Saturday, January 28, 2006

Glacial

Wow, what a slow blog-week for me again! My puter is still a bit messed up, n should be fixed more thoroughly, but is presently allowing me to type, - so here it is!
...
Today was a beaut, 50 degrees n sunny. Well, quite unusual for January this week again. The weather guy this am. said it's the warmest here ever on record!
...
The related news story was that Burlington Vermont had to call off the ice-fishing contest to be held in February, because the ice has never been thinner up there on Lake Champlain this time of the winter season. Oh well, maybe next year, they're hoping...
...
When I was little, about 7, we used to take two-week summer vacation in a cottage on the shore of that Lake. I remember spending alot of time playing and swimming there with my cousin John, who was born on the same day, same year as me, but up there in Burlington. (Now he lives near LA of CA.) My Mother grew up in that lake area, n met my Dad there at UVM before he was shipped to Korea, then they married n moved to the Massachusetts- Boston area where I was raised with the other four sibs.
...
The fun story about that glacial Lake Champlain, which is miles deep n located between up-state New York n Northern Vermont, is the legend of "Champ" the sea-monster, who is reported to haunt the waters. Like "Nessie" of the Loch Ness in Scotland, it's got the odd reports of sightings n obscure photos, n rumored to be a hoax or Sturgeon fish, which can grow to six foot lengths. Like Nessie, it's also theorized as possibly being a surviving underwater Plesiosaur from the dinosaur era. It's interesting that both of the lakes in different continents are near the same latitudes, with the same un-proven legend mysteries.
...
I haven't seen the lake's Champ yet, but my first dog as a child that was a boxer, was named Champ!
...
What I did notice in that lake way back when, were tons of those little baby, striped muscles, with such pretty shells. I saved some of those packed in a box somewhere.I remember a news story from just a couple years back, that they're not natives of the lake, but are an accidental foriegn, hostle, take-over species. The native shell-fish were reported to be almost completely gone. Now the striped renegades are spreading through fresh-waterways throughout the continent, clogging up fish spawning-grounds n all sorts of man-made water contraptions, like piers, bridges, n hydro-plants.
The good point brought up about the new muscles clustering everywhere, is the surprizing fact they appear to be cleaning up water pollution, as natural filters, purifying the water as they take over all available space from the other fresh-water species.
...
The eco-system is changing, n it's uncontrollable. Glaciers melted n formed the lakes n the land we live on. Now there's a volcano in Alaska, the perma-frost there has melted for the first time, the northern hemisphere is warmer, longer than before. Scientists state the polar-ice-caps are shrinking. Species are changing food sources or dying out of existance.
Another pod of white-sided dolphins were beach-stranded on the Cape late this week, only 5 out of 20 were saved. The number of strandings this year here is unprecedented! The news reported the initial animals tested the past few weeks were starving, n had no other apparent physical afflictions.
...
The positive I get out of this warmer day is I'm warmer, n don't have to pay the heat for today, it's shut off... n my puter seems to like warmer...

9 Comments:

At 11:32 PM, Blogger X said...

I found myself nodding a lot as I read your post. All of the US network channels we get in Montreal (NBC, ABC, FOX, CBS) are northern VT and NY based, so I know all of Champ and the little shell-things. They have a name but I can't remember. Apparently they also get stuck in motors of boats and can be dangerous when boating around. That said, hope your computer keeps on letting you type! Have a great weekend :)

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

You have a regular heat-wave going on up at the Cape... I've never heard of that either for this time of year. I'm glad for you, as it means a few less layers of clothes.
But I'm sure it stinks for the people who count on the revenue for winter sports.

I think it's amazing how a species of mussels can do so much destruction to man-made contraptions, yet still do an excellant job of becoming the "housekeepers" of the lake. There's some poetic justice to that, I'd say!

We still haven't heard about the dolphins down here... guess they find Hollywood and all the awards they give themselves more of a news story. What a shame!

Between global warming, the bird flu, mad cow disease, and the water eco-system being out of whack, we are truly heading for a horrific problem of mass proportions. I wonder if our fearless leaders are paying attention. For being the most intelligent species to walk the earth so far, we are also the most greedy and stupid, as we number our days of existance. It becomes more of a priority to harvest the nonproductive riches from the earth, than it does to take care of the people who exist here. How much more backwards can they get in their thinking?

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Left, that's right, the area is very close to Montreal, I didn't realize ya had all the TV channels!
I went to "Expo" there when I was 7 also!
I'm chipping away at the puter probs one at a time with a little help from my friends...
Thanks!

Ellen, the ski areas seem to be averaging about 40 inches of natural base snow, at least the higher elevation means cooler temps, n there's no shortage of people looking for fun either.
I'm glad a natural critter takeover hog has a good side for a change too.
I still wish Al gore was our leader.

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Ellen said...

Snaggle- I'm with you on the Al Gore loss.... still think we got robbed there. I feel more that way now because of the issues coming out about Rove, Delay, et al. That's the beauty of hindsight, huh?

I saw a speech given by Gore last week, and was so mesmerized by his eloquence. The whole time, he kept rhythm, stayed on track, and never once referred to any notes. Not that this makes a great leader, but I felt he would have been better than the bumbler we have there now.

 
At 1:06 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

BTW I had to finish the last statement much shorter than wanted with selective science again...

Ellen, the thing about Al is he's very smart about ecology and environmental issues. The regs the Bush Government people loosened have contributed to loss of free space, added to more allowed toxic air n plant emmissions, and lessened fuel efficiencies.

Gore cares about what we do to help the future condition of the planet. He wouldn't have allowed what Bush did.
Al is my preferred kind of smart...

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - That place sounds like a good spot to snap some photo's. It's sad what man has done to the earth.

You can only think that one day Nature will have had enough of it and just say no more.

Btw, it was really warm here in Philly yesterday. It hit 62 degrees!

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

 
At 2:30 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo, the last few times I went up there I only got to quickly drive by the lake on the way to wedding n then a funeral, with no spare time. wish I had a working cam also, all are busted. I wanna go back for fun sometime.
Happy groundhog day!

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Snag - Yeah sounds like an awesome spot. Get some picts if you can the next time. I'd love to see it.

Have a great weekend!

Peace & Hugs,

- Neo

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo, sorry so long to answer, lots left to do here-
Will see if I can find some old shots one of these days... then scan in
I know posts are more fun with pics...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home