Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Rattle, Shudder-Shudder-woo!

Today I signed over the old, dead, blue car which has been parked in the driveway too long to old-home friend Steve, who came by a few times this week. The plan is to use his new car trailer with a newly welded winch to haul it to the dump for scrap n split the money with me.
...
I do need the cash, but I have trouble parting with some stuff, due to the connections it has with people from my life who've passed on.
I nick-named it "R2-D2" because it shuddered n rattled inexplicably at odd times. I drove the little chevy myself for five years carting high-school n college kids, n people all over Timbucktoo before it became more parts-worn, n I found my truck.
...
My mother (now deceased) drove the 4-cylinder putt-putt for ten years before that, all over the USA for conventions n family visits, due to the great gas-mileage. The hard part for me is knowing it's the last new car my father ever bought, picked out for my mother, after six months of consumer report research back in the'80's- The infamous Cavalier (4-door) model.
...
When it was still legally on the road after spending bux fixing it n for ads, I had it up for sale for a couple hundred, n there were no takers! I would've driven it to the junk dealer myself, but at the time they were only paying 11 bux for that weight, n the taxi ride home cost 12! We didn't have a town-trolley then.
...
Finally it ran out of fuel to keep starting it every week, n the battery died, then it slowly deteriorated out there the past few winters in the snow. Everytime out the door I'd look at the old dolphin decal on the window n all the beach stickers on the back dash n get the warm, fuzzy, familar feelings of what it was like to have parents in the old days.
They always sold me their older cars, n I paid for every, single one.
...
Sometime Last year, Steve offered to help me get it moved, but his blazer trucks (3) started dropping like flies, then he got a great, new building job out of town n got tied up.
...
Finally his projects slowed down n scrap prices went back up over a hundred per ton due to the rising fuel prices and the wars overseas. So now Dad's old chevy may end up as amo or recycled goods in Afganistan, Korea or something similar. I find this a sad thought.
...
Just not getting to see it anymore will bother me for awhile, I bet. I went out there yesterday n scraped off the dolphin pic, n some of the beach stickers. Somehow, it'll be easier to watch it hauled away tomorrow without them.
...
Bye R2-D2, n thanks for the rides!

5 Comments:

At 11:17 AM, Blogger X said...

Hugs! It's funny how emotionally attached we can get to specific things. I still have a tiny puzzle my grandmother gave me before she died...it always reminds me of her. I've had it for over 15 years and probably will never throw it out.

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

I'm glad you decided to scrape off the decals. It would have been heart-wrenching to have them waving goodbye as you looked out the window. I can see the Hollywood movie moment now....

I was given a beautiful, colorful teacup and saucer that belonged to my paternal grandmother years ago. I've had it for 25+ years, and it has moved with me all over the place. A couple of years ago while dusting, I moved it too close to the edge of my dresser, and it dropped to the floor and broke. I gathered the pieces and saved them, because I didn't have the heart to throw them out just yet. I have saved a few broken plates, etc, because one day I plan to make a mosaic tabletop to replace a deck table I have now. I figured it was the only way to preserve the pieces. Can't very well do that with a car though, can you? But you can laminate the decals!

RIP, R2D2.... you had some loving owners in your time.

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

OilF, ya it's the attached thoughts that make you treasure the item. Knowing their hands were holding the pieces is comforting. At least a small puzzle doesn't take up much space-

Ellen, There's no way I could give the dolphin pic the boot! Of course I wrecked them in the removal. But it takes the edge off my reluctance to give R2-D2 away-

All the girl-sibs in our group have a Nannie teacup, too- (I'm not certain where it's been packed away all this time ('70's) How sad your dishes broke, but a mosaic is what I would do, also. They have kits to make votive candle-cup-holders, also (just a thought). Good for you having the ambition to plan a whole table-top!
Thanks

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger Milk Brain said...

that was a reliable car even though the first time we brought it home the a/c didn't work. we were all very excited for this a/c for no other car we owned had it.. and then it went kaputz. do you remember where i got hta t dophon decal? i do. 7th grade whale watch. we neer saw any whales tho. neer made it out to stellwagon bank before we had to run around and head back. we left out of hyannis, and apparantly the boat ride took longer than expected.

i mentioned to josh (my old childhood friend from down the street) a month or so ago when he was looking for a new beater that you had one in your yard. he figures it cheaper to buy $100 cars and use them for a little while than buyin a more expensive one and then fixing it up. he found a different one tho, for $100 bucks and fell in love with it, so he ahs spend some ime and a little bit of money fixing teh water leak and a few other problems. if he asks about it later, i'll tell him too bad.. it's gone. next thing you know, D will get rid of the bee infested trailor and then the yard won't look like anything i remember from growing up.. not that the trailor being gone would be a bad thing, but it's a landmark anyhow. hell you can see it on satellite photos.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

MB, Ya, thanks for refreshing my memory about the steamy ride back from Maine (when the ac quit)when BBM didn't want the windows down to wreck her hair, n also about the sticker from the whale watch to nowhere that took all day.
Strange all the memories junk can hold. I remember driving Dad n you kids in that car up to Nanny's on many occasions way before we got it, also.
Ya, I saw the trailer on ther Sat-pics too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home