Thursday, May 29, 2008

Sharps n Flats

My week has been much longer than usual. Beginning on Memorial Day, one of my truck tires suddenly developed a semi-slow leak, causing it to go completely flat every time I turn around (10 minutes to a half-hour). At least I finally figured out if I park with the valve-stem at 25 past 12, it's ontop of the nail, n leaks air more slowly, so about 10 psi will stay in there, saving me some time.
.
I've been spending between an hour, n an hour n a half prior to each ride anywhere blowing it up to driveable pressure using my mini compressor which plugs into the cigg-lighter. It can only run up to five minutes at a whack before getting too hot, then I need to wait about ten minutes to go again. If I overdo it, the itty-bitty motor will fry n die. Then I'll be stranded, so I'm careful with the running time.
.
Once driving along, the air pressure escapes quickly, so that I have to constantly find more air compressors to cross town. Of the four stations right at the plaza up the road, only one is working (the last one I checked, naturally).
.
Now I finally have my system worked out, so I can get the seven miles down the road to work on time. (Don't stop for any errands, except at two compressors) Sitting there waiting around for the mini-compressor another hour or so after work is a real bummer tho- I'm not getting home until after five, n I'm missing alot of sleep hours.
.
If only this wasn't rent due time, I'd be able to see the tire-plug guy with enough bux in hand to fix-it up. This is one chore which won't wait until the third week of July (Stimulus check). Of course, I'll have to go without more sleep to get the repair done. No rest for the weary (me).
.
I've been putting off getting new front tires for awhile (thanks to the heat bill). A new one would've gotten the nail anyway. This week I found out that my space-saver spare tire isin't any good either. It holds air almost as well as the flat tire. The rim is so rusted n flaking I wouldn't put that lumpy thing on my wheel hub (It's an accident waiting to happen). So I need a spare too. Luckily, I didn't find out in the middle of a longer road trip...
.
Photo by SnaggleTooth 2008Most folks subscribe to triple-A, n have a cellphone to call them, (Not me, at this point). They wouldn't have been able to do any more than I did already, anyhow. I'd still have to wait around. The air would leak out just as quickly, the spare would be just as bad.

Everytime I park I'd still need to whip out the little compressor. I got it at Benny's about a dozen years ago for under $20 bux. It's paid for itself a hundred times over in saving my day in a pinch on many occassions. I just wish I didn't need it so many times this week. I really hate the extended time-needed-in-prep factor.
.
Remember, We are all only one nail from being nailed!
(But it didn't stop me...)

4 Comments:

At 9:13 PM, Blogger Janus Torrell said...

I wish I still had my tire repair stuff and was close enough to use it.


Sorry about the tire thing, I hope you are able to get that taken care of soon.

 
At 5:08 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Thanks Janus. I had to break down n get a new tire last week.

 
At 4:23 AM, Blogger Buddy T. Doxie said...

Well now that I have a com I have backtracked to hear but I just wanted to say pump it up... lol(I know you have it fixed ... Buddy

 
At 4:11 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Buddy, you're here to pump me up? Yes, it's fixed, but I'm still paying for it-

 

Post a Comment

<< Home