Friday, June 13, 2008

HorseShoe

Photo by SnaggleTooth 2008
Finally, enough free time to walk down the hill n stick my aching toes into the salt water for the first time this year. Thursday was only about 85F degrees, a bit cool compared to earlier in the week. I "Eennie-meenie-moe'd" left to the m-cove. High-tide was at about 5pm, n always the best time at all the beaches here.
.
No one else was on the boulevarde beach. I waded around the end closest to the D-bridge a little while, then I saw this critter shell near some seaweed behind me. It was moving in the small ripples, n at first I thought it was alive. ... But something was missing... (the tail) n then suddenly a small green crab ran out from under it! Guess it makes a great hiding place.
.
Now my lucky horseshoe's making an appearance in my front shell garden for the kids to point at. (There was no meat left on it).
Photo by SnaggleTooth 2008
Altho they get fairly large, Horseshoe crabs are harmless creatures when compared to the pincher ones. There's also tons of tiny hermit crabs to see in the cove. Some folks can't stand sea life, so only swim in lakes. I think there's so much more to learn from exploring the ocean. I'm fascinated with shells n rocks also. They all have stories of the past in them.
.
I just washed some of my beach clothes n towel stuff, so next time I can actually go swimming if I want to. Of course, the heat wave has ended, but summer has indeed arrived. Never does seem like it tho, until the toes are submerged.

4 Comments:

At 1:08 PM, Blogger Shelley said...

Glad you finally got yer toes wet!
What a beautiful specimen. Hopefully some raccoon wont take off with it.

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Xray, that happens sometimes. The squirrel took an orange crab-leg I had out there a few weeks ago- Also it's close enough to the road for the kids to snatch easily. You have to get close to the Tiger Lilies to see it tho-

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Janus Torrell said...

hmmm I long to be by the water

 
At 5:18 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Janus, I never feel at home unless the ocean is close by. I see some out the window.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home