! The claw saying,
"Come back little girl! Come back!"
.
Think after that we just skipped over the place... That person, who ever they were, had far too much fun scaring everyone!
.
Did your old neighborhood have a memorable house that scared you on Boo-night?

Photo n Altered by SnaggleTooth 2009

9 Comments:

At 8:51 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

What a great story! I'm sure the person inside knew how scary his lobster claw and red cloaked arm were, but I wish he would have dialed it back enough so that you would have felt safe to go back again. I admire his scariness though. :)

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Blue Bunny said...

I loved those big scares as a kid. I guess most kids do, eh?

We would walk our country road for 5-6 miles on Hallowe'en.

There was one house, the Reid Home, a big delapidated mansion none of us would stop at, inhabited by a real witch. Still shudder when I think of it.

There is apparently one street here in Austin where almost all the residents try to outdo each other, never been. Maybe tonight! Ooooooo.

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Lynn, In the front foyer I used to have hanged cowboy dripping blood, an almost closed coffin with skeleton arms reaching out of it, n sting up loads of threaded paper bats on a jingling rig of thread, Plus tape my own sound effects. In that case tho, the person at the door was scary-

BB, We hit a few good ones tonight, Like seemingly dummies being alive! Think we walked pretty far towing little ones too-
A real witch would've had curious me knocking away! Hope you got to "Beat the Jones" street this year!

 
At 3:18 AM, Blogger LL Cool Joe said...

My house, growing up was the one that frightened me. I looked into our peoples houses and always wanted to live there.

 
At 7:14 AM, Blogger Milk Brain said...

reminds me of Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget! lol..

 
At 2:57 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

LLcoolJ, we saw many gorgeous, large homes. One had granite n cobblestones all in front, n had a bay window of 5 frames wide- which had me gawking. They spent big bux on the decs too- (Note, my apt is tiny n crowded). I know the feeling well-

MB, Oh yeah, the old Gadget cartoon. I got the Mathew Broderick film here somewhere too... (This one was way- scarier!)

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Hey, Blue Bunny signed in as me up there -- she (he?) is getting 'way 'way good with technologees.

:)

Yep, had great a great trick or treat this year, less candy than usual for Kelly (thank God,) 'cause we started out a bit later than we usually do. A lot of folks had run out by 8:30. And great neighborhood -- some folks were giving out wine and beer for us big kids.

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger TALON said...

I love that we have those scary childhood memories of Halloween. Everyone I talk to remembers the one house that convinced them that Halloween was for real!

I love your spidey pics!

 
At 3:11 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

JanF/BB, I did notice it didn't sound like you/he/she!
So not too much Whine-ing n Sugar Dining, but fun- that sounds good!
Didn't you organize Kelly's school party thingy or something?

Talon, Halloween night has certainly scared young folks for real over silly things! Then there were the haunted-house shows that DECA n school's Ghost Walk, there's a Bog Fright Night here. I wonder if Spooky World is still in business- n Thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home