Friday, November 02, 2012

MicroBurst

Photo by SnaggleTooth Nov 1 2012




This week I'd planned to go to a store near the same area, so I hunted down n searched out the micro-burst zone which happened two days ago I'd seen on the news.


I saw one tree down near the main drag which leads to the beach across the bay from my village. Then I drove all the way down and back before finally seeing off to the side behind some homes some tall trees were broken off way overhead. The narrow zone was located before a fork on the main road, About 50 feet down two adjacent side roads. The news had reported that over 100 trees were down.



Photo by SnaggleTooth Nov 1 2012
 Some had fallen in the roads and in yards. A clean-up crew with chain saws had finished before I arrived. Only one house was reported badly damaged and there were no injuries. I didn't get a pic of the blue tarp I saw. On the next street over, I parked Little Truck next to a large wooded section across from huge, cut-up tree sections everywhere beside some homes.

I spoke to a resident who was outside attending to some major yard work about what had happened there. A bucket truck was parked in her yard, as she spoke I saw behind her alot of bare tree trunks with ragged, broken ends reaching skyward. At least three had just missed her home. Behind her place was the damaged house. 



Right across from us where I'd parked I noticed alot of felled trees in the stand of mature, sixty-foot plus tall, white Pine trees.

It was an eerie sight, tree trunks broken off twenty feet high, half a forest area fallen, and the woman's 200 year old Oak tree chain-sawed into huge hunks after being removed from blocking her road. 

 While we were chatting, suddenly a loud crashing, wood splintering sound grabbed our attention. Twenty feet right behind where Little Truck was a large tree broke, crashing into another tree, shattering into pieces and falling on top of the recent wood pile! There was zero breeze...


I said "OMG, I better move my car, it isin't over!" The poor, stressed lady was scared. She ran inside to call someone I think. Such a freak, unpredictable thing happening- But I didn't panic. (I never do. Brave or foolhardy? No- it's PTSD- n a strong journalist streak). I stopped another minute n took a few more pics next to the  the still crumbling trees before driving around n out. I am so lucky!

Photo by SnaggleTooth Nov 1 2012







Yep, a wake-up "Don't become complacent!" call... As I continue in search of strange phenomenon...
... I still love trees!

11 Comments:

At 6:10 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

Oh my - I am so glad you, the lady, and little truck weren't hit! Falling trees are so scary. I heard a hurricane story on NPR this week about a farmer who died from falling tree/limbs while out checking his fences during the storm. So sad.

 
At 5:18 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Lynn, Where we were talking, we were under some other large trees, so I think that's why we were so spooked. What a surprise about the tree falling while I was there, when the damage should've been long over. Goes to show it can happen anytime. Sad about all who got it with trees in this storm.

 
At 5:07 AM, Blogger Granny Annie said...

Cannot believe I have been absent from your blog for so long. Happy Little Truck was safe from the falling tree. It does sound like your area was spared the worse wrath of Sandy. Love Mischief's Mascaraed pics.

 
At 4:03 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Gran Annie, I have missed your visits. Little Truck was lucky, being next to all those trees when they dominoed. We didn't flood too bad, but the micro-burst was a remnant of Sandy here. Glad you liked the Halloween pics. Hope you're recovering well.

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Jannie Funster said...

OMG, just so glad you are okay!

I've been away from your blog too long, too. Sorry -- you know it's nothing personal. I think this is actually the first time in a week I've been out on my fave blogs, great to be here.

xoox

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger LL Cool Joe said...

Wow that does sound scary! I bet the sound of the falling tree was loud! I'm so glad you, the lady and your car are safe.

I bet someone will be collecting some of that wood for their fires!

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

JanF, Thanks, it feels good to be spared- Welcome back, anytime! I know how life can say, "No blogging this week!" I'm just glad I can, so I do...

LLcoolJ, Yes it was odd n made me paranoid of falling wood! The piles really made me want a wood stove... Free heat! n tonight below freezing here. Thanks

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger Neo said...

Looks like there won't be a shortage of firewood down there anytime soon. Geez!

 
At 3:20 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo, wish I had a wood stove! No where to put a hearth in here- too "cozy".

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Neo said...

Just get a hollowed out drum canister and go old school with the bon fire!

 
At 2:21 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said...

Neo, Those are against the law here too- they stopped the yearly high-school bonfire! Too bad they didn't mill oak planks- could make furniture. I should make a sculpture out of a hunk, but too heavy to pick up-

 

Post a Comment

<< Home