Saturday, March 04, 2006

Window

Today was bright, sunny n way up in the 20's with a nippy wind-chill factor. All the townee's were out walking around n basking in the relative warmth of mid-day while the gettin was good.
...
I rinsed the nasty-lookin road-salt off the truck with bottles of warm water while BBM n baby J played in the snow a bit on their brief visit. That kid is so adorable, even when goin through a new whiney-stage. He tossed his first mini-snow-ball a couple inches... Won't be long before he'll be slammin folkz with 'em!
...
All the errands are done, but the chores are still begging me for attention. I'm still so sore, think most will have to wait. My current job is repeditively physical and requires lots of standing, walking, lifting, moving, bending, and arm-work. In addition I needed to shovel about 10 inches n a heavy plow-row to get back in the driveway this week, n the drain of course. There's another half of driveway to go, but It'll wait for the fluff to melt down in size.
...
I've missed alot of sleep this week.
Heavy-equiptment construction at the boat ramp outside the window has begun (n continued in the snow), and repeatedly awakened me with loud noises, n ground-shaking during the only hours I have to sleep. I'm not pleased with losing the usually beautiful and serene view that keeps me sane, either. Another previously grassy with shade trees area where the Canadian Geese visit and sometimes nest, has been ripped all to hell n replaced with straw-bales, ugly piles of dirt, a storm-drain pipe pile, a back-hoe, n a dump truck, all now in the way of seeing the little cove's rippling water.The view out the window, one of the best things about this place, is no longer desirable. I hope they hurry-up n finish.
...
I'm betting the fishermen who can't launch there til it's done aren't pleased also. It's more cost effective to launch at a free ramp every day than pay for mooring fees in the harbor, so again the small guy loses...
...
I'm always rootin for the little-biz guys, the wild-life, n natural beauty too.
...
I wanna watch the geese again, now the squirrels n birds are all scared off...
n I'm grumpy missin my sights n well-deserved hibernation...

11 Comments:

At 10:56 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

Don't you just hate progress sometimes? I know it's a necessary evil, but we have far too much of it around here as well.
What used to be a quiet area around my neck of the woods is now all torn down. The air is filled with the smell of pine, sap and dirt where it's all been leveled away for new condos. Might be time for me to think about moving.

My neighbors next door are selling and moving down to FLA. That just blew my good mood for the day, as they were here before me and have been good friends. It also means that they will take "kitty" with them, and my yard will be unprotected from rats and snakes.

 
At 1:31 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Ellen, Sorry to hear your rent-a-rat-trap people are ditching your hood. Ya may hafta break down n save a shelter kitty!
I absolutely hate construction and destruction, n additions of cement where the alive plants were. Sometimes I wish I could move to a rural place where They would stay away n stop chopping up my favorite trees.
I so hate this building boom. I need space... quiet n zzz's would help too...

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

The road that leads down to our cottage used to be all pines and forest... my last memory of it was back 8 years ago (on my last visit). My brothers tell me that it is all filled in with subdivisions, etc. now. I thought that was impossible, as it was mostly marshlands, but apparently that didn't stop them from filling in and building. My poor Cape! I'm sure I wouldn't recognize a lot of it now.

I feel for you.... they just can't leave well enough alone, can they?

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Milk Brain said...

so what are hey doing down at the ramp? are tehy dredging up the cove, working on the storm drains or what?? hmm... they weren't there when we were down. now i'm curious

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Ellen, thankz for the commiseration. Ya wouldn't recognize that road, barely a half-acre left anywhere without a building! You're yard seems huge there compared to most of them!

MB, I think it's storm drain pipes, but they seem to be making a parking lot (Temp or not? unknown) out of the entire grassy bluff- area. I haven't seen a paper story on it. It's an ugly thing to see right now.
I'll let ya know if I find out!

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

Snaggle~ I kind of thought that might be the case. My brothers have pretty much told me the same thing this past year.... I just remember it so differently.

 
At 12:13 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Ellen, I used to love the forest lined roads here, n they've all been sold by the town to get more tax bux, n built on. Large estates n even bogs have been sold for the housing bux!
I liked the small-town feel better, it's gone now, n lots of the modest-income people had to move out with the high prices here now.

Another week-end slips away- C U

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger X said...

Keep those dsamn squirrels away! LOL, I am not a fan. But that sucks about the view....I hope they stop soon! Is it a huge construction project?

 
At 1:48 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Hi Oilfield, I like squirrels until they get in the attic-n too loud! But the kitties like the window show, they have to stay in.
Ya'd think it was a large project, now 2 piles of pipes, a crane, n 6 large, round, cement forms were added on. Wish I had a cam to show you this mess...

 
At 5:23 AM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - Hey, cheer up, it's almost spring. Soon it'll be time to bust out the sunglasses and sun tan lotion. :)

Hang in there, it's only 3 days til Friday.

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

 
At 1:23 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo, ya spring, then all the crowds of people come back...
I like the off-season cause I pretty much get the good part to myself- but this took it away - my quiet window spot used to be relaxing... Not only can I barely sleep, that's usually my writing spot- not now, too loud!
I do really need to cheer up!
3 (long-)days ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home