Friday, January 23, 2015

Social Media Amok

Image by SnaggleTooth Jan 2015

 At work the other night, I witnessed something that really made me glad I don't do facebook. A guy I work with, who's a supervisor, checks facebook on his Smart-Phone often, because he won't get in trouble for it. At the beginning of his shift he looked at his phone, n then began freaking out when he learned via FB, that his favorite cousin who was in the military had just passed away. Then he had to read how upset everyone in his family was commenting, n continue his work-shift because there was no one to replace him.

In my opinion, someone should have contacted him in person or at least by phone to deliver such news. What a way to find out a family member is gone! Then he had to keep up a brave front to everyone.

Facebook is taking the place of regular social protocols- n I take issue with this.

In the past year I personally got miffed about my nephew announcing on FB with a pic of baby shoes that he n his wife were expecting their first baby. I don't do FB, n so no one even told me until months later, via some one who saw the FB pic. Then the birth was announced on FB. For several weeks I hadn't heard anything except there was a birth at some point. I still didn't know anything about the child, until I asked some one who could access FB, because no one told me. So I guess without FB, all others are excluded from consideration...

Image by SnaggleTooth Jan 2015
On the desk I have an aged, yellow, zip pak found from cleaning out my parents home many years ago. It's full of hand-written-on cards n notes sent to my parents reacting to the birth announcements sent out for me, the fourth child. Sometimes I read these, n can't believe how wonderful they must have made  my parent feel to get. It's an emotional trip for me, thinking of so many I'd known growing up who'd passed on, to have their writing in my hand these decades later, because the notes  mean so much.

I doubt if any of my decendents will ever have artifacts such as these about themselves to consider.

These days life is so hectic n electric. If you can't pay the bill for it, you will be out in the cold, alone. My Elec bill jumped up a hundred this month. Joy. (Sacastic joy). I knew the heat would make it worse with colder temps- but it's time to be happy at anything above freezing, n I really don't use much stuff, so this is nuts telling myself I must use less.

There are few dinosaurs left who steer clear of the FB privacy loss, just knowing it's "Not for me."  Most I know of who don't do FB are bloggers I met here, n some others are older folks. For those who swear off computers completely (as the Devil's playground some think), life is unbelievably inconvenient now. Even in just getting a tax form you need to jump thru hoops n pay for it too.


Also I am really uncomfortable with the idea of a cell phone being GPS tracked with your name attached everywhere you go. It's an infringement of personal freedom, n an over-step by corporations to be bartered, bought, sold, n stolen. So I have a pre-paid without my name on it.

But the loss of actual personal interaction in life milestones is terrible, I believe.

Having another heck of a tired beyond belief week here, missing many hours of sleep due to construction work being done on ceilings downstairs, n today up in the hall outside my door after only three hours of sleep.

They began the project just in time to make me have a work-week from hell without notice, so I could not prepare for it at all. No one seems to care about politeness or manners lately. That seems to be where culture is heading these days, n if only that could be only on-line so I could Opt-Out!

I need sleep big time... yikes-
Pic is from new cam- of some shiny stuff in a blue bottle, decs found at Micheals %60 off from a few weeks ago. 

9 Comments:

At 10:04 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

I learned of the death of an infant grand niece on Facebook. Sad thing to learn that way.

Facebook is good and bad. Good because I keep up with the family. Bad because stalkers are out there trying to get your private information. Then I think, who wants to know about me?

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Tabor said...

I do like both of the photos equally, but then, I just love color. FB has its place in that I keep in touch with people who live far away and are too busy to call. Personal info (engagements, weddings, births) MUST be delivered personally before being spread across the FB world. That is so self-centered and RUDE. Sorry but I feel strongly about this. It looks like your treasure all your friends and relatives equally.

 
At 4:51 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Gran Annie, I think that's terrible, n exactly what I was addressing. I think we shouldn't let these folks off the hook not to do birth n death announcements because FB is easier. Stalking n theft takes place when you announce a vaca n show pics of nice stuff you have- saw a news story on it.

Tabor, I often can't pick either/or so you get both! Thanks. Thanks for understanding what I'm getting at. I try to be very fair with folks, n yes all are important to me!

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger G. B. Miller said...

I'm impressed by the length of this post. :D

In all seriousness though, people announce major events on FB due to the simple fact that the majority of the people are on FB.

Granted, these people should realize that there are a lot of people who aren't on FB and thus need the consideration of a personal phone call.

Father Nature's Corner

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Hope you got some sleep?

I went back on FB last summer because my aging aunt was now a member, but she died a few months ago, and I just lost the heart to go back on FB. Until yesterday. And I will post some things for the folks far far away.

It's true about the privacy invasion. I can look up people on FB, don't even have to be their friends to see all their pix and see who they are pals with. Nuts.

I do think important things like births and deaths need to be expressed in person or a phone call.

Anyway, glad you blog, 'cause I'd never've met you if you were on FB only!

Going to check your previous post now, to catch up with you.

xooxox

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

I do facebook, but haven't had that kind of experience you describe and that happened to Annie - finding out someone passed away on facebook.

It's how I keep up with people - some that I would have never heard of again. But it also makes me crazy when people post just to be posting. Here's an example: a friend just posted "Happy birthday to two people not on facebook: my awesome brother Larry and Scottish poet Robert Burns." Cute, but really. She does that kind of thing all day.

On the flip side - there's a Georgia couple missing since Friday, who headed out to check out a car for sale that was posted on Craig's List. They haven't been heard from since. So their daughters have taken it to social media and it's now getting national attention. They have a facebook page set up just for this. I so hope they are OK, but am afraid they're not.

Lots of good and lots of bad things on facebook - and I definitely get your point.

 
At 1:50 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

G,B, I must be very tired to rant so long here... You'd think so, but it's tough to convince those ultra-lazy young folks! Thanks

Jannie, Minus over 35 planned hours on day 10 here- But there's always tomorrow in the snow bank!
I got truelly frightened when some one looked up my old HS friends, n got me a pic of their house- Well now I know what they've been up to alright, but they didn't know it was me! Me too! Thanks for your multi-visit!

Lynn, Some folks thrill to have announcements to post- At least when you have a theme like you do, there are always subjects to notice- Which is what is neat about your blog perspective.

There is a huge potential for harm at the hands of the unsavory-

A commercial highlighted on a news Mag show (Extra?) showed a true instance of a couple with tix to the Superbowl, n in real-time a guy ripping off their home while they were gone, n selling it all on Ebay!
Luckily I'm very paranoid, n folks you know are such nice people!

I hope that couple is found n avenged-

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger LL Cool Joe said...

I don't have Facebook and really have no desire to change that. What a tragic way to hear you've lost a family member. Awful.

I don't have a mobile phone, and I don't do Twitter or anything like that, and feel much more emotionally healthy because of it. I blog and do Pinterest and that's enough for me.

 
At 12:44 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

LLcoolJ, Yes, it is awful to find out that way, as I witnessed. I'm glad not to get tempted with so much instant news, I don't know how folks find time to do that stuff, I can barely keep up with this! Never mind all the checking phone tome. Texts already drive me nuts- That's enough inconvenience n interruptions for me- Thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home